Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Dopey Insurance Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dopey Insurance Question

As some of you may know, because I posted a long, venting post about it in "Call Room" this weekend, my DH was operating our vehicle this weekend when he collided with another vehicle on the road. The cars were both going at a slow rate of speed and there was only cosmetic damage to the other car (none of any consequence at all to ours). Thankfully, no one was hurt.

Anyhow, I have a super-dopey question. I've never been in an accident where I've caused damaged to another vehicle. The only experience I have is when I was hit by an uninsured motorist and when I smashed my own car door against a pillar. Both times, I had to pay the deductible, of course, then the insurance company paid the remainder of the bill. Safely assuming that this accident my DH just had was his fault, do we pay the deductible here, too? That is, does the deductible apply when the damage is done to a third-party's vehicle? I had assumed so, but a couple of people have told me that the deductible applies only to damage to the policy owner's vehicle. When I called the insurance company to report the claim, they didn't mention it one way or the other.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I can't find our copy of our policy! (Grrrrrr!! I thought I knew exactly where it was filed!). I could call the insurance company (Amica) to get a policy copy, but I thought I might get a preview to expectations, if anyone has any thoughts. I just need to prepare for the bill, if that's the case.

Re: Dopey Insurance Question

Typically, your insurance will cover the costs to repair both vehicles, you will pay the deductible and be ready for them to raise your rates at the next review.

sucks.

My aunt works for Progressive and she tells some crazy stories...

Jenn

Comment

Hmmm..I was in a fender bender (my fault) and paid the deductible when I paid the repair bill. I'm not sure how it would have worked if I didn't need repairs. The insurance company called me a day or two later -- I'm sure they'll do the same for you. I'd wait for them to contact you, expecting to have a bill for the deductible.

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake
        The insurance company called me a day or two later -- I'm sure they'll do the same for you. I'd wait for them to contact you, expecting to have a bill for the deductible.
        Yes, this is what will happen. You'll get a call from your agent who will tell you what the damages were to the other car, and to expect a bill in the mail for the deductible. I think you can even pay over the phone by credit card

Then, you'll see your rates go up.
        married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

thanks! this is pretty much what I thought, but I just wanted to feel out others for their experiences!

Comment

Working...
          X