Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

countertop surface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• countertop surface

Granite or solid surface (specifically Staron Tempest collection)? Why? Thanks!

Sally
    Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Re: countertop surface

We had granite, and it was ok. I was scared of solid surface since it shows burn marks. We had high gloss, and it showed every little spot. We had to wipe it down with vinegar water then buff it to get it clean. I would have gotten the honed granite if I had to do it over.
    Mom to three wild women.

Comment

I'd get quartz. Absolutely hands down. Consumer reports ratings says quartz (Zodiaq, silestone, etc.) is first, then granite. Solid surface is way down the list after ceramic tile, stainless steel, and even laminate.

Natural stone. The most popular are granite and marble, which offer an array of colors and stand up well to heat. But marble falls far behind when it comes to cuts, scrapes, and impact resistance. Both materials need regular resealing for stain resistance. And the grain you see in a display may not be what arrives on the truck (we suggest picking the piece you want from a stone yard). Limestone, slate, soapstone, and sandstone are softer than granite and far more fragile. Like all stone, they're expensive partly because they're heavy and hard to install. Price: $40 to $100 per square foot, installed.

Quartz (engineered stone). This material combines small stone chips, resins, and pigments. Today's can imitate granite and marble more realistically. While it won't resist impacts as well as granite, it costs roughly the same and fends off stains far better without needing to be sealed-reasons why quartz is the fastest-growing countertop option. Price: $45 to $90 per square foot, installed.
      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

We have silestone and I have to say that I love it. It's been fantastic. I've had laminate and I've had wood and I've had composite and have cooked on mom's granite and this is by far easier to clean and keep clean.

Jenn

Comment

Thanks for the responses so far. We are waffling between quartz and solid surface and need to find out the cost difference. Honestly, I have laminate and am perfectly happy with it. :huh: But I don't want to spend a ton of money on a house and then make a stupid choice on the countertop, you know?

Comment

We've been pondering countertops as well, and since we're on a really tight budget, it really limits our options.

I did find granite tile to be a reasonable option. There's even a couple of companies that have it already figured out for you. We especially liked the Benissimo Systems because the corners and backsplash are already cut and polished. http://www.benissimosystems.com It really does look like a slab but it costs about a 1/3 of what a slab would.

You may also want to check out http://www.bedrockcreations.net.

Keep us posted on what you choose because I'm still debating.
            Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

We had granite in our last kitchen but with a honed finish (matte) so we didn't have the spotting issues. I didn't find the sealing requirements to be a problem.

When we remodel this kitchen, we will use either granite or quartz. I would love to have a section of the counter be marble but I'm not sure which section or how it would look.

I think it is a smart move in terms of resale even though this is a long-term house for you, Sally. I really like not having to worry about putting hot pots or dishes on the counter.

Comment

This Old House just did a huge article about kitchen remodels. and someone (Domino?) ran an article recently about recycled glass coutnertops- basically the glass is imbedded into some kind of base- they looked awesome but we don't need kitchen counters (knock wood). If we did, I'd be all over this counter because it looked amazing.

Jenn

Comment

I have seen some amazing concrete countertops too.
                  Mom to three wild women.

Comment

The recycled glass is gorgeous. It doesn't really fit with the style of our kitchen otherwise I would be thinking about that too.

One downside of concrete, stone, quartz is that it is so hard. If you drop a glass on it, it will surely break.

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake
                      One downside of concrete, stone, quartz is that it is so hard. If you drop a glass on it, it will surely break.
                      Yup! Glasses, plates, everything will break... My parents go through dishes like nothing else.
                      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

See, of everything that can happen to a countertop, stuff getting dropped on it is probably the MOST likely at my house, more than me putting down a hot pan on it or trying to chop onions directly on it.....I don't do either of those things now anyway. So if something drops on a solid surface countertop, it *may* not break, and even if it damages the countertop, the damage can be repaired, which is not true for either granite or quartz, as far as I can tell. Solid surface also gets the highest marks for being hygienic, and although I am not a germophobe, my somewhat slovenly housekeeping habits make that characteristic appealing!

I have seen the recycled glass countertops, too, and I think they look great. I have been thinking about this WAY too much.....last night I dreamed I was in my new kitchen and the countertop was cracked and had burn marks all over it.

While we are at it, let's talk about backsplashes. I would like something decorative behind my cooktop. (NOT a mural, per DH's preference, which is fine with me, although I found a really cute kitty mural online......j/k ). Anyway, I really love bungalows, arts & crafts, and Frank Lloyd Wright/Prairie inspired architecture. I picked a front door with prairie-looking details in the glass. I don't have the knowledge or the $$$$ to fully embrace this style, but I was thinking that behind the cooktop, it would be cool to have a tile backsplash that is reminiscent of the prairie-style stained glass windows, very geometric, using some glass tile. Do you guys think that would look weird? I tried to find something similar online and found nothing, which immediately made me second guess my idea. I am meeting with the cabinet guy (also the countertop/backsplash guy) Wednesday morning, so that is why I am stressing about all of this. I'm SO GLAD that this is all taking place during the summer!

I really appreciate all of the input!

Comment

Sally-

Have you checked the archives at This Old House magazine?

J.

Comment

We have granite and are happy with it. I used to dislike it because of the issue with streaks, but the Method Daily Granite cleaner is fabulous and doesn't leave streaks. I have only sealed it once in four years and we haven't run into any problems.

I think we'll have soapstone countertops in our next house because of the durability and it will be a better fit style-wise.

Comment

Tara,

Your house sounds like mine. Okay, something you said confused me....."synthetic" vs. Corian. I thought they were all synthetic, and that they just had different brand names. That's what the cabinet guy told me, anyway! Here is what we are looking at: http://www.staron.com/tempest/colors.jsp in "glimmer" or "caraway". You can't tell from the swatch, but some of the "pieces" in the countertop are translucent and you can look down into the surface a little bit.

Comment

Working...
                              X