Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What age to start piano lessons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What age to start piano lessons?

I started piano lessons when I was 4. Other than that, my kiddos are obviously too little ... so that's all I've got for you.
    ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
    -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Re: What age to start piano lessons?

We're is a similar position. DD wants to take piano and has been consistently asking for the last 6 months. We are getting our Craig's List piano today (:wee.

She can't read yet. I am going to teach her a few songs on the black keys -- things like Hot Cross Buns. I might do one or two lessons to give her some skills to play around with. I don't know. We did a modified Suzuki approach for DD1 with violin (partly by sound recognition and also by color coding the sheet music). Feelings run deep on Suzuki! It seems to be fine and she is learning to read music now.

Comment

I think the Suzuki repertoire is great. My brother learned violin with the books and a variation on the method. He started when he was 6.

I think if there's an interest coming from your kid, go for it!
      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Our new preschool teacher's DH is a PhD in piano. We just asked him this week when and he said 5-6 yrs old.
        Mom to three wild women.

Comment

I agree with Julia's mom. I started when I was 4, but I was also reading at that age. My boys have started ~2nd grade, except for Nathan, who started last fall and has passed his older brother as far as what he can play.....but he LOVES to play and even before lessons was spending (easily) an hour a day playing on either the keyboard or the piano.

I think that boys need to start a little later than girls (generally) because their fine motor skills lag behind and it can get really frustrating for them.

Sally
          Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Alfred is really user-friendly, too. It is what I used when I taught and what my kids have used. They have some software, too, to help support their curriculum, and I think some of their books come with a cd so the kids can "play along" with a larger group. I am sure Bastien has the same kind of stuff.

You can browse method books at http://www.jwpepper.com. Just click on "piano" on the opening page.

Sally
            Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I started piano lessons when I was five - on Suzuki. I learned to read music a couple of years later. My ear is very strong likely due to Suzuki, but my sight-reading abilities are lacking (although I'm not sure if that's really due to Suzuki or just the fact that my teacher wasn't as strict with that).

It's funny because I actually don't remember a time when I couldn't read music, and I don't remember actually learning how to do it. It just came naturally after knowing the notes on the piano and matching it up with the notes on the page...
              Wife to a urologist; Mom to 2 wonderful kiddos

Comment

Thanks for those suggestions, Julia and Sally.

Annie, do you have a piano or are you planning to get one? I think I will check out those books. I'll let you know how they go.

Comment

I learned violin/viola on Suzuki and have taught many young kids to play with Suzuki. You start off learning by ear, but then you learn to read music. It's all a matter of what you want to do- if you want your kids to start off young, make sure to make it fun and not something they "have to do." I think you can instill a love of music in kids without making it a chore. BUT my sister-in-law teaches piano, and doesn't start them until 5. She just doesn't like teaching younger kids basically, but feels they should start later. She does not teach the Suzuki method.

There's something to be said for a piano or keyboard at home that is there for play and learning, and some maracas and drums and fun things for kids to play with. It's all a matter of what you want to do- you can make anything work!

Comment

We started DD1 at five. Her piano teacher won't take students until they can read and sit for at least 20 minutes. DS1 is reading and will start K this fall, and will start piano.

Her teacher uses the Faber and Faber series. I am taking lessons as well, and using their adult piano series. DS and DD had a music teacher in preschool who was head of the music association and taught at the local university. When I told her what books DD1 was using, she said they are a really good series- There are 4 books per level: Performance, Technique, Lesson, and Theory.

DD1 also started off with violin, and is doing strictly piano as she struggled bowing and fingering at the same time. The preschool music teacher said that the piano is the best instrument to start on, and after that other instruments are easy to pick up. We have a friend who said they did the same thing with their daughter, who's dream is to be a professional orchestral musician. Schyler started on piano, and now at 11 is playing violin, harp, flute and piano.

Good luck!
                    Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

I would like to take lessons too. I have the name of a teacher who might be willing to come to our house. That would be huge, at least for a kid's lesson. I might prefer the chance to get out.

Comment

Working...
                      X