Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Is there anyone else in family medicine here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there anyone else in family medicine here?

Just curious, I've seen tons of different specialties so far but no family medicine. Anyone hoping to practice rural family medicine? That's what we are... hope to connect with some other family medicine folks!

Re: Is there anyone else in family medicine here?

DH is in a family med residency and will be going into rural care, too.

Comment

Yay, that's great! Any others?

Comment

Don't think so - unless they just lurk.

Comment

ditto. i can't think of anyone else.
          ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Not as an MD but an NP! Adult Primary Care.
            Luanne
            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

DH is med-peds.

Comment

Great! melfitz, we interviewed at a med-peds program in WI... awesome area!

Comment

Originally posted by MamaChristie
                  Great! melfitz, we interviewed at a med-peds program in WI... awesome area!
                  Where did you interview? I wonder if it's with DH's practice. There aren't too many med-peds practices in the Milwaukee area that I know of.

Comment

He interviewed in a town smack dab in the center of the state, very small with little nearby. =) It definitely wasn't for us, I need Target!

Comment

Originally posted by *Lily*
                      Question - what is Rural family med? The only rural place I can think of is Appalachia. And the midwest. :>

Seriously, what makes a practice rural?

Kind of the same thing, really. Have you ever watched to the old TV series Northern Exposure? (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098878/) It's about the adventures of a doc who has to practice medicine in a tiny Alaskan town for a few years to repay his student loans. It's a LOT like that show, sans the Alaska specific goofiness.

Rural medicine usually means the doc is one of maybe a couple in that end of the county (if he/she is lucky), there might be a small hospital -- maybe a dozen beds including the ER, sometimes there's a clinic owned by the county or city, and the docs do a little bit of everything, including a fairly healthy amount of ob/gyn and some surgical procedures.

We'll be returning to WA state which has vast amounts of rural areas. Pretty much anything away from the I-5 corridor is likely to be rural-ish. And eastern WA is predominantly farming communities. I don't know...maybe rural family medicine is a bigger thing in the west where the states are larger and people are much more spread out? :huh:

Comment

Working...
                      X