Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Travel suggestions for August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel suggestions for August

A childhood friend from Ukraine is coming to visit for two weeks in August and I'm trying to come up with some ideas as to where to take her. It's her third time in the States and she's already seen Boston, DC and NY (although we'll be back there anyway). I'm definitely taking her to Philly and possible Lancaster (Amish). I have also thought about Chicago but the plane tickets keep going from $200 to $350 and back (it's still #1 on our list though). I'd like to stay north of DC as neither of us is a big lover of heat and on this side of midwest. What other places in NE or midwest would be interesting to visit for a day/weekend?

She's almost fluent in English and we tend to sway toward cultural activities and away from sport related ones. We're also not big on hiking/camping (as in no National Parks). I've been tossing around St. Louis and Baltimore as potentials. Is there anything we can do around Chicago (like Milwaukee) or on the way there or back?

Re: Travel suggestions for August

I'll send you a PM.
    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Plane tickets to Atlanta are usually reasonable. There is always a lot to do there- zoo, world of coke, cnn, aquarium, stone mountain, good shopping. It will be boiling hot, but maybe the same as Chicago?

I would also vote for Charleston, SC but tickets there arent usually a deal and it is probably one of the hottest places on earth in August.
      Mom to three wild women.

Comment

If you disliked San Antonio in late spring, then Atlanta in August will just melt you. Sadly, the same with St. Louis, actually. We went to St. Louis in late August last year, and each day was over 100, and the humidity is insane.

Comment

What about Montreal or Toronto?
          Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

So I guess check the forecast before we buy tickets anywhere. The three times I've been to Chicago, have all been in the summer (July I think) and I didn't think the weather was bad at all. But may be it's different in August.

I'm planning on a trip to Longwood Gardens in the Brandywine Valley too. Newport is not a bad idea. The only reason, I didn't add it is that I've been to all the mansions twice already. I was wondering if there's anything interesting in NH, ME or VT. Annie, what did you think of Saratoga?

She's trying to get a visa for Canada but isn't sure she has enough time for that.

Comment

i'm not annie, but saratoga is nice and i think you would enjoy it.

i would have to say that with your likes and dislikes...vt and nh are not the place for you. maine, however, could be an option. the coastal towns are beautiful and there is alot of shopping. depending on how far up the coast you go, it's not far from boston.

have fun with your friend!
              ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Bite the bullet and fly to San Francisco? Guaranteed not hot weather, and cultural stuff abounds.
                Mom to three wild women.

Comment

CA would really depend on the price of tickets. I'd love to take her there but if the tix are $500, it's just not happening.

Sylvia, any particular coastal towns I can look into? Can we take the train or fly there? I'm not a big fan of 6+ hour car trips.

Comment

are you a beach person?
                    ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

What about Lake Placid and that part of New York?

or the Canada thing would be fun, too. Do Niagra Falls, too.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by rainbabies
                        are you a beach person?
                        Depends on the beach. I liked the beaches on the Cape.

Jenn, the problem with Lake Placid is that the only way to reach it is to drive and it's about 6-7 hours away. Canada will depend on whether or not she'll get the visa.

Comment

Baltimore has the national aquarium and science center and the tall ship but it is pretty hot in August.

Rollercoasters? You could spend a day at Cedar Point in OH.

Or Mount Washington in NH? There's awesome river tubing too in West VA or New England.
                          Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                          Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by ekreter

Rollercoasters? You could spend a day at Cedar Point in OH.
                            Thank you! I needed that laugh!!! You're relatively new here, but the mental image (for me) of Vishenka wandering through Cedar Point in her well-appointed outfit and kitten heels gasping every 2 minutes at the fashion tragedies that occur there just makes me giggle. Sadly many couples there like to dress in matching outfits - it's painful even for me.

I don't mean to poke fun at you ekreter ... please don't take it that way.

Comment

We live about 15 minutes from Dorney Park and it's very similar fashion/crowd wise. Oh, and I don't wear kitten heels to action parks. That's what colorful Pumas are for.

We also have pretty decent tubing and rafting on the Delaware Water Gap. I was thinking of heading down to the Jersey Shore for some boardwalk experience (which btw isn't American at all but yet another borrowed European trend) and I've heard that Delaware has some decent beaches. All of this is within a 2-3 hour drive and doesn't seem to warrant a further trek. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X