Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

I must be blind...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I must be blind...

I have this horrible knack for searching - really searching - for something...at the store, at home, in a book, etc...

And as soon as I ask someone for help - it's right in front of my face...so here goes nothing:

I thought that there was a spot where people posted their "reviews" on their residency programs. I thought that it was different from where people posted about the general overview of the specialty. Where (if anywhere) is this info?

DH got his Step 1 results yesterday - and we (I) want to start researching early!
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Re: I must be blind...

They're in the 'front end' of the site- not in the forums.

Jenn

Comment

Ah ha! Thanks so much!
      Jen
      Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

after we're done, i would be more than happy to let everyone know how *awesome* this program is. i have actually gone to scutwork to fill out a review in the past, but because you have to submit all your real info, i decided against it. dh speaks his mind enough w/o my help right now.
        ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

The opther problem is that a lot of us posted our residency reviews before the 80 hour work week was implemented. (not that the programs have necessarily followed those rules).

I think they're as accurate as they can be, given that medicine is a small and cannibalistic profession.

Jenn

Comment

I think you're more likely to get honest reviews by letting us know what he's going into and then PM'ing those that have spouses in that area or at other programs in the area of the country you'd like to be in.

Good luck!
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

He's leaning strongly toward orthopedic surgery. We are basically looking for a program that meets two criteria:
              1) Excellent opportunity for him
              2) Easy for me - this means that we can easily live in a house (rented or bought) with a yard for the dogs, I can drive to the store and park easily, that we have a garage, etc. We are planning on having kids in residency, so I don't want to be hauling 2 dogs, a baby, a stroller, and groceries up flights of stairs Nor do I want to worry about having to pick up dog poop immediately after they are deposited in the grass

Any suggestions would be most welcome!
              Jen

Comment

We're not ortho, but I believe it is fairly competitive, so you all should take care to craft a list in which you could go very far down and still be happy. We know a surgery stud who matched at program number 6.

O.K. that's it, the entire sum of my sage advice. Good luck.

Kelly
                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Do you have an area of the country you'd like to be in? Sometimes you don't have that control but its a good place to start.

I don't know much about the Ortho here but you could do all of the rest of those things if you can handle the weather. I have a few friends in the program here and while its hard they're happy for the most part.
                  Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

We're in ortho, but in Canada so it might not be terribly helpful. I have ortho wife friends in 4 states so if it happened to be in one of those I may be able to help. We don't/didn't have an 80 hour rule here so you can imagine what my review might be

The one consistant thing I hear about ortho everywhere is that it is very comp. so I agree that I would make sure that you would be OK with all of the ones you list to match.

PM me if you want and let me know which areas you are thinking about....

Comment

Not to be a downer but DH was also all about ortho in the beginning of M3, even did research in the field. Then the surgical rotation came...and the rest is history. He should wait until he's done with most rotations before making a decision.

But I agree with Cheri, PM those on the site who live in the area you're looking into or are currently in that specialty.

Comment

Ortho is extremely competitive. For the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone would want to do this specialty.

It is HARD, HARD, HARD, HARD!!!! Of the residents and programs I have encountered in ortho, I would say 90% break the 80-hour work week "rule." Do not count on being the exception.

Also, in ortho, you are lucky to match, let alone where. If his Step I score isn't really high, he might not have a chance. I have known people who did not match in ortho with prefect looking paper apps. Again, I don't know why anyone wants to do this specialty. I guess dh would say that he loves what he does. He loves ortho, absolutely lives and breathes it every second, but he hates his job. We are 49 weeks from the finish line, and he would tell you that it wasn't worth it, and if he had known then what he knows now, he would have chosen ER.

So, if ortho is the be all end all, good luck to you, and I am sorry.

This program, FWIW has what you are looking for, but I can't recommend it in good faith to anyone. We are compensated very well, live in a nice big house, in a nice neighborhood, with a large fenced in yard. The cost of living is LOW, and dh's commute is 18 minutes. He gets a lot of surgery experience, and overall, the program has been good as far as teaching him to be a good surgeon, and he won't have a problem passing his boards. All that said, don't come here. I don't know if I would have different advice about another program if I were there either, though. I think if you asked a different spouse from my residency, they would have a different take, but I hate it to the core of my being. There.
                        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Davita has authorized me to say that the KU program has been quite tolerable as far as surgical programs go. PGY1 was rather light over all (I saw her husband far more than I saw my own husband during his PGY1 of general surgery way back when ...). PGY2 has picked up and he's working a lot more these days.

She's heading out of town tomorrow which is why I'm answering on her behalf. I'm sure you could PM her with any questions though.

Comment

I agree with Vishenka in that he probably needs to go through the next year of rotations before he can solidly say which area he wants to go into. There are lots of stories of people who go into the MS3 year leaning towards one specialty, and start their MS4 year applying to something completely different. The MS4 of my house was always wanting peds, and for about 3-4 months he wanted family med, and then he did his peds rotation. Now he is officially applying for peds. Everyone is different in that either the MS3 year helps them shore up their previous specialty choice or sends them in a new direction altogether. Just support him in whatever he chooses at the end of next year.

On another note: When did everyone else begin scouting out residency programs? A few people mentioned that they or their SO started looking before MS2. Are we starting too late?
                            Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

sent a pm instead

Comment

Working...
                              X