Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

the Manifesto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the Manifesto

As I was mowing the grass yesterday, I was mulling over the things that I have learned in the 8 years of this ultra extravagent lifestyle I live being married to a dawkter:

1) If the yard needs to be mowed, just mow it yourself because the code compliance people will cite you before the dawkter gets it done.

2) If the house needs to be painted, figure out a time to do it when the dawkter is no where to be found, because otherwise they 'help'.

3) In selecting the colors for said painting project, pick what YOU like because the dawkter is too clueless to even notice.

4) Dont bother with decorating the bedroom, unless you're doing it for yourself. For the dawkter, it's just the place where sleep (and rarely, sex) happens.

5) If you don't know how to do the home maintenance that needs to be done, either hire someone or go get the book from the library.

6) Don't plan nice dinners on call days.

7) Always go separately to events that occur on call days.

8) Accept that you will have to attend social functions if the boss says so.

9) but also accept the fact that the dawkter will have to go to social functions and you will not be included. (which is good, because they're usually really boring)

10) the holiday party will more than likely suck.

11) It's OK to plan a vacation and even take the vacation if you really can't afford it. It's a downpayment on mental health.

12) It's OK to ask them to deal with the pager in whatever way makes life easier for YOU. It's not your job, after all.

13) It's OK to ask the dawkter, in fact to EXPECT the dawkter to pick up the slack for child management. It won't happen, but they need to feel the heat.

14) You will need your own activities that you enjoy, and you will need to do them. Even if it's one of the rare days that the dawkter is home. Don't sacrifice more than you already are.

15) Yes, all of the other parents will think you're a single parent. That's ok, maybe someone cute will flirt with you.

feel free to add more at your leisure.

Jenn

Re: the Manifesto

very nice, jenn.
    ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

This was great!
      I thought I was the only one dealing with 4 *sigh*

Comment

Well done, Jenn! I love it!
        married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Too true.

Comment

words to live by!
            Needs

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
              7) Always go separately to events that occur on call days.
              I learned this one the hard way during intern year, after sitting by myself in the restaurant with our sushi dinner while DH had to go into the hospital.
              ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
              -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I love your list!

I'll try to get creative & add more when I've caught up on sleep after last night's fight over THIS one:

13) It's OK to ask the dawkter, in fact to EXPECT the dawkter to pick up the slack for child management. It won't happen, but they need to feel the heat.
                ... especially when you're frantically trying to get the house clean and the deep dish pizza (that HE requested for a guest HE wanted to have over) into the oven on time.

*sigh* Be back after a nap.

Comment

OK - my additions:

16) Warn your families at the beginning of residency that the dawkter will not be able to attend Christmases. Make it clear that if they solve the problem by having all 25 family members stay at your house each year, they will need to do the cooking.

17) Bring goodies to the hospital, if it's a smaller one, periodically to help some of the young staff remember that the dawkter is married. This doesn't hurt even if the dawkter is a quiet, oblivious kind of person.

18) If you send regular text messages to the dawkter to keep him up to date with his kids' development, transfer those messages into a memory book before deleting them.

Comment

That list is great! I don't anything to add yet, but I'll be sure to share if something comes to mind. I've recently been learning about number 4 though! I finally installed curtain rods that I had hoped DH could do. Took me 2 hours to do something he could have done in 20 mins, but I'm super proud of my handywork and now I have curtains!

Comment

19). Be prepared for all special occassions and holidays to be moved around and planned around his schedule. Luckily they will still fall within the same month (i.e. your birthday will be whatever day off he has during that month and Thanksgiving is whatever free weekend happens in November).

Comment

Love these. But I refuse to mow the lawn. The lawnmower's purpose in my life if to be there for me to set my 2-day old cup from Chick-fil-A or Sonic on to make room for a fresh Diet Coke.

I have become quite the pro at putting together toddler toys. The hardest part is finding a screwdriver. We never have vodka in the house, just rum.
                        Veronica
                        Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Good one!

J.

Comment

21) Don't believe a word the good dawkter or his program director says about the schedule. It will always be tougher than they say it will be.

Comment

Love this list!
                              It's better than constantly :banghead:

Comment

Working...
                              X