Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Salvation Army

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salvation Army

I am trying to be a good person and donate a lot of clothes and shoes to the Salvation Army in NY. I have about 4 bags worth of mens and women's clothes....I thought this would be an easy process. I was wrong

Step 1) First I called the 800 number on the SA website with my cell phone (old MA number) and get an office in Worcester, MA and they give me the NY number. The number they gave me does not work
    Step 2) I use my little sister's phone to make the call because she has a NY number and when I get through to them they ask how many bags I have and I tell them 4. They tell me they need 5 minimum to do a pick up but that I should really be calling the Bronx phone number since we are in northern Manhattan and closer to the Bronx office....Whatever....
    Step 3) I call the Bronx office and they tell me "We don't have anything open for pick up until at least late October" WTH :huh: So I have to wait 2 months with big bags in my small apartment for a possible late October pick up date....no thanks. Then he tells me to call the Manhattan office again and see what they can do.
    Step 4) I call the Manhattan office and tell them my situation and he says that my zipcode is not in their pick up range and so they really can't help me.

So basically, I have all these great clothes to donate (some with tags on them) and can't seem to find anyone to pick them up! The SA should have more drop off locations because this is ridiculous.
    Danielle
    Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Re: Salvation Army

I had a similar experience with a local charity store here last week. I had four partially full bags in, and as I brought the last one in, the person in there said " we only accept three bags at a time, we are not taking toys today, or blankets or sheets or winter clothes.' So basically I would have had to take one bag away, plus sort through all of it to take out what they werent accepting that particular day. She then told me " if we took everything people dropped off we would never get our job done' Well I can see that point, but it is a charity that runs on donations and being super picky about what you will accept on a day to day basis doesnt seem like the best way to raise money. I for one will not take my stuff to that store every again.

Sorry for the hijack.
    Mom to three wild women.

Comment

I had the same problem with both NY and Bronx offices. It took forever to make an appt and then I had to spent an entire day at home waiting for them and in the end they didn't show up. When I called to ask when they're planning on coming they got all pissy and hung up on me. I ended up throwing everything out. It was just too much pain figuring out what to do with it all.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, oceanland....Unfortunately, the tricky thing about donating in NYC is that the Salvation Army is one of the few (if only) organization that does pick ups and with no car and 6 months pregnant, they were my only option. I tried calling other places but they don't pick up and I worry that what happened to Cumberland could happen to me. I can't fathom getting a cab and paying $25+ dollars to donate something. I really don't want to throw these away but I am getting close to it. ARGGHH!!! So frustrated.
        Danielle
        Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

If they're at all dressy, call Dress for Success or Suited for Change- they may be able to coordinate a pick-up.

Jenn

Comment

What DCJenn said . Or just pay for the cab; you'll get way more than that back in tax write-off, and you won't have thrown away perfectly good clothes, that way. :huh:
            Sandy
            Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Freecycle.org
              Luanne
              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
              X