Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

writing a CV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• writing a CV

Does anyone here help their spouse with their CV?

I am in the process of reformatting husband's CV. I written resumes for people before and have googled CVs and found [too] many sites. So, I thought I would go to the people in the know.

Some resources state that a CV is more detailed/ lengthy. "It includes a summary of your educational and academic backgrounds as well as teaching and research experience, publications, presentations, awards, honors, affiliations and other details"
    Another resource says it should be shorter than two pages. I can't put a summary of his experience without going over two pages. I am finding conflicting info

What is a good site/ resource for medical CVs?

Re: writing a CV

*will be watching*

DH doesn't really want help with that stuff though. :huh:
    Alison

Comment

DH and I just finished his. His school should be able to provide a sample of styles that you guys can use to get started. It will vary dramatically for some folks because a lot of students come straight from undergrad and don't have any prior full time work or research experience. I hope they can help you with that.
      Danielle
      Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

When I was writing mine after my internship (veterinarian), I was told that a CV was lengthier than a resume. The CV should include research and publications and more academic stuff than a resume typically does....most are longer than 2 pages. If I was continuing on in applying for residency (what I originally wanted) or trying to stay in academia I would go for the CV....if I was heading out into the private practice world (which I did) I should stick closer to resume type stuff.

I would think in the human med side, it'd be similar. If I was going for a private practice/clinic type job then I would focus more on skill set (special courses for special procedures, stuff like that)...and less on research/pubs. If I was trying for a university/pharma/more academic type job, then I'd focus more on publications, etc.
        Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

My CV is 12 pages long! Basically, it's an academic document showcasing anything and everything that was accomplished during school and training. If you're interested in seeing mine, I'm happy to share it with you.
          Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

I know that the military has a very specific outline that they want- (go figure, huh?) He had to include his various awards, the trainings that he's had, where he was stationed, what he did, etc. in addition to all of the medical BS like publications and degrees/certifications/trainings. I think he just asked someone at work for a copy of theirs and was also given a sample from whomever wanted it the last time. They have 'official' forms they have to complete every so often, too.

Jenn

ETA: I've changed jobs so many times that my resume is three pages long- and that's not including all of the jobs, just the biggies!

Comment

I help med students and residents with their CVs...and even a few faculty members. Ditto to what others have said about including e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g. Pubs (include posters), presentations, research, committee work, special assignments, awards, teaching, professional group affiliations, lobbying (many of my students are part of their state AMA student chapter), etc.

Some students only have a page or two - depending on how many extra-curricular activities they have and some faculty's cvs are 20-25+ pages long.
              Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

for your responses ...
                further question then - if I include everything - how much of a description do I put in?
                Additionally, some CVs have the intro paragraph on the top and others not - do you include the paragraph?

Comment

I helped DH with his CV, it's currently only 2 pages but he did very minimal research and only one publication. Now that he sees the CVs of applicants for post-training jobs, some are hysterical. One guy had about 5 pages, on which he listed all the books he read (fiction) in the past year, another birthdate and place for him and his wife, the list of crazyness goes on and on. I would stick to what is relevant to his career, otherwise his CV might be going around as a joke of what not to do.

Comment

Originally posted by shrinkjamie
                    My CV is 12 pages long! Basically, it's an academic document showcasing anything and everything that was accomplished during school and training. If you're interested in seeing mine, I'm happy to share it with you.
                    Thanks Jamie - I sent you a PM with my email address. I would really appreciate seeing it!

Originally posted by medpedspouse
                    help med students and residents with their CVs...and even a few faculty members. Ditto to what others have said about including e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g. Pubs (include posters), presentations, research, committee work, special assignments, awards, teaching, professional group affiliations, lobbying (many of my students are part of their state AMA student chapter), etc.
                    Do you include prior affiliations or just present?

Originally posted by Vishenka69
                    One guy had about 5 pages, on which he listed all the books he read (fiction) in the past year, another birthdate and place for him and his wife, the list of crazyness goes on and on. I would stick to what is relevant to his career, otherwise his CV might be going around as a joke of what not to do.
                    That's terrible - for a resume or a CV. Luckily, no need for filler. This is his second medical career; there is a lot to work with. I just want to format it in a way that best highlights his old practice and his new one.

Comment

Originally posted by medpedspouse
                      I help med students and residents with their CVs...and even a few faculty members.
                      Is there an example somewhere I could see? DH let me glance at his, and it looks pretty slick, but I think I remember seeing academic science CVs with a lot more babbling and explanation in them. Is that standard for medicine, or should it be bullet points for easy perusing?
                      Alison

Comment

Working...
                      X