Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Hurricane Gustav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane Gustav

Anyone else note that the NOAA website has Hurricane Gustav as dead center on New Orleans?

We're watching this VERY closely, as I'm sure you all can imagine.

J.

Re: Hurricane Gustov

yeah, I'm a weather freak - I check nhc.noaa.gov every few hours.
    doesn't look good for N.O. right now, but these things can change pretty rapidly. (for your sake, I hope it doesn't veer west...though for michelle's sake, I hope not east either...)
    so whose idea was it to spend billions of dollars rebuilding a city beneath sea level? oh yeah - the corps of engineers....inventors of such wonderful projects such as the draining of the everglades.
    Enabler of DW and 5 kids
    Let's go Mets!

Comment

Please don't get me started on this! Shreveport is one of the areas evacutees go to. And one of the vets at my clinic is IN CHARGE of the whole pet evacuation plan. It's all anyone around here is talking about.
      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I hear ya Michelle-

Apparently the SPCA in N.O. has already starting evacuating animals.

I guess we'll keep an eye on things and be contacting methadone clinics wherever it may hit to offer our services.

Jenn

Comment

Be safe! I'm so bad at geography, but every time I hear about a hurricane on the gulf, I always think of Matt, too. And now I think they're here - but still own the house there. I remember what a PITA it was for me just to deal w/heating our Cleveland house while here .... the ramp up to a hurricane??? Oy.

Comment

Oregon's NDMS team has been activated; they're flying tomorrow to stage in Houston. DH is frustrated that he can't go with them because of school.
            Sandy
            Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Re: Hurricane Gustav

We are also watching closely..my brother and his family in south LA and my aunt and uncle in New Orleans (who lost their home to hurricane Katrina) are getting ready to leave in case it hits.

Comment

Yikes.

My brother and his wife just moved to Tampa, FL (he for fellowship, she for residency). They just got through their first Hurricane (Fay). Interestingly, he was scheduled to take his IM boards the day Fay made landfall so the test was postponed for a week!
                ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Well. This may be a very interesting weekend. i just saw the update that Gustav could easily be a level 4 or 5 hurricane by landfall.

J.

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
                    Well. This may be a very interesting weekend. i just saw the update that Gustav could easily be a level 4 or 5 hurricane by landfall.

J.

and on the anniversary of Katrina no less !!

Comment

This doesn't look like a good labor day to be in Louisiana. But currently showing only a 7% chance of cat 4-5 at landfall (vs. 10% at dissipation)
                      http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphic ... e#contents
                      Enabler of DW and 5 kids
                      Let's go Mets!

Comment

Current forecasts put the chances of cat5 at about 1% for Tuesday am (which is the predicted gulf coast landfall time, right now), but pretty much anything can happen over the gulf. I hope Cuba's battening down the hatches, and that Jamaica and Haiti are OK!

eta: Yeah, what fluff said - the chance of cat4 is at 6%.
                        Sandy
                        Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I'm pretty sure fiddlegirl's family will be evacuating.....she's at her mom's now I think (mid LA), but I'll check in with her this weekend.

Other friend's families have all come up from south LA or will be this weekend. They've already got animals at the shelters here....major Rabies vac shortage trying to make sure all the evacuated animals are current (many aren't current and the ones that are, the clinics are overwhelmed and can't get records printed/faxed quick enough).

We're up at the Ark/La/Tex border so we'll be shielded from the major stuff....but I'm sure we'll see some rain and some tornados.
                          Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

The first buses of evacuees are on their way to the Air Force base, as I type. We're ordering drug testing cups and extra methadone. We've obtained scrubs from the detox unit and the sobering unit is on stand-by for some customers over the weekend and into the following week.

I've contacted the Louisiana Methadone Authority and all of the methadone clinics from New Orleans to Houston. (that's a LOT of people)

It's looking ugly.

Jenn

Comment

stay safe everyone.
                              ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Working...
                              X