Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Labor Day Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Labor Day Weekend

I hope everyone is having a nice holiday weekend although I get the impression from reading this board that "holiday" expectations have to diminish as the spouse gets further into training and practice. But for me this is pretty rough! My first Labor Day Weekend with no kids and husband down in California for school. As my last child graduated from high school and was sent off to college a couple of weeks ago there is no kid prep left. I thought it would be tough as we would always do something all together this last weekend before school (as we were both teachers) but now what?!?

I planned something to do with friends each day but I am heading over to school to organize my supplies as I don't want to clean the house anymore. I already wrote on my calendar to go away for this weekend or visit someone out of town.

P.S. DH school has a four day weekend and he is learning to free dive off the waters of San Clemente Island and so is not even in cell phone range. Makes me realize that we talk 4 or 5 times a day on the phone.

Re: Labor Day Weekend

:grouphug:
    I think the holidays were one of the first big things I noticed were missing. Now, I just always assume he won't be here. Could you use this weekend to maybe treat yourself in town? Day spa and a movie?
    Wife to a Urologist. Mom to DD 15, DD 12, DD 2, and DD 1!
    Native Jayhawk, paroled from GA... settling in Minnesota!

Comment

Have dinner out tonight, movie tomorrow and BBQ on Monday all scheduled. All with different friends so I don't overload anyone. I am glad I stayed in our hometown where we have a social network. My sister in Colorado called to check in and that is my plan for next year.

Comment

Yep- the key to getting through training is to learn to date yourself. I am a great date (for myself)

Jenn

Comment

We don't talk in terms of weekends or holidays in our house. There are two types of days: on shift, and off shift.

DH is on shift all weekend. One of our best friends from med school is off all weekend, and literally has no idea what to do. So, he's coming here to keep the kids and I company while DH works. I'm so excited!
          -Deb
          Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

So sorry to hear about your friends' health.

Comment

Not much. DH working Wed-Monday. We are trying to enjoy the last weekend of summer. The little kiddos start preschool next week. We have been swimming in our kiddy pool and may have friends over on Monday. DH is exhausted.
              Needs

Comment

I went to a birthday party last night. There was tons of German beer! I showed off my new brows, and ate a huge burger from the grill.

Today, I'm going to the golf range with my brother and then a bbq afterwards.

Lily, I'm sorry to hear about your friend.
                married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

DH is on call today (Sunday) and on again tomorrow Monday, so we only had Saturday together. Unfortunately that was spent shopping because his wardrobe was in desperate need of an update. The only other thing we did was take DD to the lab to get her blood drawn since it was required by her preschool. Needless to say that was a blast. Poor baby had 4 shots and a blood draw within a week.
                  Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Ouch for her Charlene. I had an unexpected delight of going out to dinner with one of my adult daughters - just the two of us! It just worked out spontaneously. Delicious Italian restaurant that we had never visited before. Portland Oregon has GREAT restaurants.

Comment

We just got back from a weekend in Saugatuck (little resort town on the western side of Michigan). We had a blast! Ate awesome food, played at the beach, rode a chain ferry, watched the boats go by on the river, fed the ducks (I accidentally typed "dicks" there but decided to change it). The only hard part was that DS#2 (6mo) did NOT sleep well, that was tough with all of us crammed into a tiny motel room. We're all pretty tired today, but it was a really fun weekend!
                      ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                      -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

We've had a quiet weekend because the youngest two have been sick with colds and little crabby. Tonight (mon) we are kicking off soup group with a bbq at our house. We grilled ribs. I hope they are good! Our friend caught a salmon and is bringing that to share. Otherwise, a last hurrah for all the kids before we get back into the school routine. I can't believe it is September 1st already!

Comment

We had some med school friends visiting Friday night, we had a great time and got to meet their new little girl. These are probably our best friends from medical school and we don't get to see them near enough. Saturday we cleaned out the garage - fun! Then we went to a department picnic for DH, it was actually fun. It was at one of the consultant's houses, they have a great deck and backyard. While there one of the other staff told DH that we could have their kid bike trailer if we picked it up. So yesterday he went and got it and cleaned it up, did some minor repairs and then today we went for a ride. Pictures are in Adele's blog. All in all its been a nice weekend.
                          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Ummm, DH volunteered to work for the weekend

I was pretty disappointed as it is our first weekend here in the new fellowship (he has been here since June) and the kids start school tomorrow....UGH!
                            He left to operate at 1:30....no sign of him............sigh! I think I won't talk about it anymore right now......

Comment

Working...
                            X