Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

My Big Kitty is Sick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Big Kitty is Sick

Hi guys-

I'm just posting because I'm totally bummed. My big kitty Rascal, aka the Fat Bastard is doing very poorly at the Vet right now.

OK- he's 12, with Diabetes and a Heart Murmur so I knew this day was going to happen and probably sooner rather than later. He started having seizures yesterday morning- and seemed to recover, then last night had another one. (meanwhile, eating, drinking-etc) We took him to the Emergency Vet and they discovered that he was severely hypoglycemic- blood sugar was 41 and it's supposed to be 100-110!

So, that's not a good sign, since we just had him tested two weeks ago and everything was fine. I picked him up from the Vet ER and took him to the regualar Vet this morning and he was much better (complaining and everything) but my Vet just called and said that he's seized twice since I dropped him off- and this is the weird part- all of his blood tests are fine- glucose, thyroid, etc.

He has allergies and has been really affected by pollen this week- but that's not unusal for him. He does sneeze until he gets a nosebleed sometimes (he's usually given steroids for it) but she says she can't get the bleeding to stop. Also, it's only on the left side. I think he has a tumor and to be honest, I've thought it for a while, even though all of his testing has been fine.

anyway- it totally sucks because he's the smartest animal I've ever had and I'm going to miss him. I think we're going to go to the Vet tonight after work and if he's still bad, we'll have him put to sleep. He's far too cool to have to suffer!

Jenn

Oh Jenn, I am so sorry. Just reading about Rascal made my eyes water. Could he have epilepsy? My brother's little chihuahua had epilepsy and was treated successfully for 4 years ... and since Rascal's blood tests came back ok ... you never know.

I am so sorry ... my kitty (a brown tabby named Amira) and I will be sending positive vibes to you and Rascal.

Aisha

Comment

Jenn,

I am sorry to hear this. Our first cat, Greyhound, had some similar issues before we put him to sleep. He was anemic and had a tumor in his ear canal. I loved him so much and waited too long to take him in because I didn't want to lose him. I hope your kitty rallies again this time, but if not, you will find support here. Keep us posted.

Sally
      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Well-

The Big Guy is hopefully in the Happy Hunting Ground. We met at the Vet and there wasn't even an inkling that he recognized us. His seizures were increasing throughout the day in length and intensity and they couldn't get them to stop.

You how there are so very few decisions in life where you know 100% that you made the right decision? Well, tonight, I made the right decision, as hard as it was.

So, thanks all for your support. He was an awesome kitty and I'll (we'll) miss him a lot.

Jenn

(PS- when Rick went to tell his boss that he needed to leave because we were going to put our cat to sleep, he boss apparently got all teary-eyed and told him that she wished she could give him tomorrow off, too. Animal lovers are everywhere!)

Comment

Jenn,
          I'm so sorry to hear about your cat--that is so sad.
          Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

My thoughts are with you. I have two cats and so far they have been blessed with good health.
            Luanne
            Luanne
            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

OH JENN!!!
              I am sooooo sorry for you and Rick! I know how absolutely heartbreaking it is to lose a furry friend. He sounded like such an awesome member of the feline community! My dear Sam and Jacques are probably inviting him over for a tuna buffet right now! I think they have a lot of extra mousies that they can spare as well! HUGS TO YOU!!

Comment

Jenn-

I am very sorry to hear about Rascal tonight. Losing a pet is one of the hardest things I have experienced. I hope you have lots of photos to remind you of your little 'Fat Bastard'.

Jennifer
                Needs

Comment

Ohhhh, I'm so sorry, too. We had the hardest time when our cat died a few years ago--she was 18, so she was an old, old lady, and she was in terrible health that last year or so, but we'd had her for so long and she'd been such a great cat that we didn't have the heart to put her to sleep. Later, my mom and I agreed that we should have put her down about a year before she died, so that she wouldn't have been so miserable those last months. But losing our kitty still was hard. I had known her since I was in the second grade.

But I'm glad that you had such a good cat for so long. May he rest in kitty peace!

Comment

Jenn,

I am so sorry about Rascal. He sounded like a great pet and addition to the family.

Last year, my family and I had to put our dog to sleep after 11 years of friendship/family. It was sooo sad, so I can relate to how you are feeling now.

I hope you & your family feel better knowing that Rascal is in kitty heaven.

Hugs,

Dures

Comment

Jenn -

I am so sorry I pray that Rascal is now happy and healthy ... and it looks like there is plenty of company in Kitty Heaven for him as my first kitty, Chinky (a Siamese with a passion for tuna and curtains) died when she was 18 and my sisters kitty Chelshire (a Calico who drooled when you scratched her belly) passed at the age of 19. So with the other loved kitties from this board, Rascal will have plenty of kitties to go and get in trouble with

Aisha

Comment

Rascal

Jenn, I'm so sorry to hear about Rascal. I feel so sad for you and Rick. How are your other kitties doing? Several years ago, my mom had to Put our older dog to sleep. It was such a hard decisions, even though we knew that it was really the kindest thing to do....but her younger dog seemed to 'know' and was very clingy/sad for a long time. Are your other pets doing alright?

I hope you're feeling a little better today. I'm really very sorry to hear about Rascal. You're in my thoughts.

Kris
                        ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I'm sorry, too, Jenn. Stressful December for you guys, huh. Nice that Rick was able to leave early, though -- count your blessings for that. Just know that Rascal had a life with you that most cats only dream of. He was a Lucky Fat Bastard, if you ask me. Take care of yourself.

Sally
                          Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Rainbow Bridge
                            Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
                            There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
                            There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
                            The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
                            Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Jenn,

I'm so sorry, losing a pet is devastating. We had to do this with our family dog of 15 years when I was in college and it was one of the hardest things we ever did. I'm so sorry.

Kelly
                              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
                              X