Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

where were you seven years ago?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where were you seven years ago?

I was in a small cafe at the University of Kansas Medical Center in KC, staring at the tv screens like everyone else.

It bothers me to remember it, I think because of the real individuals who were affected, versus the now-stale meaning that got assigned to it b/c of the war.

I imagine for most people by now, it will be just another day. Anyone going to do or watch anything special?

Re: where were you seven years ago?

I was just waking up in Menlo Park, CA and watching the Today show. Work was very surreal that day because a lot of our clients were financial types in NYC and one of my co-workers was from NYC. A few days later DH and I found out that a very dear friend of ours had recently turned down a job with Cantor Fitzgerald.

We're not doing anything special though I will watch some of the memorials and it was nice to see the Pentagon memorial is finished.

Like the Challenger space shuttle this is one of those things I'll always remember where I was and what I was doing.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

It was my first day of teaching and I had a difficult time understanding everything that was going on. We watched the news reports almost all day long. not much Earth science going on that week. Not only was I confused by the situation but reasoning with high schoolers and trying to put things in perspective for them has been one of the great challenges of my lifetime.

seems life a lifetime ago... but at the same time I remember very specific details about the day.
      Wife to PGY5 ortho resident
      ~~~~~
      SAHM to 3

Comment

((((Lily))))

Comment

I remember like it was yesterday. I was just waking up and walking downstairs where my DH was holding our 4 mo old DD and staring at the TV. I walked by half asleep and did a double take because I didn't believe my eyes. That was when the first plane had crashed and I remember thinking it had to have been some sort of mistake.

I remember clinging to my infant that night wondering what kind of world I had just brought her into.
          Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

I had just gotten home from class at the university (was living in Sweden at the time, EST + 6h) and when I turned the tv on all channels had interrupted their scheduled broadcasts and were showing live footage. Although it happened on the other side of the Atlantic, I remember people being pretty much as shocked and distraught as if it had happened in their own country.

Comment

I was student teaching 4th grade in Nashville, TN. I won't ever forget that moment when I realized what was happening, although the whole day now seems a blur. I remember how quiet the skies were after that. I also remember sitting in a faculty meeting and hearing a plane going overhead when the restriction was lifted.

Comment

We were living in Washington, DC at the time; DH was in Chicago doing an away rotation (he was MS-4 at the time). I had an early class that day, I left the house not having any idea what was happening. When I walked into the building, everyone was gathered around the TV in the students' lounge and that's when I first heard what was happening and saw the images. I watched the first tower fall on that TV. Classes were canceled so I walked back home. I distinctly remember how clear and blue the sky was that morning; it almost didn't make sense to me that it was such a beautiful day. My brother and some of his med school classmates came to our house to watch the television coverage and call their families to let them know they were okay (they couldn't get cell phone service since all the networks were jammed).

We drove by the Pentagon later that week, it was surreal to see the damage.

I can't think about that day without tearing up, and I wasn't even personally affected by it. I can't imagine how difficult this date is for those who lost loved ones.
                ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I was on my way to work listening to NPR report about the towers and hearing the jet slam into the Pentagon.(where the reporter was)

We spent the rest of the day glued to the TV and I sent all of my staff home early and then had to go ballistic on a Texas state surveyor who had the balls to show up and want to inspect one of the group homes I ran.

My husband was in his second year of residency and was the Air Force Base which went immediately to "DefCon Alpha".

jenn

Comment

I was at work assisting in a colonoscopy! Two of my coworkers had husbands who worked in tower #2 and they were obviously a mess (both got out alive). My fil was on the subway on his way to work in the smaller building behind the twers, I think it was called #7. He hadn't gotten there yet and was fine, pnly it was about 7 hours before we heard from him because he couoldn't get out of the city. He ended up stranded in the lobby of some store for the day until the next morning (he 79 years old).
                    Luanne
                    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I was getting ready for work (in AZ) and dh was getting ready for school (undergrad). I was pregnant with our first. I remember falling to my knees in front of the TV. My husband left for school threatening to re-enlist in the army.

I spent the rest of the day trying to calm a room full of kindergartners who had seen the morning news as well. I remember wanting to have everyone in our family close by (they were in CA and MA at the time). Our country never felt so huge and so small all at once to me.

My heart goes out to everyone who lost loved ones 7 years ago. We drive past the Pentagon regularly now and it is impossible not to remember...

Leslie
                      wife to MS-3, mom to ds6, dd4, ds2

Comment

My DH and I had just gotten back to our apartment from the gym and flipped on the television. We thought it was just an accident, but I'll never forget that feeling when the second plane hit and we realized it was an attack. I started walking to school that day, and my husband bought a bike. It felt like we had to do something, and using less gas was the only thing we could think of at the time.

A few weeks later, we were at a college football game, and a small plane flew over the stadium, kind of low. Everyone just kind of held their breath for a few seconds and stared at the sky until it passed.
                        Laurie
                        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I was at work. Around 11AM they allowed people who "felt they needed to" to leave, so I left and went and picked up my baby. Then Jacob and I sat with my "Aunt" while we waited to hear from her daughter (my dear, dear friend) who worked on Wall St. at the time. My aunt ended up giving me an ornament that Christmas of a Santa holding an American Flag to commemorate the afternoon we spent together while Jacob helped keep her distracted.

Comment

I was holding my four day old son and watching the Today Show. I spent the day wondering about what the future held for my little guy and worrying about DH, who was locked down on his AF base....wondering if he would have to go to war (he didn't ever have to, thankfully). I will never ever forget it.
                            Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine
                              Like the Challenger space shuttle this is one of those things I'll always remember where I was and what I was doing.
                              Me too.

I remember 9/11 as if it were yesterday. We were still in Davis, CA. I heard the news while driving to Jasen's 6 month check up. DH and I had taken separate cars because he had to go into work after the appointment. I remember disbelief and confusion, sadness and hopelessness. My mother was in China and my MIL was in FL. I spent the day watching my brothers so that my stepfather could go to work. I was in a fog that day. Everything was in slow motion.

Comment

Working...
                              X