Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What do you wear to sleep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do you wear to sleep?

Well, I'm not going to sleep naked in a Motel 6 or at my inlaws, but at home, I love my sheets and down comforter.
    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Back when I used to live in Sweden I always used to sleep naked. I think most people do over there (Swedish sin? ), however since moving to Northern Ireland, I've taken to sleeping in underwear during the summer months and usually jammies during the winter. Given how poorly insulated houses are over here, I'd freeze to death otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by migirl
        I'm so surprised at the number of people who don't wear anything to bed! I just couldn't do it, I'd feel ... weird.
        I used to before kids, but I'm surprised at the number of parents who sleep in the buff--I feel like I have to be ready to leap from the bed and do battle at a moment's notice. :P Now I sleep in terry shorts and tank top in the summer, and flannel pj bottoms and t-shirt in the winter.
        Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
        Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
        Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

I'm with you Julie. I used to much more careless about my under cover attire (or lack there of). Recently, my twelve year old came upstairs to get me up --and I had nothing on under my comforter. It was a very uncomfortable conversation until I got him to leave the room so I could actually get out of the bed to go help him find whatever he needed at six AM. When the kids were little, they were always hopping in to bed with us. It was a very brief period between little kid-hood and embarrassed by nekked parent-hood. Now, with the sleepovers....that ain't happening. Poor DH. I'm sure he's wondering what he can do to get one of these great free-spirit wives.....
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

My parents run around naked (if my dh isn't around). His are naked if I'm not around. See a trend here?
            married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

In the summer I tend to sleep in light chemise type nighty that hits about mid-thigh. I would love to be in the buff, but DS has a tendency to wander in at random times and well, at 5 his questions about the difference in our anatomy are a bit too direct. In the winter, I am bundled up to the hilt, long sleeve tee, yoga pants and hand-knit wool socks. And a pile of blankets. But we typically keep the house pretty cool in the winter. That will have to be different after the babe arrives.
              Kris

Comment

Tara - how did you get your kiddos to be comfortable with the birthday suit situation? I have always tried to be very natural about being naked, but our 11 and 12 year old boys are HORRIFIED at the thought of me being naked!!! Even my bra and panties disturbs them these days :huh:

DH sleeps with nothing on, but I figure that one of us should be clothed and since I am apparently more revolting to prepubescent boys I wear PJ's.....

Comment

You aren't the only one. DS (12) caught me in my bra this morning and shuffled out of the room with his eyes cast downward. It isn't a big deal to be naked around here, but we do close doors when changing and such.

We went to the beach in Mexico last year during vacation....and a group of German tourists stripped down and jumped in swimming in the buff. My son was mesmerized.
                  Angie
                  Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                  Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I grew up in a household of nudity....I mean full monty nudity with both mom and dad. I just assumed every other family was like that until high school. It wasn't until college that I had to finally ask my parents to cover up a bit...especially when guests were over (but that is a whole other issue)!
                    Danielle
                    Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

I sleep in the nude almost all the time. Lately I've been freezing since we haven't set up my heated blanket yet, so I've been wearing a chemise and socks. I hate when my feet are cold. As for the bra thing, if I'm going to wear something it'll be a sports bra.

As for the kiddos, ditto to what Tara said. It's just the way it is around here so the kids probably think it's normal. Of course I have two girls, so I am not sure if it would be different for boys. :huh:
                      Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

For me, I think the difference is explaining to kids who can see them naked or *look* at them -- their parents or their doctor. My kids see other nekked women all the time in the locker room. I try to emphasize more of the where and when of it being appropriate (for example, scantily clad creepy guy at the public park isn't dressed appropriately for a public place). But yeah, like Alison said, my kids (not the 8 yo anymore) go with a less is more attitude around the house.

Comment

We're still nekked but I can see where it is coming to a place where we may have to become more modest.

I can't stand a nightgown riding up around my waist all night. If I do wear jammies, it isn't a nightie.

Kelly
                          In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Preferably nothing...or maybe a cami and girl boxers (the Gap has the softest!)

Comment

I'm always cold - in the winter I wear flannel pajamas but no socks, in the summer I wear a t-shirt and shorts. DH just sleeps in his boxers, he's always hot. :huh:
                              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I am all about gowns.....can't stand wearing pants of any kind to sleep. :huh: And the skirt of the gown *has* to be under my butt. DH wears nothing. I was only comfortable sleeping nude when I was pregnant and felt overheated much of the time. Otherwise, it is just too cold for me.

DH's family is all about the nudity, (I have seen more of my in-laws than I have seen of my own parents) and we have always been pretty free with it ourselves from the time our boys were little, but my oldest (13 now) started becoming embarrassed about seeing me without clothes about a year and a half ago, although he isn't too bothered if I have a shirt on w/underwear (like if I am ironing my pants, which is the case most mornings).

Funny sort of related story: The other morning, DH came home post-call to shave and take a quick shower before heading back to work. He ended up in the shower with Nathan (our youngest, age 7) because Nathan was taking too long. (Nathan still showers in our bathroom because he needs supervision during the process.) So they were in there together, both with their backs to me, and I noticed that they looked the same.....Nathan was just a miniature version of DH.....the porportion of leg length to height was the same, etc. So when Nathan got out, I said "Nathan, when you and Daddy were in the shower, I was noticing how much you look like him." He looked at me with a kind of shocked look on his face and said "*Not* in the front." I played it cool and said, "Oh yeah, well Daddy is older than you" and sent him off to get dressed, but when DH got out of the shower I told him the whole thing and we about died laughing.
                                Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Working...
                                X