Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Off-Cycle Psych Residency Wanted!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off-Cycle Psych Residency Wanted!

Hi Everybody!

I am putting some feelers out and I hope that someone can help us. DrK is is presently in an off-cycle rotating internship. He wants to begin a psych residency ASAP thereafter (Autumn 2009).

He was advised to submit his application to ERAS – which he did – although off-cycle candidates are not eligible for the Match. I know that finding an off-cycle psych residency is like finding a needle in a haystack. So, we are setting aside any geographical preferences.

The program can be either an MD or DO program that accepts DO physicians.

1. Can you please ask around or have your spouses ask whether there are any off-cycle programs in your regions?

2. Does anyone have any advise about securing an off-cycle residency?

Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Re: Off-Cycle Psych Residency Wanted!

I'd start here....

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/2997.html

and then start calling unmatched programs.
    Wife to a Urologist. Mom to DD 15, DD 12, DD 2, and DD 1!
    Native Jayhawk, paroled from GA... settling in Minnesota!

Comment

Thank you! Will do.

Comment

Just curious..
        I have never heard this term used before...

What is "off cycle"?

Is this different than being unmatched, doing a prelim year, and entering the match again?

We have quite a few friends who are DO's and they all completed MD residencies which they matched into during MS4 (rads, anesthesia, pm&r).

Comment

Off-cycle means that the program did not begin in June and therefore is not ending in May. His training is not on the annual cycle that begins in June so he needs to find a residency that will allow him to start/finish late.

Comment

Ok. Thanks. Are DO residencies different in that they start in June and end in May? I know that for MD residencies the start date is July 1st thru the end of June of the following year.

Comment

Nope. All residencies are on the same cycle and DO residencies the same as MD residencies. (I think they all start in July. I guess I was thinking that we had to move in June for orientation.)

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. Good luck with all that. Would it not be easier to apply via ERAS for a psych residency for next year [start July 1, 2009] and basically repeat the partial year that you have done? They let a PGY4 go in our program and he went into FM. FM gave him one year credit for the 3 he had completed in ortho. He seemed pleased to just have a spot somewhere.

Comment

He won't be done until Oct. 2009. So he'd have to apply for the 2010 match and spend 9 months in limbo. Not exactly ideal but it could happen.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK
                    He won't be done until Oct. 2009. So he'd have to apply for the 2010 match and spend 9 months in limbo. Not exactly ideal but it could happen.
                    I think what she's suggesting is that he scraps this year altogether, not worrying about when the program will finish. He'd still have to do the full 3(?) years of psych but at least he'd have a shot at the relatively large number of positions through the match.
                    Alison

Comment

I'm not sure I understand why he couldn't apply to 2009 spots at places that say they accept out-of-cycle, and talk with the ones that seem interested about starting 3 months late? :huh: Am I missing something?
                      Sandy
                      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog
                        Originally posted by MrsK
                        I think what she's suggesting is that he scraps this year altogether, not worrying about when the program will finish. He'd still have to do the full 3(?) years of psych but at least he'd have a shot at the relatively large number of positions through the match.
                        Yes, that is what I was trying to say. The R4 [ortho is 5 years] accepted "trading" in his 3 years already served for just one year credit towards a FM spot versus not being able to practice medicine.

Comment

He has a 1-year contract for his internship so he must finish. Possibly, he could get credit for part of his intern year in a psych residency but he still has to finish his intern year. (I belive psych residency is 4 years btw.)

Apparently, the "rules" of the Match prohibit him from participating if he is not available July 1, 2009. So although he is in ERAS, he needs to apply outside the normal channels. The next Match for which is is eligible is March 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by madeintaiwan
                            Thanks for the clarification. Good luck with all that. Would it not be easier to apply via ERAS for a psych residency for next year [start July 1, 2009] and basically repeat the partial year that you have done? They let a PGY4 go in our program and he went into FM. FM gave him one year credit for the 3 he had completed in ortho. He seemed pleased to just have a spot somewhere.
                            Holy Carp - scraping four years worth of work? If that were DH, I'm not sure I could hang tough that long!!!
                            Kris

Comment

For those of you who are wondering what off-cycle means, this is a helpful article. On one hand, it makes skipping the Match sound like nirvana but it also accurately discusses the challenges of applying for residency outside the match.

http://www.amsa.org/tnp/articles/article.cfx?id=186

Comment

Working...
                              X