Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Would this really embarass DrK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would this really embarass DrK?

So, DrK stayed up late last night "getting organized" for today. However, he forgot to set the alarm clock (I thought it was set) and overslept. He woke up at 7:20 for a 7:30AM 12-hr shift in the ER and raced out of here like a bat out of Hell.

He couldn't find his cell phone, certainly didn't have time to shower, shave, etc. He barely swiped a toothbrush over his teeth -- which I don't think he would have done if I didn't put the paste on the brush for him. I don't think he even put on deodorant. Notwithstanding his "getting organized," I know that he did not bring any toiletries to work and doesn't have any in his locker. Would I be totally smothering him if I brought him his cel phone, a shaving kit and a little lunch at work today? I can't call first cuz he forgot the phone.

I don't want to mommy him but I imagine that he'll be pretty scruffy by the end of the day. I don't want his attending to think he is a slob and I want to make sure he is happy and comfortable for the rest of the day.

What do you think? Should I do it? Or would he be mortified?
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Re: Would this really embarass DrK?

I've taken things to my DH at the hospital when he's forgotten things but that was when he'd requested them. :huh:
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I'd do it for DH if I had the time; I'm reasonably sure he wouldn't be embarrassed, though - do you have *any* way to get ahold of him to see if he would appreciate it or not? Pager?
      Sandy
      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I would do it. But I used to drop by the hospital all the time (smaller community). I'd disguise what you're bringing or be discreet about it. Sometimes I'd bring a plate of cookies or something for all the residents on call. I don't know if something like that is an option.

Comment

I would not. If he wants those things, he can call and ask you to bring them. Also, he's only in for 12 hours today and he'll be in the midst of other residents/fellows who have been at work for varying hours - up to 30/40 hours possibly - who will also be scruffy. I doubt anyone will notice. And you won't run the risk of smothering or embarrassing him. Tonight you could ask him if this should happen again, what would he like for you to do.

FYI -My dh keeps a set of toiletries and scrubs in his desk at work for post-call days.

Comment

I would do it in a heartbeat...He has done stuff like that for me when I have forgotten stuff at home.
            Danielle
            Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Maybe I'm a mean wife, but it's a 12-hour call, not 24 hours. I don't think anyone will notice - he can always go down to the gift shop and get some deodorant if need be.
              married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I wouldn't. DH has left without his ID, wallet, cell, shower, shave, etc. on numerous occasions. I only bring stuff when it is being specifically asked for. Mostly likely he'll be too busy to notice he's missing anything or even give the no-shower a second thought.

Comment

Originally posted by LilySayWhat
                  I wouldn't. If your DH's shifts in ED are like my DH's are, he won't have time to shave, eat, or even pee until he gets home. It's one day and the pts he's seeing are stinkier than him in most cases and in enough distress that nobody will care if he has a 5o'clock shadow.
                  Exactly what I was thinking.

I have shown up a few times with things he really needs, like his pager or stethoscope or white coat. He is a scatterbrain.

Comment

So, it turns out that there was a clerical error this morning. His medical school did not send his graduation certificate to the Board. :huh: (We really need a WTF?! smilie for this.) This is a theme for us. DrK gets all the breaks.

So, I guess I'm off the hook this time.

He is coming home early and will not be allowed back to the ER until the Board receives his graduation certificate -- they won't accept a fax either. DrK will have to sort this out with the school but it doesn't look like it will be done until Monday. Before he sinks into the dismal swamp -- which he tends to do when he feels helpless -- I reminded him that a couple months ago my driver's licence was revoked due to a clerical error. I was so upset and couldn't drive to work until it was resolved. It was such a PITA but it was "just a clerical error" and was quickly set right. Still, he's frustrated that he won't be in the ER today and I guess he'll have to make up 24 hours that he's missing this weekend. This administrative stuff really drives us crazy. In the meanwhile, he offered to babysit the DME's 5 kids and bring them ice cream (what a cutie!) -- I think he'll be giving tours to interviewees today instead.

Comment

Top ten things I have brought to my husband at the hospital:

1. Toothbrush and toothpaste.
                      2. Money.
                      3. ID badge.
                      4. Pager (MANY times).
                      5. Numerous, assorted NSG textbooks.
                      6. Eyeglasses (get this: he once BROKE a lens during surgery by hitting them against the OR microscope--ummm...aren't you a neurosurgeon...someone skilled in delicacy??)
                      7. Yahoo directions to some random bar (some kind of NSG-related afterwork gathering).
                      8. His absentee ballot for completion, notarizing, and mailing.
                      9. Surgical socks (actually, they are diabetic's socks--lots of support--but he refuses to call them that).
                      10. And, my personal favorite: a brown recluse spider preserved in a jar (don't ask me why he needed that...).

But I bring non-food things only when he calls me and asks. And it had better be IMPORTANT if I have to leave work or schlep over with kids in tow!

Comment

I haven't had to bring anything to dh. He's German. Please see the video I posted in "My Reality." I'm not bragging. His book bag is a work of art. In his book bag, he has a plastic bag with travel-size toiletries.
                        married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Abigail, you are a scream! I adore you.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK
                            Abigail, you are a scream! I adore you.
                            I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried...

Comment

Originally posted by alison
                              I haven't had to bring anything to dh. He's German. Please see the video I posted in "My Reality." I'm not bragging. His book bag is a work of art. In his book bag, he has a plastic bag with travel-size toiletries.
                              Wow. Wonder if I could teach DrK to be German. . . . Perhaps I'm German. . .

Comment

Working...
                              X