Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Any PM&R spouses 'round here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any PM&R spouses 'round here?

DH is considering a switch from emergency medicine to PM&R, with a plan to do a fellowship in palliative care. He's currently PGY-2 in EM and hates it. Anyone have wonderful things to say about PM&R? Tips about which residency programs are good, maybe? What residency is like and what post-training life is like?

We're in Detroit now, and are interested in staying in the Midwest (we have family in the Cinci area). We're also interested in Minneapolis, Madison, WI, NOLA, or Denver. Many of the residency programs pay a lot less than where he is currently -- it had better be worth it in terms of lower stress level and not having to deal with being an introspective personality surrounded by type-A adrenaline junkies!

Re: Any PM&R spouses 'round here?

I know the Army's PM & R guys are beyond busy but there's that tiny little War problem going on to keep them busy.

That said, they have pretty good hours, even as crazy busy as they are.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
      I know the Army's PM & R guys are beyond busy but there's that tiny little War problem going on to keep them busy.

That said, they have pretty good hours, even as crazy busy as they are.

Jenn
      Yeah, one of the residency programs is at Walter Reade... hmm...

Comment

Yup- WRAMC has a pretty extensive PM & R program- they're actually on the same floor as the Neuroscience suite which makes a lot of sense when you think about the injuries the soldiers are coming in with. Each of the big Army hospitals has a particular focus and WR's is the soldiers who are dealing with physical injuries and/or TBI.

BAMC, here in San Antonio is the burn hospital (and also works with the buys with TBI since chances are, if you've been in an exploding vehicle, you have a TBI.)

Tammy Duckworth was treated at Walter Reed for her double amputation.

Jenn

ETA: I don't think he could get more experience or better training than working with those docs at WR. He will quite likely see everything you could imagine.

Comment

I'm sorry I don't know anyone that has gone into that, but I know of a med student friend that is going into it. From what I can tell there is some 'hustling it' after training as far as jobs go. But I don't think it's any more work than what FM docs do. Basically, connections with several doctors would be a necessity. Basically what I'm saying is that PM&R is very finically dependant on the referral... many many referrals....

That said, if your hubby can't take another week of EM I say go for it! Has he had some experience with PM&R? An elective or anything?? How many years is PM&R?
          Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
          "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

PM&R, at least at our program, is so cush. DH did a 5 week rotation his intern year and he has friends who are PM&R residents and they have the life. Some days DH didn't go in until 1pm and would be done by 4pm. Practically no call, weekends off. One of the residents lost his wife last year and he was [is] still able to continue his residency with a 3 year old and no family around because the hours are so family friendly. The attendings make around 200k and if you own your own rehab center you can make more. If DH didn't love operating so much, he would have totally done PM&R. He says those peps have it made.

Comment

Originally posted by LilySayWhat
              I know one PM&R guy and it seems to be the cushiest residency I've ever seen. Apparently there is a reason - on the civilian side anyway - it's called Piles of Money and Relaxation.

I went to a PM&R doc a few years ago and honestly am not sure if it was just my doc or what, but I'm not sure what use he was. All he did was take the workup and notes from the orthopedist, read them, act like he was thinking, and sent me to a physical therapist. Why I paid for that, I have no idea. Let's just say I didn't waste time going back for that follow-up.

That said, if my husband was into it, I would tell him to go for it. Why not?

EXACTLY. They are like the go between for the orthopods and therapists. I can't believe they make the money they do for what they do.

Comment

I begged DH to go into PM&R. The residents at Mayo had (other than intern year) some of the best schedules going. DH's reason for not going into it is that he felt he would need an opposite personality than needed in EM, so I"m thinking it would be right up your DH's alley. Good luck!
                -Deb
                Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs
                  DH's reason for not going into it is that he felt he would need an opposite personality than needed in EM
                  That's what I thought too, but I didn't want to chime up in case I was misremembering our specialty discussions. Chronic problems, lots of followup, and no procedures was NOT what my DH wanted from his medical career. The thought of Pain being a second choice after EM seems odd to me -- but then, so does the idea of an ED being staffed with "type-A adrenaline junkies." I'm wondering if it's the program (I can see that type being drawn to a knife-and-gun club like Detroit) more than it is the specialty that's causing the conflict?

Good luck to you and your DH!
                  Alison

Comment

I have a friend who's DH is graduating this year from Mayo's PM&R residency - he just signed on for a cush job with an ortho practice, NO call, NO nights, NO weekends - EVER!

His residency was cush too, usually home by 5 99% of the time, 6 at the latest on non call nights.
                    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

We have a friend was who switched to PM&R after surgical intern year. He did his residency and is now practicing in NY. His residency was super cushy, he then did a spine fellowship which had worse hours and is now an attending with decent hours but at about half of what DH makes. Granted docs in NY get paid less than elsewhere (although residents get paid more). The fellowship also allowed him to do procedures that he wouldn't be able to do otherwise. He loves it and is very happy he made the switch (and so does his wife).

Comment

I LOVE the Pain Management Docs here. I have quite a few patients who have chronic pain, and I can tell you that if it weren't for the PM&R Docs I would be going crazy. These patients are really tough. Chronic pain can be debilitating, and if it weren't for the PM&R Docs I don't know what I would do. I would probably have alot of drug addicted patients. If the residencies are cush, that is fine with me, because if they were not around, my job would be much more difficult.
                        Luanne
                        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I had a golden opportunity to talk with a pm&r resident tonight. We are on the interview trail and had the pre interview dinner tonight. One of the pm&r residents (who is a spouse to a resident) was at the dinner tonight. I really wanted to ask a ton of questions for you, but the pm&r resident was looking really POed tonight. Both the the pm&r resident and the spouse looked super POed and didn't really say anything during the dinner. I really think they got into some big argument before they got there!

Thankfully there were lots of other people to talk with other than the Mr. & Mrs. Sadface and the the dinner overall went great. Sorry, I couldn't pull through for ya!
                          Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                          "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

I think it's frame of reference.

the PM & R guys deal with the pain itself. Oftentimes, the pain IS the diagnosis as there's very little to indicate the cause of the pain. If it's structural in some way, the ortho people can (possibly) deal with it. Once the pain cycle begins, though, it's REALLY hard to manage. We have LOTS of addicts who start out as poorly managed pain clients. (my aunt is one, too)

Chronic pain is the bane of the neurologists existence, too. (like chronic headache) because pain can radiate and often what hurts isn't what's injured.

and of course, the military PM & R guys have really complicated soldiers to manage.

Jenn

Comment

I agree with Jenn, once the pain is diagnosed, there isn't much for a PM&R guy to do other than injections. Our friend was great at diagnosing a couple of my problems and letting me know how to deal with them. But I haven't seen anyone before and wasn't sure if I had nerve damage, muscular or spinal issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X