Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Happy Buy Nothing Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Buy Nothing Day!

Hope everyone has a good one!

Buy Nothing Day will be a small challenge for me because I am a little low on food and would usually be doing an urgent grocery shop, but there are lots of edibles here so I'll just have to get creative!
    Alison

Re: Happy Buy Nothing Day!

Hmmm...I forgot about this. I wonder if we have enough leftovers in the fridge to get us through! I could survive on pumpkin pie for a day but I'm not sure about the kids.

I can't believe it, but we are going to a mall later today. DH and I have been trying to look at something together for a month. I'm not buying today and now that I think about it, my odds of giving up while trying to find a parking space might end the trip. My MIL's storage unit is right by the mall and we have to get something out of it so we might as well try the mall at the same time. (I haven't been in the storage unit for 2 years. Wish me luck. I think it is time to purge some stuff in there).

Comment

I failed. I needed a spice organizer in a bad way and The Container Store had just what I was looking for. It was sort of...quiet...in there. :huh:

Comment

Yeah, I heard from the savvy shoppers I know that the deals just weren't that great anywhere this year. They'd have big Black Friday advertisements but the discounts would be barely worth your time. :huh:

I managed not to buy anything, despite peeking at a couple of online sales. This was good timing for me, as I'm really trying to reign in my budget so it was good to have a whole day to reflect on the subject of how and why I spend money!

You know Annie, it occurs to me that I went to some trouble to actually SIGN UP for a mailing list for the first time in my life, at JoAnn's -- and I haven't gotten *any* flyers or coupons from them! That was months ago! Weird.
        Alison

Comment

I shopped at Overstock.com and found that they had free shipping. So, I bought a piece of furniture I had been eying for a while - no shipping + no tax = great deal IMO.
          that was the extent of my black fri shopping.
          Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

I ordered all our holiday calendars on shutterfly yesterday, they had big discounts and ebates were giving double cash back so I got a good deal. I also ordered a bunch of outdoor gear on behalf of my brother (who is coming in January) because stuff is so much cheaper here than in the UK, and I won't tell him about the ebates cash back I made on his behalf
            And I went to Target and got a cordless drill we have been eyeing for a while for half price.

So, I really screwed up on buy nothing day. But do I buy nothing most days!!

Comment

I bought my Angel Tree gifts yesterday - from the PX but I justified it because 90% of everything I bought was going to a 6 yo girl whose name was hung on the tree at the gym.

Today I hit send on the Amazon.com orders and ordered notecards off etsy for my SIL. One more gift cards for Albertsons for my MIL and Christmas is DONE.

Low key and about half as much as I would normally spend. Of course 3/4 pets had to go to the vet today so that was a Ka-ching visit.

Jenn

Comment

Ouch on the vet visits. Those add up. I'm jealous that you are so close to done. I need to get moving on that.

And now we are headed back to the storage unit because someone ( :guilty: ) brought the wrong keys.

Comment

Our credit card is as about 5x what it usually is this month because my car needed work and all four cats got dental work. This next month one of them is getting her tail amputated (cancerous tumor in it, near the base ). We were in small-town Missouri for buy nothing day, with my in-laws; we did pay for a carwash, because my car had a ton of salt on it from the roads in Cleveland, but that was it.

I'd guess we're...half done with Christmas buying, thanks to picking stuff up while travelling.

I'm astonished anyone doesn't get Jo-Ann emails; I get several a week, to the point they're annoying. Anyone wants me to forward them, feel free to PM me your email!
                  Sandy
                  Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by poky
                    Our credit card is as about 5x what it usually is this month because my car needed work and all four cats got dental work. This next month one of them is getting her tail amputated (cancerous tumor in it, near the base ). We were in small-town Missouri for buy nothing day, with my in-laws; we did pay for a carwash, because my car had a ton of salt on it from the roads in Cleveland, but that was it.

I'd guess we're...half done with Christmas buying, thanks to picking stuff up while travelling.

I'm astonished anyone doesn't get Jo-Ann emails; I get several a week, to the point they're annoying. Anyone wants me to forward them, feel free to PM me your email!

With the licensing fees and boards coming up, there's just no way we can afford anything big right now...
                    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Sounds like we didn't miss much. Being overseas definitely helped, I wasn't about to use my credit card at an Internet cafe. Prices in Europe were scary, I barely spent anything. Now I can gear up for the after-Christmas sales.

Comment

Working...
                      X