Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Mail carrier at the holidays?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mail carrier at the holidays?

I think this has come up before, but what do you do for your mail carrier at the holidays?

We got a postcard in our box with a holiday greeting and our carrier's name and picture (hint hint hint ). AND, when we first moved here our mail service was absolutely terrible. One of the neighbors had cornered the old mail carrier and asked what the deal was, and that person had said they were just on this route temporarily blah blah blah. This new carrier seems to actually get the job done, so I don't mind doing something, but what's appropriate? Or rather, how much i$ appropriate?
    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Re: Mail carrier at the holidays?

We don't do anything as our mail carriers have never gone above and beyond. To me, it's their job to deliver the mail, and we don't make special requests of them...so isn't that what they get paid for? Just like with anyone, I wouldn't give gifts unless I either had a more personal relationship or felt that the person did more than "usual". :02:
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Is it even ethical to give tips to a federal employee for simply doing his/her tax-payer-funded job??

Seriously - why would you give money to the postman?
      Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
      With fingernails that shine like justice
      And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I usually don't do anything. A few years ago we had a mailman who went out of his way to help us with a mail forwarding problem. I think I gave him a little something, not cash, but maybe a Starbucks giftcard.

Comment

I have been lucky and have always had super nice mail carriers. As such I always give them a box of chocolates during the holidays. I still keep in touch with my mail carrier from when we lived in Davis. We write letters to each other and when we first moved to STL, she mailed J a little matchbox mail truck. I also give a box of chocolates to my regular UPS driver too. We have always received LOTS of packages throughout the year. My UPS driver has said hi to me out and about in non uniform here and when we lived in STL. The gesture seems to always be appreciate and I'm all about fostering smooth relations with those peoples. It's nice to see them take extra care and creativity in concealing my packages on the porch [notes with arrows included].

Sure they're just doing their job but so are the servers and delivery people that you tip. I wouldn't give them money but a small gesture especially during the holidays [when they're working even harder and in the butt *ss cold] is always nice.

Comment

Hmmmm... I have yet to have a mail carrier that went "above and beyond". Usually they just do their job and put my mail in the box. Heck, right now we don't ever even SEE a mailman. The entire neighborhood has big, communal locked post office boxes at the entrance to the community. So, our postman only has to open those up en masse and deposit everybody's mail in one go. It's got to be one of the easiest jobs ever - and completely and utterly anonymous. I'd feel silly trying to leave something for the postman in this situation. In fact, I don't think we have a consistant mail carrier as I've seen different cars pulling up to deposit the mail every time I've driven past someone delivering the mail (they never use actual post-office vehicles - always personal vehicles). That seems to be the rule of thumb for this entire area - large, communal mailboxes at the entrance to neighborhoods with rather anonymous post office delivery in unmarked vehicles. I didn't realize it was still done the old-fashioned way anymore in other places! Giving gifts to the anonymous postman-of-the-moment whom I never see (despite being home all day everyday as a rule) would be like trying to give a gift to my internet service provider. :huh:
            Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
            With fingernails that shine like justice
            And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

My parents' mail carrier is awesome. He goes up and down hundreds of flights of stairs a day, and is the nicest, most conscientious person around. My parents give the carrier something edible and some cash. Gotta love a mail carrier who likes dogs, too!

Our mail carrier in Chicago smashes our Netflix DVDs in our mailbox. We usually don't get our mail until 5:00pm. It's ridiculous...
              married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

We have a wonderful mail carrier who always does a great job for us. Brings packages up to the door, waves at us on the street from his truck, says "hi" to our kids and dog, calls us "Mrs. X" and "Dr. X" ... he's awesome. I looked up holiday tipping guidelines and while mail carriers aren't technically supposed to accept cash gifts, they sometimes look the other way during the holidays. I actually called our local post office to find out their policy on tipping and she even gave me our mail carrier's last name "in case I wanted to give him a money order."

I ended up giving him a Starbucks gift card, figured he could use a warm beverage after spending all day outside! My parents give their mail carrier a small box of chocolates. I think anything you do for them is appreciated!
                ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

The mail boxes here are on the houses, so the mail carrier has to walk the route in this freezing cold/snow. I would leave a small gift if it was consistently the same person, but it changes often.

The Starbucks giftcard is a great idea. I've seen a lot of mail carriers with ipods recently, so itunes might also be appreciated.

Comment

I believe that letter carriers can't accept anything more than $20. Our next door neighbor is a mailman so I can ask him if you'd like. Starbucks gift cards and/or cookies sound good to me.

That said, our mail and packages have been late, rerouted, returned to senders, and/or left out in the middle of the driveway(!) since we moved here. This has resulted in bills becoming overdue or going unpaid all together when we don't get invoices . . . which results in late fees and nasty phone calls from collection departments. And I've never made a late payment in my life! When we've attempted to speak with the letter carrier, he keeps walking as though he cannot hear us because he is using the i-pod. No christmas bonus for him!
                    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I gave ours a Starbucks card, too. We've had the same carrier for 4 1/2 years and she's great. If I leave cash in the mailbox for her, she'll buy whatever stamps I need or she'll put the correct postage on if I'm not sure. And DH took care of her husband recently and I'm a little about the bill they most likely received.

Comment

last year and the year before i gave our mail carrier a tin of home made cookies. he is a nice guy, loves our dogs, always gave them (doggie) cookies...and was wonderful with the kids. can you imagine having some womans three kids and two dogs running...FULL out run to the mail man...screaming he's here!!! everyday? he said that our family made his day...little did he know...he made my kids and dogs day.

so, yes...he got cookies.

now that we're moved....i have no idea who the mail person is....so, nope...no cookies this year. :huh:
                        ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

They can't accept cash but can accept gifts worth $20 or less. We have a great mail carrier. Since we're in an historic district, they're walking up and down the streets in all weather. I'm going to give her a card and some cookies.

Jenn

Comment

Working...
                          X