Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Pain Management Fellowship Applications--Places

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain Management Fellowship Applications--Places

Hey everyone,
    My hubby is going to be applying to these schools (and probably some more--but he hasn't told me where yet)

U of Washington
    UCLA
    Cleveland Clinic
    MD Anderson
    Stanford
    U of Maryland
    U of Pittsburg
    U of Pennsylvania
    U of Virginia

He is seeking a Pain Management Fellowship. I am wondering if any of you can give me insight to the cost of living, housing, surrounding areas to look for apartments/condos/houses that would be reasonably priced, etc... I currently stay at home and work part time from home tutoring math on the computer. I know I will still have that income, but it isn't much. We live in Lubbock, TX now--so our cost of living is Really LOW! I want to continue to stay at home and am wondering how possible that might be??

Re: Pain Management Fellowship Applications--Places

I'm finding the cost of living in Cleveland, insofar as rent is concerned, to be very reasonable. Of course, my point of comparison is Miami, FL where the price of real estate has always been very inflated. The rest -- utilities, groceries, entertainment, most services, etc. -- is about the same as other places I've lived. The only things that have cost more than they did in Miami are pedicures and produce -- both of which are a lot more common and easier to get in Miami -- some would even argue that pedicures are a necessity in Miami. In Cleveland, I've switched to frozen veggies and DIY pedicures.

ETA - Car insurance was much less expensive in Ohio. But again, insurance is crazy expensive in Miami.
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Is your DH in anesthesia? We know residents who were able to work part-time as an attending as part of their fellowships and increase their income. Definitely is something to look at as agreements and offers are hashed out. I don't know much about your locations specifically, but my guess is that if you end up at UCLA, you'll be working outside the home again. The bright side is, there is a bit more room in some fellowships for some creative financing, whereas there is none of that during residency. I would also say, regardless of where you end up, rent. You don't want to end up in this market stuck with a condo or house as you move on from fellowship.
      -Deb
      Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Thanks for your comments so far!!
        We definitely plan to rent since it is only 1 year and we are definitely moving again afterward.

Comment

My dh is in anesthesia and did residency at U of Washington. Seattle was pretty expensive to live in, probably not as expensive as UCLA. I was a SAHM with 2 kids during residency. We had a 2 bed 1 bath apartment and it cost us $1000 a month, and it wasn't fancy. We lived within biking or bus distance to the UW Hospital, and dh took the bus to Harborview. We had one car, so it was manageable. I loved living in Seattle, but happy to be gone only because of the COL.

Dh said that he remembers the cardiac anesthesia fellows were allowed to work on the side while doing fellowship, but doesn't know if the pain fellows could. He imagines they could. Is your hubby absolutely sure he wants to do pain medicine? The pay is good but you have to listen to people whine and ask for narcotics all day.

If you have more specific questions about University of Washington and their Anesthesia Dept. I or my hubby might be able to help.

Good luck!
          Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

I second MrsK's comments on Cleveland. I came from Boston and I think the COL is pretty reasonable. I like that we can live right near the med school/hospital without worrying about safety or overpaying.

UMd - I grew up in Maryland and I absolutely adore it. I would not want to live right around the hospital though, downtown Baltimore is not the nicest area in the world. On the other hand, there are several lovely communities either in the city (Federal Hill) or outside that are within a 25 minute drive. Some are more reasonably priced than others but I would guess that it's more expensive in Lubbock. Still though, Baltimore is cheap compared to DC and you've got both DC and Annapolis (my hometown!) within a 45 minute drive. It's a wonderful place to raise a family.
            Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
            Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Dh is starting a pain fellowship at UCLA this summer and I am going to continue to stay at home. The only way we could afford this is through student family housing. We are getting a 2 bedroom apartment for half the price of what you would pay normally for apartments in west L.A.

I know Palo Alto is crazy expensive, so is any other city in driving distance of Stanford. We are currently living in a suburb of Baltimore and the apartment rent is much more reasonable (and safer) than the city. I would also check about moonlighting because there are several programs that don't allow it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cherry
                Dh is starting a pain fellowship at UCLA this summer and I am going to continue to stay at home. The only way we could afford this is through student family housing. We are getting a 2 bedroom apartment for half the price of what you would pay normally for apartments in west L.A.
                Niiice! I wish USC had something similar! Our rent is more than half of DH's salary.
                I stay home anyway. It is a bad financial decision but we have decided it is the best decision for our family.

Comment

My DH did med school at Stanford and its crazy expensive. Mountain View is a little more reasonable for a rental, as is Redwood City but you're still looking at close to $2K for a 2 bedroom apartment. If you want more detail then that let me know.

Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

UCLA and Stanford are crazy expensive. We looked into Stanford when we were researching fellowships about 5 years ago. They had required housing because it was less expensive than anything else and it was 2200 dollars a month right across the street. Ug.

Seattle is expensive but not AS expensive. There are cool areas to live with lots of renting options. My two younger cousins rent in Fremont and the U District right now and they each pay about 1800 dollars for three bedroom (with roomates). That's with street parking -- garages are a luxury.

I'm completely biased but I loved living in Seattle. The housing costs and the traffic SUCKED on a poor residents salary -- but we were fortunate and had other income to make it work. I know a few who did it on just a resident/fellowship salary but it was extremely tight.
                    Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Wow! Thanks for all the info.

One question I had in regards to student housing at UCLA...I was worried about schools in that area for my son. He will be in 1st grade. I will have another one who will need some type of PreK as well. Here, we have parent's day out twice a week and it preps them for prek. We don't qualify for state/fed paid preschool in Texas...you have to make something like $29,000 a year. Do you have kids that will be in school?

Comment

Oh, and ABSOLUTELY sure about Pain Medicine. He loves it!! It is the one thing that he has done that he really liked a lot. Granted, he doesn't have a long rotation in Pain here, but he knows the Pain docs here really well and has been happy with the program so far. My husband doesn't ruffle too easy, so his personality is probably the right type for working with Pill-poppers when he has to.

Comment

Working...
                        X