Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Flying with TJ loot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying with TJ loot

I am one of the unfortunates who lives in a state without a Trader Joes. Thanks (or maybe no thanks ) to members on this board, I learned about what I was missing out in life. A few weekends ago, a couple friends of ours and DH and I drove to a nearby state where there was a TJs... they went to hike - I only had TJ on my mind - again - thanks to you! I bought several items (we stuffed the car) and none have disappointed us. So, what to do now - how do we get more? :huh:

The drive is pretty long and a PITA because there is nothing from here to there. I would like to fly there - it is a big city where we can shop for other "essentials" - maybe go every other month or so - no big deal to get there and back .

Here is my question for those of you that have flown with TJ loot...what type of goodies do well in a suitcase? I really liked their frozen Mandarin Orange Chicken and their butternut squash soup but do not want to end up with a thawed mess or a soup carton explosion. I am sure I would have to check everything in because I would end up behind bars if TSA tried to throw away my TJ purchases because it was over 3 oz.

Please help - as I am ready to book my next flight.
    Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Re: Flying with TJ loot

I don't have any experience in TJ....but my in-laws have flown with frozen food. They packed a regular cooler with a bunch of frozen seafood (fish and lobster that my FIL catches)...and checked it like any other piece of luggage...they taped it up really well so that it wouldn't accidentally open....they also placed two screws in the front...one in the top and one in the bottom that they zip-tied together. They also wrote a note on the tape asking the "crew" to re-secure it if they had to open it to inspect it and included a few extra zipties in a plastic baggie attached to the cooler. Probably overkill, but the contents were still frozen! Oh and it wasn't inspected. They made a 3 hour drive and then a 2 hour flight to get to us.
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I wonder if it would be cheaper/easier to plan to send non perishables by mail. You could also get those hot/cold insulated bags- my mom packed a frozen lasagna inside her luggage in one of those- it got to us two days later ( luggage was lost) -it was mostly defrosted but still partially frozen- and this was luggage that sat in Miami and then went on to the Bahamas.
      Mom to three wild women.

Comment

I usually just buy a TJ's grocery bag, stuff it full of yummies and take it with me as carry-on.

J.

Comment

Maybe you could make friends with the manager of that particular store and see if he/she will just ship some to you? I second the cooler idea in terms of flying.
          -Deb
          Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Working...
          X