Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Please read...oldies and newbies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please read...oldies and newbies

We're having to switch software again.

I know...I know...

The problem is that I've tried using free (open source) software...and we've struggled through our issues over time. We switched to a new social networking platform this past year to try and set up local groups for people in the US/Canada/Europe/Caribbean etc and to improve the overall security and functioning of the website. This included photo albums...you name it.

Nothing but glitches. I was recently contacted by someone who tried to start a group in the Australia forum only to find out that the groups aren't working anymore...of course...and because we've got free software, there is little to no support from the website and developers. I had someone get in and try to fix things (paid them) and they broke other things...and didn't fix the problem. We have has some issues with users being completely dropped from the website.

We need a secure platform and...we need to keep up with the changing times on the internet.

So...I paid for a platform....I'm not going to change the website so that we have membership fees ... nothing will change...except...I'm going to become a pain in the butt about people starting their local groups or joining them and using them. I know it's a pain...I'm sorry...but since it comes with the software and it was expensive and I'm not asking for money...I hope you guys will use this feature.

I have installed a super beta for the site at http://www.medicalspouse.com/index

Please don't register. You are free to poke around and offer any suggestions within this thread. I have already set up several groups/clubs but again....once we transfer things over we can get to that.

I will be playing with this as time permits and then when it's sorted I'll transfer over the phpBB forums and bridge them. Then we can go live with the new site.

In the meantime, I apologize that the groups aren't functioning and for the bugs on the main pages.

This is where I'm taking suggestions...no pm's please...I don't have time to sort through them

I will hear any comments, ideas etc...and will try to implement what I can.

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Re: Please read...oldies and newbies

Thank you Kris for funding this site. This place has been such a sanity saver for me and I wouldn't know what I'd do without the support I receive here. I am forever indebted to you.

Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Kris, thank you so much for continuously looking out for our growing needs. If any of us want to contribute to the cost, can you please let us?

Comment

Absolutely no money...I love you guys and I just want to get this 'right' for all of us <selfish, selfish>.

When it's all done, Julie, you can write some more fashion articles in the articles section in lieu of money!

See what a pain I am!

I hope everyone will comment and make suggestions.

We will pick them apart in the admin forum as we work through things!

Kris

Comment

Ok, fine, I'll get started on those articles. I need some distraction from GREs anyway.

Comment

Thank you Kris!! We all really appreciate all you do today and everyday to support all of us.
            Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
            Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I wish you'd let us contribute. I understand not wanting to limit enrollment to those who can afford it, but some of us can, and could help ease the burden.

Comment

Originally posted by Jane
                I wish you'd let us contribute. I understand not wanting to limit enrollment to those who can afford it, but some of us can, and could help ease the burden.
                Tara
                Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna
                  Originally posted by Jane
                  That's exactly what I meant too. But I don't want to nag.

Comment

Look...you guys have done so much for me. This is nothing in comparison...I mean that. All I really want is your feedback and help in making things as good as they can be....That's it.

Comment

OK just promise that if the costs (financial and otherwise) become bothersome, you will NOT hesitate to ask us for help.
                      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

What kind of stuff do we need to do in the groups??

Most of the stuff I can think of to use the groups for, I'd just use the forum....

I made a residency group, but haven't had a reason to post anything because I can just use the forum for it. What am I missing??

Would the groups be more useful for "local" info - individual schools/programs/cities??
                        Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Just to provide an account of some of the technical difficulties we're currently undergoing, two members have accidently lost access to the forums and a history of their posts. Heck, I'm an admin and I have lost access to the groups section linked to the front page. We appreciate everyone's patience and understanding!

Kelly
                          In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Oh and am I (*ahem* you) gonna have to move my blog again?
                            Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I will move all blogs. It will be much easier to do in the new format with a script.

Here's the deal...the ugly truth.

I paid a couple of people to install their mods on our website. None of the mods worked AND they broke the functioning of the website. I complained to the website that supported them...never heard anything...so I complained in the support forums for that website...and one of them came back and started deleting people.

I have changed all passwords to the cpanel and they can't get in anymore. That's why I said to hell with all of the freakin' free software. Yes, it's great to get a product for free...but...you get what you pay for and when things go wrong, you can't get reliable help.

It totally sucks. I'm so mad that I could just spit nails!!!!!

Kris

Comment

Working...
                              X