Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Flossing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flossing

I feel a little strange posting about this, but there has been a thread about the logistics of personal care... so why not?

How hard do you floss? I'm always amazed how much harder dentists or dental hygienists floss. I inevitably end up bleeding and being lectured about how this wouldn't happen if I flossed for one week straight. Well, I do, but I don't saw at my gums like they do. I get in there and I get the gunk out. Very rarely do I end up bleeding and usually only in one or two spots, not everywhere.

In other news, I'm waiting for a referral to have all my wisdom teeth taken out and I'm freaking out. Just a little.
    Cristina
    IM PGY-2

Re: Flossing

I got tired of being lectured and hurting when I went in for my cleanings, so I started flossing the way they do at the dentist. It actually works pretty well now. I did bleed for awhile - longer than a week, but I don't remember how long - but my gums did toughen up eventually. Sometimes I just floss in a hurry, and I get all the food and stuff out, but I can tell a difference when I really get in there and dig.

Good luck with your wisdom teeth! I was so freaked out about having mine removed. Are you getting all four taken out? Are they above or below the gums? LOL - I should have been a dentist. I have a weird obsession with teeth...
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

This happens to me sometimes too. I guess I don't do it hard enough because it hurts and makes my gums bleed!

I had my wisdom teeth removed a couple of years ago (all four were half-impacted). I had a 3 month old, was a month from moving, and developed some unpleasant stomach irritation from taking Advil for pain (wanted to avoid the narcotics with breastfeeding). I do not recommend this timing or method of weight loss! I waited too long though and it had to be done (I also had insurance that would cover it but the insurance would be gone with the move). The anticipation might be worse than the recovery. Give yourself a couple of days to rest and not have to do anything and you should be fine.

Comment

I swear by Reach Gentle Gum Care. It's woven floss, and it feels SO much nicer on the gums! DH doesn't like it because he thinks it shreds too easily, but I don't have that problem.

I also think coming home sore from the dentist's office is just par for the course.

Good luck with the wisdom teeth! Not fun.
        Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

I starting taking Tylenol before going in for cleanings. At least this way I don't come home with throbbing gums. I actually found a dentist/hygienist here that doesn't cause pain (so maybe they're not doing it right? )

Good luck with your wisdom teeth. I had the four molars beside my wisdom teeth pulled to make room. I don't remember the pain being all that bad, but they did bleed a lot.

Comment

I love flossing. I got tired of getting the lecture from my dentist, and have been using something called dental tape for the past few years. It's a wide and flat floss that doesn't shred. You can really get in there without a whole lot of effort and red fingers. I love it. My gums don't bleed anymore.
            married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I've been using Glide Comfort Plus and it doesn't shred at all. Like Alison said, I feel like I can really get in there and clean really well. When others do it, it's a whole different story. I can't quite describe their technique, but it makes me want to say, "Whoa there, buddy! Take it easy! My gums aren't used to this level of abuse." I suppose I'll try it their way for a while and see if it helps. It's certainly faster than my way.
              Cristina
              IM PGY-2

Comment

I recently started flossing daily because I too was sick of the lectures from the dentist. I think I have obsession now because I actually look forward to it! It fascinates me the amount of junk I can get out of me teeth.

As for the wisdom teeth, I don't remember anything from when I had mine done a couple years ago thanks to the gas. I do remember having a hell of a recovery since the dentist said he nearly broke my jaw getting the wisdoms out.
                Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

I was actually going to recommend Glide before seeing your last post. That's what the hygenist at our dentist's office uses and it doesn't cause much bleeding at all. I only floss once a week or so, mainly due to lazyness.

Good luck with wisdom teeth removal.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassy
                    but gently below the gumline on each side of my tooth and back and forth.
                    I always floss but am too lazy to do it like that. Perhaps I should try so I can reap the actual benefits of flossing.

Cassy, I am mesmermized by your avatar. I want it! I hate "thru". In my histology class the professor used it when discussing membrane permeability. It's not a freakin' word!!

Comment

All I have to say is Oral B Satin Floss - I'm telling you it's the only way to go. It glides between your teeth so you don't have to apply too much pressure and hurt your gums when you are trying to get in between the teeth.

By the way, my Mom is a dental hygienist and she has always told me that your gums should not be bleeding when you floss regularly and properly...they may if you are not a consistent flosser and have inflammation though.

Comment

Working...
                      X