Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Health insurance question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health insurance question

I have a question about HIPPA and I am not entirely sure how to find the answer.

With the upcoming move due to the match, DH and I have been looking at the numbers and honestly, we would come out ahead by far if I were to be laid off. However, since DS had ADEM and we still have extensive follow up care for him, we can't afford to have a break in coverage more than the 63 days allowed.

The state we are in has excellent coverage for low-income families for which we qualify, but it is Medicaid and I don't know if that would count towards the time of "credible coverage" or if it would be considered a break in coverage. I am hoping that one of our smarty-pants lawyer types might have some info or be able to direct me somewhere to look. (Paging Abigail and MrsK)
    Kris

Re: Health insurance question

Medicaid should count as credible coverage, I believe.

Jenn

Comment

I just found the answer on the Dept of Labor website

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq_consumer_hipaa.html

Most health coverage can be used as creditable coverage, including participation in a group health plan, COBRA continuation coverage, Medicare and Medicaid, as well as coverage through an individual health insurance policy.
      Kris

Comment

I was going to say that if you were to get laid off, the COBRA coverage would probably be worth it, and would count. In fact, you may *have* to use the COBRA in order to qualify for other stuff later on (I know "did you exhaust COBRA" is one of the questions I ran into when applying for health insurance as an individual).

I also know that Kaiser (at least in the northwest), if you get laid off, will let you continue your same group plan as long as you keep paying them (you pay the total, not just what you were paying before, but you still have the same coverage you did, and no qualifying or anything, which is nice).
        Sandy
        Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I would suggest also looking into the State Child Health Plan aka SCHIP and with varying names by state. The eligibility requirements are looser than Medicaid. Sometimes parents can get coverage under this, varies by state as well. ETA: I re-read you post and it sounds like you are set for your current state. Nevermind, unless you are also looking in another state!

Comment

As much as I enjoy being designated as a smarty-pants lawyer, I've got to say that I know nothing about HIPPA. Health and employment are very specialized areas that I've never dealt with. I'm a "dirt lawyer" -- transactions, lending, real estate, etc. with just a smidge of bankruptcy, foreclosure, and title insurance litigation experience (FL licensed only). :huh: Sorry, I can't help but it looks like you are on the right track.
            Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I ran into the same question when I switched jobs the first time and had to wait to become eligible for the new company's plan. I asked my HR person, and she told me that I would have to participate in COBRA to be considered as having "continuous coverage". That was in Texas. I'm not sure if it varies by state.
              Laurie
              My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

The new stimulus plan reduces your COBRA payment by 65%. http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/COBRA.html
                Alison

Comment

My daughter and her husand have excellent coverage, but it doesn't cover hearing aides/hearing loss. They had to exhaust their insurance co. and then apply for CHIP in PA to qualify for help with the hearing tests, etc. I just don't understand all of the insurance stuff. If any of you end up in PA and need coverage for children, just give me a call (and I'll connect you with Amy).
                  Luanne
                  wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                  X