Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What is going on with the forums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I vote for number 3, automatic thread marking. This is most like what we're used to from the old forum.

Frankly, it's driving me nuts that after using "new posts" to read new posts, when I go to the full forum list, some of the forums are marked unread, even though I've definitely read everything in them. It looks like that's the only functional difference between auto and non-auto; it actually keeps thing in sync and up to date properly. If the load on the server actually is an issue, it's fine to leave it at non-auto, but somehow, I doubt it actually is...

And MrsK, I'm reasonably sure the "everything is unread" is a one-time thing, probably from when we switched to the database tracking from the cookie tracking. Read from the most recent until you start seeing things you know you've read before, then click on "mark forums read" under "quick links". That should catch you up and it should stay right from then on.
    Sandy
    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by poky View Post
      I vote for number 3, automatic thread marking. This is most like what we're used to from the old forum.
      However, what does "are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read" mean? Does this mean that when if we read the last thread, all prior threads will be marked read?
      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

No, that's marking the "forum" as read, which is the envelopes you see on the index page. As opposed to each thread, which is bolded or not based on whether it's been read.

I think.

ETA: Whoa, a bunch of us got to that at once! Don't mind me.
        Last edited by oceanchild; 03-23-2009, 03:04 PM.
        Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
          However, what does "are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read" mean? Does this mean that when if we read the last thread, all prior threads will be marked read?
          No, it's talking about *forums* being marked read. Basically on the main page, the forums with unread threads in them have a different-colored icon. (EDIT: Durh, oceanchild ninja'ed me. I kinda miss the feature from the other board that told you if someone had posted while you typed!)

I'm wondering though about letting threads "expire" after maybe a week? A month? If I'm never going to read a thread, I don't want to go to the trouble of marking it read manually. Is that already integrated?
          Alison

Comment

I'm 99.99% sure that "last new thread" just means "there aren't any more unread threads", not "last in chronological order".
            Sandy
            Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Ok, I get it. I'm with you on Option 3 now.

As for letting threads expire. . . as long as they aren't deleted, I guess that works. But a week is too frequent as a lot of us (not me, obviously) cannot check in weekly.
              Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I love that you uys are hashing this out.

I am wondering if altering the admin panel update interval-thingee would change anything.
                Angie
                Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Hey Kris,
                  I sent an email and it was returned. I never received the system email. Can you please reset my password? I re-registered as kcwife2 to post this message.

Thanks,
                  Amber
                  AKA kcwife

Comment

Dumb question, but...

Where are my sent PMs going? The three I've sent since the switch have not shown up in the sent items folder, and I know they got to their recipients since I've gotten replies.
                    Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

In "Edit Options" in the User CP is an option for "save a copy of my sent items in 'sent items' folder by default". Make sure that's checked; it may not be.
                      Sandy

Comment

Looks like that explains it - thanks!

Comment

What's up with photo uploads? I was able to make an album, but when I try to put a picture in it, it loads for a while and then dies.

Comment

What's up with the Points and Activity bars?
                            Kris

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
                              What's up with the Points and Activity bars?
                              I was just about to ask the same thing!
                              Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Do we get a prize for reaching certain level?

Comment

Working...
                                X