Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Buying/Selling your house in residency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying/Selling your house in residency

So I was reading DFs "New Physician" magazine yesterday and I came across an article on a group that is starting a website to try and help residents buy/sell houses to each other since the turnover / timing is so predictable. I thought I would suggest it on this site since I know many people are gearing up for a move.

http://r2rrealestate.com/index.html

The idea seemed attractive to me because these people are more likely to think about things like hospital proximity than the average buyer. Anyway, not endorsing the site, I think it's still growing but wanted to post this in case it's helpful to anyone.
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

This is a great idea. Perhaps I should list the FL condo. It's very convenient to UM/Jackson.
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

That happens very frequently in the areas immediately around the hospitals. In fact, the spouses group at CWRU actually started including flyers about houses for sale in the "welcome" packets to incoming residents. The guy that FINALLY bought our house in CH was a resident -- I'm convinced he looked it up based on my posts on SDN (because ours was a little further away than a single guy would normally look).

Comment

Well it can't hurt! The USUHS Spouses group also has housing information at the ready for incoming students and faculty.

(as I sit and wait to hear from the Realtor. Apparently Dipwad and his wife really are ready to make an offer tonight...)

J.

Comment

I just posted the FL condo for lease there. It's a little awkward because you cannot look for a place to rent at the same time as you are listing a place for rent. Also, you can't list the property both for sale and for lease.

For the time being, they only have about 20 properties listed but we'll see if it catches on.

BTW, I've also listed the FL condo in the classifieds here if anyone is interested.

Comment

I don't love that they want you to register just to browse.

Ever since my DH submitted his ERAS we've been getting mail from "physician relocation services" that just do referrals. This feels similar, and it all feels a little strange.

But maybe that's just me.

ETA: Jenn, I really hope this all works out for you, even if it takes a dipwad to do it!
            Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

I like the idea a lot.

But, given that we are moving to a fairly small town, I am banking more on the local real estate agent and the info pending from the PD (we got an email stating that some of the outgoing residents/fellows are selling). Hopefully we will be able to find something to purchase.

I am so sick of renting...
              Kris

Comment

Yes, I would assume it's better in places with a lot of medical centers. I think you need to sign on to browse because they're making it free. They don't want now med people signing up and messing with it. I like the rationale in the FAQs section. It seems to make a lot of sense because there's some predictability in the schedule of when MDs need to move.

Anyway, I make no promises but I hope it helps someone!
                Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Great idea. But I don't know many who would want to live near Parkland and Children's in Dallas.
                  Veronica
                  Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

So, remember I said I listed my condo on R2R. . .? Well, I got an e-mail from them today intending to clarify something that I posted in this forum. . .

(My First Name),

Thanks for your interest in R2R. Your property in Miami is now listed.

Just to clarify the posts on medicalspouse.com (we follow all our leads!)...now that you are a member, you can in fact search all other properties listed for sale or lease. please know that you can also list your property for sale if you register it under a different email address (it is one of the limitations of our system).

As you mentioned, we too hope "it catches on." Since the site was publicized by the AMA and AMSA, we have grown to over 750 members with 37 properties for lease and 115 properties for sale.

Thanks again. Feel free to email us any questions.

R2R

Comment

FYI.....r2r did track our members when they went over there and let them know that they *saw* that they were coming from here. Just so you know...I had nothing to do with it! LOL

Kris
                      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Working...
                      X