Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Loan Forbearance/Deferment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loan Forbearance/Deferment

I'm the wife of an MS3 and from what I understand you can defer your loans for three years during residency - but no longer than that regardless of the length of residency. If my husband gets into neurosurgery we are looking at a residency of at least six if not eight years.

Just wondering how those of you with residencies of more than three years manage to make these payments? Especially those where the spouse is a stay-at-home parent and the residency salary is the sole income.

Yikes!
    Loving wife of neurosurgeon

You can request forbearance and continue to acrue interest during that time.

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Originally posted by houseelf View Post
      You can request forbearance and continue to acrue interest during that time.

Kelly
      Are you serious? Can you do this as long as you are in residency? Because that would be fabulous news - I thought it was still acquiring interest during the three years anyway?

Comment

loan repayment

DH and I just went to the 4th year "exit interview", so we heard all about this stuff. Unfortunately, starting June of this year you can no longer defer your loans during residency under the "Economic Hardship". That kinda sucks...they showed us some figures that made me cringe:
        Average debt of a graduating med student: $160000
        Average monthly repayment under standard 10 year plan: $2600/month

That sounds like the entire monthly take home pay of a resident!! Ouch!

The good news is that they're starting a new "Income Based Repayment" plan. It's sort of complicated...in a nutshell your monthly payment is 15% of your "disposable income". They gave us a website that explains it better than I can:
        http://www.ibrinfo.org/

Under that plan, I think it will be reasonable, at least for us, to live just on DH's resident income.

Comment

Right, so what they did under the last student loan bill is eliminated deferment for residency. Deferment was good because you could not pay AND not accumulate interest. Forbearance is still an option, so you still don't have to pay, but you will accrue interest.

And as I've said elsewhere, we're really counting on income based repayment, but there's still no info about how to actually apply.
          Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

What is considered disposible income? Because I can't remember the last time we had that...

Is deferment still available? I thought I had heard that it was no longer available for residents starting this academic year.
            Kris

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
              What is considered disposible income? Because I can't remember the last time we had that...
              If you go to the income based repayment website they'll take you through a sample of what you might owe in monthly payments. We owe over $100K and our monthly payment would be around $20. Completely doable.

Does anyone know if you can still automatically defer in fellowship or has that changed as well?
              Tara
              Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Tara - I think your payment must be greatly influenced by the number of children, because when I calculate out our $250K worth of debt and 2 kids, we get a payment of $150/month, which is not do-able at all considering DH's car will need to be replaced shortly.
                Kris

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
                  Tara - I think your payment must be greatly influenced by the number of children, because when I calculate out our $250K worth of debt and 2 kids, we get a payment of $150/month, which is not do-able at all considering DH's car will need to be replaced shortly.
                  Oh, sorry.
                  Tara
                  Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

No biggie Tara - hopefully we will be increasing our numbers in the next 2 years...
                    Kris

Comment

When I run the calculator it only asks for the annual income, not disposable income. I wonder if that is expected to change??? Also, we have about 50K and when I inputted the average resident salary of $40K with two kids it gave me an estimated payment of $90, but when I changed the dependents to three the estimated payment was drastically reduced to $20. That must be why Tara's payment came out so differently than Kris'.

Does this change affect those who are already in residency and have deferred?
                      Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Guess this means that we will definately will be having #3 sooner rather than later...
                        Kris

Comment

Originally posted by CluelessCalifornian View Post
                          DH and I just went to the 4th year "exit interview", so we heard all about this stuff. Unfortunately, starting June of this year you can no longer defer your loans during residency under the "Economic Hardship". That kinda sucks...they showed us some figures that made me cringe:
                          Average debt of a graduating med student: $160000
                          Average monthly repayment under standard 10 year plan: $2600/month

That sounds like the entire monthly take home pay of a resident!! Ouch!

The good news is that they're starting a new "Income Based Repayment" plan. It's sort of complicated...in a nutshell your monthly payment is 15% of your "disposable income". They gave us a website that explains it better than I can:
                          http://www.ibrinfo.org/

Under that plan, I think it will be reasonable, at least for us, to live just on DH's resident income.

So under this new plan can you still defer for three years? And after than you have to go back into repayment - you just have the option of having payments based on income?

Comment

We were only allowed to defer for two years. This last year we have been in forebearance due to economic hardship. We are hoping we can continue with forbearance throughout fellowship. That would mean another three years (2 more in residency and 1 in fellowship). I wonder if they take the cost of living into account with these calculations. We live in nyc and half of dh's income goes to rent and I'm currently staying home with the baby so we really have no 'disposible income' to speak of.

Yikes- I just looked at the calculator and it says we'd owe $340 a month. There is no way as we are barely breaking even as it is. I guess it doesn't consider cost of living.
                            Last edited by ides; 03-24-2009, 12:15 PM. Reason: to add
                            Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Originally posted by MarissaNicole3 View Post
                              So under this new plan can you still defer for three years? And after than you have to go back into repayment - you just have the option of having payments based on income?
                              I really don't think you can defer at all any more. Just forbearance.

(I tried out the calculator with my current salary plus DH's, and it puts our repayment pretty high. Still lower than what it would be if we did "normal" payments, but high. Of course, if I can't find a job that'll change things...)
                              Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Working...
                              X