Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Deep cleansing breaths...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep cleansing breaths...

25 people are showing up at my house on Sunday for Easter. Both sides of the family and some random strays are coming. I'm trying to pump myself up to enjoy it, but I'm feeling some perfectionist pressure.

Somehow when I moved back to the area, Easter became my official holiday to host on both sides of the family, although I do a smaller Christmas gathering and a summer party for baby girl too.

This house will be stuffed to the rafters (1940 sq. feet) and kids will be running through it amuck alongside the elderly.

You all know how I am about domestic stuff and entertaining. If everyone wants to grab a bucket of KFC on the way to a hike, I'm good to go. Making sure that I time everything right and everyone feels comfortable makes me nervous.

Did I mention I'm 32 weeks pregnant? Honestly pregnancy is not really an excuse because I've been pushing myself to do other crazy stuff these last few weeks.

Help? I can't even imbibe to get myself through. Does anyone have a real house elf I can borrow?

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Sounds like you should do an Easter egg hunt (kick all the tikes outside!!).

Have a great time!

Comment

How have the previous Easters gone? Is it just that it's more people this time?

If it helps any to think of it this way, I think people have lower and more flexible expectations of Easter than they do of, say, Christmas. No need for perfectionism. I really think people will enjoy whatever you put together and wouldn't notice anything missing that you decide to just skip.

And even if you still feel like 32 weeks is no excuse, I think others will still cut you lots of slack because of it. Once again, low expectations = everyone thrilled with whatever you do for them. If you're still feeling nimble then that's your secret weapon.

And I think 32 weeks IS an excuse despite camping or whatever up till now, because in the end every advancing week makes a big difference, I think. I remember stuff that seemed perfectly plausible in week 33 seeming like NFW in week 36 etc.

You'll do great!
      Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
      Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
      Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Any chance your relatives would consider a potluck? Seriously, if you are 32 weeks they should be more than willing to pitch in.
        Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I think it would be really nice if everyone helped by bringing a dish. You do the ham and assign sides or something like that. Around 32 weeks is when I started feeling slow and ungainly and the thought of doing all that makes me want to go to bed.

Comment

Most people are bringing a dish. I'm buying a ham and making four recipes. I have already set up tables and have paper products setting out.

Although I am not Mrs. domesticity, what stresses me out is having to be "on" for the entire day. This sort of thing wears me out. Also, we have some...big personalities...in our families. I hope that everyone behaves. It is anyone's guess as to how all this pathology under one roof will go.

In my fantasy, the iMSN bus would show up and some of our foodies would sweep in and take care of all this.

Kelly
            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

That would scare them!

Seriously, good luck. I'm with you on the domestic heebee jeebees.

Sounds like you have a good plan in place, though. Just get dressed early and try to relax before the mayhem starts.
              Angie
              Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
              Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Have a half a glass of wine 20 minutes before the first person is supposed to show up.

J.

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn View Post
                  Have a half a glass of wine 20 minutes before the first person is supposed to show up.

J.
                  That sounds like some great advice I would likely have half a bottle (w/o being pregnant of course!) No additional advice to add. The egg hunt sounds like a good way to keep the kids out of the house...maybe you can do an adult version of that as well
                  Danielle
                  Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

An adult egg hunt with the adult vices in eggs hidden all across the neighorhood...I like the way you think.

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake View Post
                      An adult egg hunt with the adult vices in eggs hidden all across the neighorhood...I like the way you think.
                      The image of adults running through a neighborhood, racing for eggs, shrieking with glee when they spot one .... . That's an egg hunt I can get behind!

Comment

just be sure to take it easy! and if it's not perfect...too bad! you'll do great!
                        ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Originally posted by Jane View Post
                          The image of adults running through a neighborhood, racing for eggs, shrieking with glee when they spot one .... . That's an egg hunt I can get behind!
                          That would be so much fun!
                          Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

An adult easter egg hunt sounds awesome!

Kelly, being "on" for that amount of time always stresses me out. I'm sure you'll do great and that everyone will have a fab time.

Comment

Working...
                            X