Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Doctors' Diaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctors' Diaries

Anyone going to watch this tonight and next week? Looks interesting:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/doctors/
    Danielle
    Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Thanks for posting this! I thought it was on last night.
    I'll probably DVR it and watch it when I can!

Comment

I had DH DVR this and we're looking forward to watching it. Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

I watched it, although not terribly closely. Last night seemed to be mostly a catch-up from their previous specials (they started following these people as med students in 1987). I think next week will be more current?

It was sort of interesting, but not earth-shattering or anything. I definitely got the sense that residency has improved dramatically since the early '90s.
        Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

we caught it last night, funny DH said he watched the first episode when he was applying for medical school. I want to see the updated one, 21 years later!

Comment

That ER guy Tom looks like he is a hot mess 21 years later! That should be an interesting follow up. Also the woman who trained in Peds and left medicine after training. I want to hear more about her.
            Danielle
            Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Ooh, I hadn't heard about this, but I'll definitely DVR it! Thanks for the post!
              Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

I watched it last night. I agree with Oceanchild, it was interesting but there was nothing surprising. I'm also looking forward to the conclusion to learn more about what happened to these doctors.

After watching it, I went to the NOVA website to read more about the doctors featured. It was sad that many of them have had turbulent personal lives. Almost all of the men experienced divorce. (I couldn't tell if the ophthalmologist had been divorced or not.) Of the women, I think two have never married or had children. The other woman didn't get married until 40 and then had children.She talked about when she turned 40, how she realized that she didn't have a husband or children and how sad she was at the prospect of not having a family. I thought it was interesting to see how medical training impacts women and men differently.

It was worth watching.
                Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

I just watched it. It was interesting and worth watching. I remember many of the students from when it was on originally (way before I met DH). It will be interesting to see what has happened in their lives post training. And yes, that ER doc is one hot mess.

Comment

I'm recording them, but haven't watched, yet.

I *think* I saw one of the earlier shows...was there a doc who met a woman when he was in training when she came in with a broken arm...he treated her, they fell in love, got married, were living in an apartment, and when there was a fire in the apartment, they realized it was the only thing holding them together, so they divorced then, just a few years after getting married?

If so, credit that with my trepidation when DH said he wanted to go to med school. It'll be interesting to see the follow-up.
                    Sandy
                    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I can't find it on any of our PBS channels, but looks likes I can watch it online.

Comment

I am looking forward to the follow-up. The ER doc did his residency at the same hospital where DH did his residency. I am hoping he won't turn out the same as that poor man.
                        Needs

Comment

Working...
                        X