Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Forget scorpions, we've moved on to...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alison, when our dog was bit, we lucked out that our vet had trained in Florida and was very familiar with treating snakebites. She kept one vial of the anti-venom at her office just in case. After the first dose, they had the time to get the next couple from emergency vet clinics.

Comment

Originally posted by houseelf View Post
      (BTW, I'm totally laughing at your attempts to persuade me to move to the Phoenix area).
      Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. DrK turned down an opportunity in Pheonix. (Believe it or not, Wichita was not our only option. -- of course, they have cicida bugs. . . ) All of this is making my skin crawl.
      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Oh no! Rattlesnakes are such creepy creatures. If it’s any conciliation my parents found a rattlesnake in their yard a few years ago and haven’t seen one since. Here’s hoping this will be your last sighting.

Regarding dog encounters, last summer while hiking I caught my dog standing over and smelling a coiled rattlesnake. Thankfully she was on a leash and I could drag her way before she was bitten, especially since the closest vet with anti-venom is a four hour drive away.

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake View Post
          Alison, when our dog was bit, we lucked out that our vet had trained in Florida and was very familiar with treating snakebites. She kept one vial of the anti-venom at her office just in case. After the first dose, they had the time to get the next couple from emergency vet clinics.
          That was lucky! Our vet doesn't keep it, because it's so expensive and they don't see enough bites to use it enough before it expires.
          Alison

Comment

Same for her, I think Zoey was the first time she used it at that clinic. Must have been an expensive hedge. She also recognized it as a bite when someone else initially thought it was a bee sting -- they could only find one fang mark. It was a big old snake because the fang marks were really far apart.

Comment

I think a lot of folks forget that there are rattle snakes from coast to coast...that goes for Ohio too Kelly

Comment

Yes. Lots of rattlers. But they usually stay in the hills. My friend had a 6-ft rattler in her front yard, though (she lived on an orchard) and her baby bro was about 10 ft away from it when the dad saw it. He got the son away and then got his shotgun and... no more rattler. Usually they stay away from population, but we've had some snakes around my mom's house, just not the rattlers.

But yuck. I never get used to seeing them. When they were dead on the road, we would just leave them there too. Animal control just doesn't want to get out there and clean them up. No reason for you to do that job!
                Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Snakes don't freak me out unless they're rattlers or copperheads - ack!

My dad got bit by a rattler once (in KS) and spent several days in the hospital because he swelled up like a balloon. Of course that is what happens when you try to catch one.

I hope you don't get anymore!
                  Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                    Of course that is what happens when you try to catch one.

eeeegads! He's lucky to still be around to tell that tale!

Comment

No rattle snakes in Illinois thank goodness but I'm told we have brown recluse Spiders here!
                      Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Originally posted by MarissaNicole3 View Post
                        No rattle snakes in Illinois thank goodness but I'm told we have brown recluse Spiders here!
                        ummm not according to this and other sites you get when you type in "rattlesankes and Illinois" :
                        http://www.lib.niu.edu/2000/oi001202.html

Comment

We've got it all, including Mountain Lions (as Rapunzel can attest!) as more people move out into what used to be country the animals are being displaced.

I figure since the part of San Antonio I live in had been inhabited for a few thousand years now, the baddies have given up and moved to the 'burbs.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn View Post
                            We've got it all, including Mountain Lions (as Rapunzel can attest!) as more people move out into what used to be country the animals are being displaced.

I figure since the part of San Antonio I live in had been inhabited for a few thousand years now, the baddies have given up and moved to the 'burbs.

Jenn
                            A few months ago, we almost hit a blind pedestrian and three deer on our way home from the movies. The movie theatre is about 5 city blocks from our home and the streets were all busy at that time. I've never seen deer in Miami -- or mountain lions or rattle snakes for that matter. Other types of snakes, gigantic flying insects, chickens. . . I can deal with that.
                            Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Did anyone see the piece on the Today show this morning about the increase in bed bugs - they think it is because they are becoming resistent to the pesticides... ewe bugs, snakes, spiders.... I hate them all!
                              Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

pictures???!!

Suz! Omg! Glad your neighbor could run it over for you!!
                                ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Working...
                                X