Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Is anyone following this story?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone following this story?

4th colonoscopy patient tests positive for HIV
    Colonoscopy equipment wasn't sterilized between patients, VA says
    The Associated Press
    updated 5:17 p.m. ET, Fri., April 24, 2009
    CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. - The Department of Veterans Affairs says a fourth person exposed to dirty equipment at its hospitals has tested positive for HIV.

The test result revealed Friday is the second positive HIV test from a patient who was treated at a VA hospital in Miami. The VA is investigating problems with cleaning medical equipment used for colonoscopies as well as ear, nose and throat exams at three of its Southeast hospitals.

Positive HIV tests have also been reported from patients at VA clinics in Murfreesboro, Tenn., and Augusta, Ga.

The agency says it doesn't yet know if the HIV and hepatitis cases are related to its treatment, but it has warned almost 11,000 veterans treated at those hospitals to get blood tests.

The VA also increased the number of patients who have hepatitis C to 20.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30393010/
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

It's sick how our Vets always get the very worst care.

Comment

Originally posted by Jane View Post
      It's sick how our Vets always get the very worst care.
      Horrible. And of all the equipment not to sterilize.

Comment

OMG! I am completely freaked out by this! I just started an internship for my MPH at the UPenn Division of HIV Prevention and Research.

Comment

Holy crap.

Is it wrong for me to interject that this is an example of a reason I don't want to put our govt. in charge of healthcare?
          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I wish I could remember where I heard this and who was saying it but I swear I heard someone (in congress?) praising the VA for healthcare delivery outcomes, etc.

Comment

Don't want to stoke the debate, really - but I've heard of equally horrid things happening in private or university institutions. Sloppy care can be rendered anywhere - particularly when pay is low and respect for the employee is even lower. Nursing homes scare me - even the nicer ones. Luckily, slipshod care it is the exception, not the rule.

My biggest in this story is when the switched from the colonoscopy bit straight in to the ENT bit. Colonoscopy equipment and ENT equipment shouldn't really be mentioned in the same breath.
              Angie
              Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
              Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Is it wrong for me to interject that this is an example of a reason I don't want to put our govt. in charge of healthcare?

Don't worry...OBama just wants to cut down on medical technology errors.

Comment

Working...
                X