Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

High school graduation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High school graduation

It's been a while since I received a high school graduation announcement. My cousin is graduating HS and going to culinary school. Thoughts on a gift? I was think a gift certificate to Sur La Table or Jessica's Biscuit (online cookbook store) but, duh, she just wants cold hard cash, right?

Is she going away to school (like not living at home)? Cash is always good, but also maybe a gift certificate to places like Target, etc to get some dorm items...

Cash sometimes seems so impersonal - so maybe say in your card that the cash is for ______ (like her chefs coat or something) - that way she can spend it how she likes, but you look like you put some thought into giving her a thoughtful and useful gift!
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

If you give a gift cert. that goes for something she will actually *need* for school, though, that's as good as cash, really. Can you find out where the students get their chef clothes and/or other school supplies (knives?), and get her a gift cert. there?
      Sandy
      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I think she is going to continue living with her mom. They live in Hawaii and living on her own is an expensive proposition.

I do feel like the cash is kind of impersonal. I'll see if I can find the school website and where they buy stuff -- good idea! I also need to see if there is even a Sur La Table there so that she could test out a knife or something like that.

Thanks for the ideas!

Comment

Maybe the school bookstore has gift certificates?
          Luanne
          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I don't remember seeing a Sur la Table in Hawaii, but I do remember Williams and Sonoma (at the Ala Moana Shopping Center). Do they live in Honolulu?

Whatever you decide to go with will make a lovely graduation present!
            married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

They are on Oahu and yes, the W-S at the Ala Moana is all I found. No Sur La Table. I think I might do a W-S gift card. That is what my mom is giving her and she could pool them together. That or Jessica's Biscuit. I know that a knives will be a big purchase for her and she can find what she needs at W-S. Now I have to decide how much. I feel like my mom and her sibs sort of cheaped out on this graduation. Stinks being the youngest cousin, I guess. The school might direct her to a restaurant supply store but I don't feel like tracking that down.

Thanks for the bookstore idea, Luanne. I think she is doing her pre-reqs at one place and the culinary school at another. ?? I'm getting a little confused.
              Last edited by cupcake; 05-18-2009, 07:02 PM.

Comment

I just got a grad announcment too from a distant relative but his parents are really great so I would like to send something. Is there an amount that is appropriate? I was thinking $50.
                Mom to three wild women.

Comment

That is what I was going to do -- $50. I haven't seen her in couple of years but we saw each other more often when she was younger. We also received an announcement from DH's partner's graduating child (high school). DH is thinking more for that one. I have been out of this loop for a while!

Comment

Why in the world would you send a high school graduation announcement to your partner if there isn't a close personal relationship between the graduating kid and the partner?
                    Luanne
                    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

for the gifts ...

Comment

I don't think I would recognize the kid if I ran into him on the street (but we have met him a few times). Oh well. I have a conflict but DH will stop by the party.
                        Last edited by cupcake; 05-19-2009, 11:06 PM.

Comment

I think cash is the standard for graduation gifts. Keep life simple.
                          -Ladybug

Comment

I remember that cash was nice - but I think a gift certificate is just as nice... I just didn't like getting all those trinkets related to graduation - those things are useless and just take up space...

My Aunt did the gift certificate to the school book store and I loved it! I also like the WS gift card - both practical but flexible gifts!

I also think it is generous that you are giving a gift to your cousin (we don't do gifts for our cousins)
                            Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Originally posted by Ladybug View Post
                              I think cash is the standard for graduation gifts. Keep life simple.
                              Yep, sticking with cash for the partner's kid. I'm going to do the gift cert for my cousin just because I want to her to feel some extra encouragment for her future plans. Though I'm sure she has need for the cash as well. There are some extenuating circumstances for her. I don't care if I "make my mom look cheap" because that isn't my intention (which she mentioned...but the gift isn't about her!).

Comment

Working...
                              X