Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Good Audio Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Audio Books

I'm looking for a few good audio books for our 2.5 week road trip. The kids will be able to hear it, but likely won't be actively listening (Nintendo DS, movies, iPods), so it doesn't need to be entirely kid friendly, but nothing raunchy or explicit.

I love biographies, but might also enjoy a good mystery -- it's been ages since I've read one.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

I always recommend the James Harriot books. Kid friendly and good stories.
    Kris

Comment

Not sure if you like humor but we've listened to a bunch of Dave Barry stuff on audio book. It's hilarious and it's fairly short in terms of content/chapters so it's not a big deal if someone dozes off because it's not like you missed some crucial plotline. Plus, I bet the kids would think it was hilarious. We were literally crying when he began talking about dogs because it was so familiar. Plus, it's all based on his columns so it's all publishable and not offensive.
      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

You could always do kid-friendly novels, too- A Christmas Carol, Watership Down, Harry Potter (Of course!) and that kind of thing.

Jenn

Comment

In the past, DW has downloaded podcasts of "This American Life" from NPR and played it on the car radio. I found them enjoyable and entertaining. They offer variety and less commitment than entire book too.
          Last edited by uvagradk; 05-28-2009, 02:23 PM.

Comment

I love "This American Life" but you should pre-screen as some of their topics may not be appropriate for kids. "A Prairie Home Companion" may be more appropriate. Their annual joke show is usually very kid-friendly.
            Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I just read (ok - heard) Founding Mothers - The Women who raised our nation by Cokie Roberts. Was quite fascinating and the best part was that it is read by Cokie...I kind of like her distinct voice.
              Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

We enjoyed the Anne of Avonlea series a few years back on a road trip.
                Tara
                Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                  I love "This American Life" but you should pre-screen as some of their topics may not be appropriate for kids. "A Prairie Home Companion" may be more appropriate. Their annual joke show is usually very kid-friendly.
                  I have to agree with pre-screening. There are so many topics that I just don't want DS to hear. Particularly if David Sedaris is on. (He's one of my fav authors - just not kid friendly.)
                  Kris

Comment

Sedaris is a trip.

Comment

Originally posted by uvagradk View Post
                      Sedaris is a trip.
                      Yep - usually the kind associated with acid...

I just finished listening to "When you are engulfed in flames." Definately not kid friendly, but still pretty funny.
                      Kris

Comment

I loved "Naked".

Comment

My favorite story was the one where he was working as a Macy's Elf at Christmas.

That at anything involving his sisters. They are always incredible. I wonder where the line between fact and fiction is and if he can actually see it.
                          Kris

Comment

If you're not caught up on Wait Wait, don't tell me, that's always good. Most of the Wodehouse Jeeves series are available in audiobook format; we've checked a bunch out of the library in the past. Anything by Bill Bryson is good, too. This is all assuming you want humor and your sense of humor is anything like mine, of course.
                            Sandy
                            Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Sedaris is always great. On our trip we listened to the The Great Bridge: The Epic Story of the Building of the Brooklyn Bridge. We found it quite interesting and the boys might listen in here and there.
                              Danielle
                              Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Working...
                              X