Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Is iPhone worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is iPhone worth it?

Is the iPhone really that great? DH has already proclaimed that he is getting one when our contract expires next year. He explained in great detail why as I doctor, he just has to have one. I was also going to get one until I saw the a data plan is $30!! That means we would be paying $60 for two data plans in addition to the phone plan, tax, and equipment protection. Is it really worth it? Do any of you who don't work have it or is it pretty much just the docs that have one?

Just the husband has one right now. They do look fun though. He says I am getting one too, just not sure what I am going to do with it..
    Brandi
    Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

They look great and I know DH would love to have one. However, we decided that, for us, it wasn't worth the extra money. DH already has an iPod Touch and keeping our cheap-o cell phones seems like an effortless way to minimize our monthly expenses. I'm guessing DH will make the upgrade once our residency budget has been tested and our savings have reached pre-home buying levels. I don’t really have a need for all the extras and probably won’t ever get one (but I’m also pretty cheap ).

Comment

For me it is worth it. I don't have another iPod so I use it for that. We don't have gps in the car and I use that feature daily. I use the calendar for putting in dh's schedule and organizing my life around it! It is just oh so useful when traveling.
        I am pretty cheap too but there are lots of things we don't have - home phone, cable, second car - and I still choose the iphone over these! Well maybe I'd pick the car but that is more than $30/mo.
        Dh does not have one but wants the new one supposedly coming out.

Comment

And DH already has the touch, but doesn't want to carry both a touch and his other phone. Whatever. He uses alot of applications on the touch. I think he just wants the newest and latest gadgets and always uses medicine as an excuse.

Comment

They look so cool but we've resisted. Not big technology people in this house.
            Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Dh and I both have iPhones. I love mine. I don't listen to music much unless I'm using a sound dock (a remnant from my childhood -- my parents didn't let me wear headphones because they thought I'd get hit by a car). I use it for email, internet surfing, and the maps feature.
              married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisada View Post
                And DH already has the touch, but doesn't want to carry both a touch and his other phone. Whatever. He uses alot of applications on the touch. I think he just wants the newest and latest gadgets and always uses medicine as an excuse.

And here I was thinking my husband was the only one that needed all these toys for medicine. Every time something new comes out, he starts going on about how it will make his life easier.
                Brandi
                Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

That's how he got the iPod video when he was an MS1. He told me he just had to have it so that he could watch his lectures and I so fell for it.

Comment

Ah yes, that’s why we are the proud owners of a tablet PC. I’ve seen him use the tablet function of that stupid thing exactly once. Oh but he simply had to have one before he started medical school.

Comment

iPhone- yes, if you need internet capability because it's super easy to use. It was my husband's present to himself after deployment.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by Bittersweet View Post
                        Ah yes, that’s why we are the proud owners of a tablet PC. I’ve seen him use the tablet function of that stupid thing exactly once. Oh but he simply had to have one before he started medical school.
                        Yep!! We have one of those things. I am pretty sure I have never seen him use it. He got something so he could listen to his lectures at home, which at the time I thought would be great, more time together!! WRONG... DEAD WRONG, so instead of him going to school to listen his sits at home, during this time there can be no TV's on anywhere (or he might get distracted), no phone calls, I can hardly breathe or it is to loud. I have to be so quiet that I secretly like it when he goes to school, I can listen to the radio or do whatever... I kinda feel bad about saying that now!!
                        Brandi

Comment

DH also was required to have a tablet, which he actually does use. He just loves to write on his tablet.

Comment

The iPhone plan is a little spendy, but check for discounts for the hospital. We had no idea that DH's hospital qualified us for any kind of discount with AT&T until we went to pick up our phones straight from the hospital and DH was still in his scrubs and wearing his hospital ID badge. The gal we were working with noticed and told us about the discount and made sure we received it. She even checks our usage occasionally to make sure our plan fits our needs.

And after I dropped my stupid phone in a giant glass of iced tea, I reailzed how much I rely on this stupid thing. I heart my iPhone. Probably too much.

Comment

I love my iPhone too. I even joked that I am more likely to leave Kai somewhere than my iPhone!! If I was thinking of getting one now I'd hold out until the iPhone video (new one coming out in a few weeks or a month). But I think the improvements coming with the 3.0 software update will make it even better.

As for usefulness for work, I bet it's specialty dependent. Russ does have an eye chart on his that he can use in a pinch but other than that it's not as helpful. For me there is a vet app with pictures I can show owners and I have a document reader that allows me to use the word docs I created in school for my Dell Axim. A formulary would be helpful and I'm sure there is a good one in the works but I'm being cheap right now and stick with free apps. Oh and we use the free epocrates (had the paid version when he was an intern).
                              Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Working...
                              X