Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

CSAs (Community Supported Agriculture group)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSAs (Community Supported Agriculture group)

Has anyone ever joined one? If so, what was your experience? Did you get too much produce, not enough, stuff you didn't use, etc.?

We just joined one and we are excited to get our first box. It seems like a lot of money, but I like the idea of getting local produce. I'm curious to see if my grocery bill will go down since I (hopefully) won't be buying as much produce at the grocery store. I'm curious to hear about others experiences.
    Last edited by JaneDoe; 06-08-2009, 03:57 PM.
    Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

This is the first time participating in a CSA since living in Oregon. I think it does offset grocery bills though I'm not sure it completely offsets the CSA cost. I usually don't buy a big bunch of radishes, Japanese turnips and mizuna.

Our CSA sends an email with the contents for the week so I can kind of plan for it.

Comment

We did one for a year, and while I love the idea of it, we ended up not signing up again. We have rabbits, and they ended up eating a lot of the extra vegetables that we didn't like or never got around to using. I think it was too much for us, but it wouldn't have been if we'd made better use of what we got.

I'm still toying with trying another one, so I wouldn't call it a total failure, but it could have worked much better for us than it did.
      Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

No- there aren't any openings. BUT I do have a "local box" delivered weekly (or so) from the organic grocery delivery site and every week it's what's available and in season from the local farmers.

How to use Daikon radishes- pickle them.

Jenn

Comment

We joined one for the first time this year and part of the reason I decided to go for it was that they offered a "salad share" that includes only things you would put in a salad, which is the main reason I wanted to join one in the first place. I don't think we would do a full share justice, sadly, because we just aren't home for enough meals. I got my first salad box on Saturday and have been enjoying large yummy salads each day since then! I can't wait until tomatoes are ripe!
          Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

We have one. We get a family size which is perfect for my very large and hungry DF and I for a week.

We LOVE it. It forced us to cook things we never would have tried (pumpkin, beets, turnips, bok choy, many kinds of salad greens). I feel like it would be harder with kids or less adventuresome eaters but we've ADORED it.

Ours isn't that expensive and also offers discounts to low income families. I love the idea of paying local farmers and it's worked out great so far. This will be our first June (we joined last August) with it so I'm so excited to see what you get each week as things ripen.
            Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
            Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Always wanted to do one of these. But with just DH and I, I am so afraid that most would go to waste. I hear that they are hard to get into and expensive, but I would love to try it out sometime. I love fresh veggies!!
              Brandi
              Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

It's a wonderful idea, and exposes you to new and bizarre greens. Alot depends on the particular group you go with. I never joined one, because I've always had enough of my own produce, but I was involved with running one back in NJ. (check it out - they have lots of good information about CSAs and an exhaustive list of what they've harvested each week since 2002! http://aesop.rutgers.edu/~studentfarm/ )
                If they offer half-shares, it might be worthwhile to start with that, until you see if you can use it all.
                Some of them let the kids go harvest stuff themselves, or have educational programs, which is an extra bonus.
                During a good year, you'll make out like a bandit, but in a dry or otherwise poor-growth year, you might not do so well, which is part of the CSA idea - you share in the farmer's risk.
                Let us know how it works out!
                Last edited by fluffhead; 06-08-2009, 07:05 PM.
                Enabler of DW and 5 kids
                Let's go Mets!

Comment

I second fluff's suggestion for a half-share. I have done that in the past and it was a more reasonable size for us. We have a full share this year and I'm sharing the extra. We got a cherry tomato start last week -- I thought that was great. I hope to have a more active garden next year and might not do the CSA then.

This site can help you find one:
                  http://www.localharvest.org/csa/

Comment

I didn't even know about a half share. Oh well, I've already sent my money in for a full share, so we'll see what we think. This is truly an experiment for us. We will get our first box a week from today. Yeah!
                    Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

The farm we are signed up with doesn't offer a half share. It might not have been an option. Enjoy your veggies! I have to pick mine up today.

Comment

Ours has a half share option too. You could also pair with another family to split it up - we've done that with our neighbors on weeks where we were leaving for the weekend.

Oh and anyone in Cleveland, PM me if you want info on the one we do.
                        Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

We did one last year that was just okay- we got eggs weekly and honey at the end so that was nice. After being on a long waiting list, I got into a really good one-we got a full share and are splitting it with another family. Splitting helps make the investment not so steep. We are out of town for the month of June and will miss the first four weeks of it though. I have been reading the newsletters and am excited to see what we will get when we get back.
                          Mom to three wild women.

Comment

Eggs and honey -- that is very cool!

Ours has a blog and does weekly updates with the veggies we will get and suggestions for how to prepare some things. Right now I am wishing we had a berry CSA since the local berries are becoming available. (I don't know if there is such a thing).

Comment

This forum really has me wanting to try one of these out!!! How long is a waiting list?
                              Brandi
                              Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X