Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Holocaust Museum Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holocaust Museum Shooting

They are reporting that some anti-semitic Nazi-admirer was the shooter this afternoon.

Awful, awful, awful. And Robert Gibbs is SUCH an idiot. He's doing his daily press conference right now, and he lead with...anything else. Why wasn't the first thing he did was to extend condolences and concerns to the victims? What a boob.

Just turned on the tv. Oh gosh! I know school's out for many of you and you've hit the road. I hope you're all alright!
    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I got texted by my cousin this morning.

Abigail from everything I've read (bunches of sources) it's kind of crazy- the DC police may have asked him to not comment specifically on anything.

Immediately surrounding the museum there are about 10 different police agencies so I imagine the whose in charge thing might be as wacky as usual. (Treasury is immediately across the street, Park Service is immediately adjacent, the FCC is right there, plus, DC Police, the Smithsonian Police, and the FBI. Plus god knows how many others.)

Scary stuff. I'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner TBH because there are always lines to get in and the building itself is kind of off the beaten path along the Mall.

I hope everyone is OK.

Jenn

Comment

This is the first I've heard of this. Do they think it's something isolated or are they concerned about the other Holocaust Museums being targets? My MIL is volunteering today at the new one in Chicagoland. She won't have her cell turned on to check. Is there something more to be concerned about or is it a single person?
        -Deb
        Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Everything I've ready sounds like a one off guy though he does sound like he was tied to some groups, but nothing has been said about other attacks being expected.
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

According to MSNBC, it was one shooter from the Eastern Shore of Maryland (no surprise there, either) who was born in 1920. He has a very Germanic sounding name and apparently belongs to some anti-government/neo-nazi kinds of groups.

Jenn

Comment

WASHINGTON - An elderly gunman exchanged fire with security guards inside the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum on Wednesday. One security guard and the gunman were taken to a hospital with life-threatening injuries.

Law enforcement officials identified the suspect as James Wenneker von Brunn, 88, from the Eastern Shore of Maryland, NBC News reported. NBC said he may have had connections to hate groups or anti-government groups.

D.C. police spokeswoman Traci Hughes said the suspect walked into the museum at about 12:50 p.m. ET with a rifle and shot a guard. U.S. Park Police Sgt. David Schlosser says one or more guards at the museum returned fire, hitting the suspect.

D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier said the suspect immediately began shooting his rifle as he entered the museum. The FBI said it had no earlier reports of threats against the museum.

Authorities said the gunman was in critical condition and the security guard was in grave condition. Both were taken to George Washington University Hospital.

A third person reportedly was hurt after being cut by broken glass.

Von Brunn is believed to have had contact with law enforcement in the past, according to NBC. A D.C. Superior Court jury convicted a man by the same name in 1983 of attempting to kidnap members of the Federal Reserve Board.

The case involved a 1981 incident in which police arrested Von Brunn at the board's headquarters carrying several weapons. He was convicted and later released from federal prison in 1989, records show.

The White House said President Barack Obama was saddened by the shooting and concerned about a guard who was reportedly injured.

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said he told Obama about the shooting on Wednesday afternoon. Gibbs later told reporters that he gave Obama the facts as they were known at the time, shortly after shots were fired.

Gibbs says White House officials are receiving regular updates from the FBI, the Homeland Security Council and the White House Situation Room.

The museum normally has a heavy security presence with guards positioned both inside and outside. All visitors are required to pass through metal detectors at the entrance, and bags are screened.

It was not immediately known whether the gunman made it through the detectors before opening fire.

The museum, located just off the National Mall near the Washington Monument, is a popular tourist attraction. It draws about 1.7 million visitors each year.

Roads surrounding the museum have been closed and blocked off with yellow tape. Several police cars and officers on horses surround the area.

Schlosser said park police SWAT teams are doing a secondary sweep of the building, but they don't believe there is another gunman.

Sandy Perkins of Massachusetts said her daughter, Abigail, called her shortly after the shooting. The teen was on a school trip to the museum and told her mother students heard several shots before they were told to leave the building.

Abigail said some of her friends were very shaken, but all were otherwise fine, Sandy Perkins said.

The teens did not see where the shots were coming from.

Linda Elston, who is visiting the museum from Nevada City, Calif., says she was on the lower level of the museum watching a film when she and others were told to evacuate.

"It was totally full of people," Elston said. "It took us awhile to get out."

She said she didn't hear any shots and didn't immediately know why there was an evacuation leaving her feeling "a little anxious."

The Embassy of Israel in Washington said it was "shocked and saddened" by the shooting in a statement.

Comment

So horrible!

Comment

It's so disorganized... Chaos. Jane/Jenn P is in DC now with her family-- isn't she? I think these are her dates- I hope she's not on the mall today.
                  Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn View Post
                    Abigail from everything I've read (bunches of sources) it's kind of crazy- the DC police may have asked him to not comment specifically on anything.
                    Oh, yeah--I'm sure he's not supposed to blab details...that's why it was Gibbs out there, not Biden. (snark, snark, snark!) I just meant, seriously, buddy...you could at least give your condolences. That's hardly interfering with a police investigation. Whatever, though. Gibbs is so inept that it's probably better he didn't lead with that, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
                      This is the first I've heard of this. Do they think it's something isolated or are they concerned about the other Holocaust Museums being targets? My MIL is volunteering today at the new one in Chicagoland. She won't have her cell turned on to check. Is there something more to be concerned about or is it a single person?

Just one guy, but seems to be affiliated with a wacko group. I'll bet your MIL is just fine and in a security room, or something, until they are sure of what they are dealing with (whether it's an isolated incident, or if any group is coordinating).

Comment

Jenn just posted on Facebook, they're fine.
                        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I just read about this. Totally turned my stomach.
                          Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

The AP is reporting that the security guard who was shot has passed. That is just heartbreaking. I saw his pictures on the TV. Guy looked young...

Comment

This is just heartbreaking.
                              Brandi
                              Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X