Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Accident number 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accident number 2

So DH got hit the other day while driving home. It was a fender-bender. The other guy was completely at fault- and his insurance has finally processed the claim and so DH can get started on getting the car appraised. In the meantime, he's been driving our old Suburban which is a humungous gas hog...

What should we be on the lookout for in the appraisal process? We haven't done this for 10 years. DH's car has physical damage to the rear bumper, it'll need to be replaced. Also, and this is what worries me, after being hit, the car started making a high-pitched squealing noise from the engine area. That's why DH hasn't driven it since the accident about 1 week ago. How do you get that kind of thing appraised? Do you have to go to a body shop AND a mechanic? All our accidents before have only dealt with body issues...

Sigh.

I hate cars.
    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

The insurance company may have a specific place they recommend that you take it- or you can always take it to the dealer, too.
    Jenn

Comment

Sucks!! I am so sorry!

Comment

In Florida, the insurance company had me get 3 quotes...I went to the dealer, another highend place and the place I actually waned to get the repair at. The insurance company cut me a check.

In Louisiana, the insurance company asked me if I had a preferred place and thankfully, it was on their list of approved places. The insurance company handled all payment, etc through the shop....the shop just called me when my car was done. (I also got a rental from the insurance company that picked me up from the shop.)
        Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Oh and IIRC, the body shops usually have some contracted mechanic that can handle the other stuff.
          Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

What a headache...

Sigh...

DH hasn't called back since he, you know, works all the time. When he was calling during working hours he was put on hold for 30 minutes! What's he supposed to do? Wait forever? With the chiefs and attendings breathing down his neck.

Anyone have any insight into State Farm? That's who he's dealing with. Our insurance-- USAA-- was so much smoother 5 monhts back when DH crashed his car the last time... Of course that was our insurance handling it, since it was his fault...
            Peggy

Comment

I'm in a bit of a rush, but we are covered under State Farm for our car. State Farm has collision repair shops that they work with, so ask them which ones are close to you. For us, it was Gerber. I think they're all over the country. We were happy with the repairs, even though we had to pay the deductible for the hit and run (City of Chicago truck hit our parked car, people ran after it to stop the truck and get the license plate number -- that's how we know exactly what it was).
              married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Originally posted by alison View Post
                I'm in a bit of a rush, but we are covered under State Farm for our car. State Farm has collision repair shops that they work with, so ask them which ones are close to you. For us, it was Gerber. I think they're all over the country. We were happy with the repairs, even though we had to pay the deductible for the hit and run (City of Chicago truck hit our parked car, people ran after it to stop the truck and get the license plate number -- that's how we know exactly what it was).

I can't believe you had to pay the deductible. That is CRAZY.

DH calls State Farm all the time... The hold time is FOREvER... It really sucks... I can't call b/c I'm not listed as the owner of anything. At all.
                Peggy

Comment

Yup. State Farm told me it didn't make sense to pursue the City of Chicago, even though there were witnesses to the accident. One of the witnesses told the police that the truck driver knew that he had hit my car and blew a red light, because people were chasing after the truck... It was election day, and my car was parked in front of a polling station. They don't call this Crook County (actual name "Cook County") for nothing.

Comment

Sorry, I don't have any useful information for you, but I just wanted to say that in my opinion State Farm has the worst reputation I've ever heard of. They pull this kind of crap all the time. I was officially turned off of them when my in-laws house burned down (they were not at fault), and State Farm repeatedly denied their claims. They eventually had to go through the hassle and expense of hiring a lawyer to get at least some money from them. They are a terrible, awful company, and I would never trust them to insure anything. Good luck with them, but I wouldn't get my hopes up for a fair settlement...
                    Laurie
                    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

DH argued with them over the phone yesterday for a long time. Sounds like what they do is have him take the car to the mechanic that they have a contract with, and after the mechanic diagnoses the problem, some STATE FARM person gets to determine if it was due to the accident. If they think it's not due to the accident, we are supposed to eat it.

And the mechanic told DH to go ahead and drive it in to them... Even though ever since the accident, as in immediately after the accident, there has been this whine from the engine. DH only drove home after the accident, he hasn't been driving it, and any request for a rental car or anything has been denied...

WE got hit. I think they suck.

We will contact a lawyer if they try to screw us into paying to fix whatever damage was causted by the dips**t who hit DH (about 5 seconds AFTER DH stopped at a Red Light-- thank goodness DH leaves a ridiculous amt of space between himself and the car in front of him, otherwise there would've been another car involved-- the impact of the car hitting DH moved DH forward by 5 feet.)

I know a lawyer would cost us more, but it's the principle man...

USAA is so much better-- it's not even close.
                      Peggy

Comment

Peggy-

Call USAA and see what they say. Because they handle your car, they may pull out the big guns to deal with State Farm.

Jenn

PS- and if you haven't already, get your name on EVERYTHING. You can't be a military spouse with the possibility of deployment without being able to discuss any and all of your accounts. I'm on everything plus stuff he doesn't even know about.

Comment

I know Jenn... I have Power of Attorney, but I need to get my name on stuff. It's just that when contracts are being signed, I'm babysitting the kids...

That's a good tip about USAA... I'll get on that!
                          Peggy

Comment

Like you, I was told to drive my car to the colision/repair place, and I told them that I didn't feel safe driving the car. I said they either pick it up themselves or pay to have it towed. In my experience, the collision/repair people inspected the car. It wasn't unreasonable, and you can expect that the damage that was done to your car will be covered.

State Farm is nothing but trouble. My dad has been with them for years, so we've stuck with them. We've gotten hit on two separate occasions, and a valet parker did some serious damage to the car (ran into something). State Farm would have nothing to do with these accidents.

Comment

Sounds like you might want to shop around Alison!!!

Esp if you guys get another car down the line...
                              Peggy

Comment

Working...
                              X