Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Disinfecting Ties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disinfecting Ties

Anyone know if it's possible to disinfect ties?

Thinking of how germy DH's must be from wearing them at the hospital grosses me out. He changes as soon as he gets home but still...ick. And what about the poor immuno-compromised patients who have docs examining them with germ-infested ties?

I wish they would ban doctors from wearing ties like they've done in Europe (or so I've heard!)

My husband doesn't wear ties to work but when he did do civilian rotations, we sent his ties to the dry-cleaners.

I wonder if you can lysol them w/out ruining them?

Jenn

Comment

Depending on the rotation, DrK does not wear a tie either. Sometimes it's because the ties are said to carry germs. Sometimes it's because he's on a psych ward where a tie could be used to strangle doc.
      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

and that is precisely why I haven't worn necklaces or dangling earrings for the last 25 years of my life. It's just easier to not have them. But then again, the only times I've ever been attacked (three different times) I was hit with a rake, punched and the best was the client running towards me with hedgetrimmers pointed directly at me.

Got out of direct care shortly after that...

OK- back on subject.

Jenn

Comment

Tara
          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravenclaw View Post

I wish they would ban doctors from wearing ties like they've done in Europe (or so I've heard!)
            It depends on the country, but the guidelines in Northern Ireland (according to the gf) are to be bare below the elbow, including watches, and if ties are being worn they are to be tucked into the shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn View Post
              and that is precisely why I haven't worn necklaces or dangling earrings for the last 25 years of my life. It's just easier to not have them. But then again, the only times I've ever been attacked (three different times) I was hit with a rake, punched and the best was the client running towards me with hedgetrimmers pointed directly at me.

Got out of direct care shortly after that...

OK- back on subject.

Jenn
              Yeah, direct care is a blast. Especially when he was working in the prisons and mental hospitals. Lots of things that would be taken for granted, cannot be. For instance, he cannot let the patient get between him and the door. And he cannot let the patient bring in coffee because hot coffee can be a weapon. He's not allowed to carry any keys -- even keys to his own house. Generally, he's big enough and intimidating enough that they don't mess with him but he's had patients attack each other, injure themselves, and behave distructively when he's present. He's had to physically restrain patients. In those circumstances neckties (and I'm sure dangling earrings) are not a good idea.

Ok, so we've strayed. The subject was germs. When DrK wears ties, we have them dry cleaned frequently. And in some rotations he has been asked not to wear them because they do carry germs and get in the way when leaning over patients.
              Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

What about changing over to bow ties?
                married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Dh wears bow ties. His fav store is beauties ltd. we wend the bows and longs to the cleaners.
                  Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

I'm told you can take them to a dry cleaner, DH rarely wears them but I would like to get them done someday.
                    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I just washed his in the washer on handwash. Some didn't survive but they were all cheap ties anyway. Now that he's ophtho he doesn't wear them...something about it leading to glaucoma.
                      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

DH didn't wear his either. His classmates were always shocked but he just thought it was way too gross. The few times we had to, we sent them to the dry cleaners. I also got him a tie clip to minimize the tie falling onto someone's germs in the hospital.
                        Danielle
                        Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Repeated dry cleaning seems to damage ties. Maybe we don't take them to the right place. Has anyone tried Dryel or that sort of thing with ties?

I've read good things about this place: http://www.tiecrafters.com/cleaning.html

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake View Post
                            Repeated dry cleaning seems to damage ties. Maybe we don't take them to the right place. Has anyone tried Dryel or that sort of thing with ties?

I've read good things about this place: http://www.tiecrafters.com/cleaning.html

I am wondering about Dryel as well?
                            Brandi
                            Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Dh has a huge collectionbof silk gies that I should sell on eBay. After spending hundreds on his ties over the years he helped institute x no tie policy here. Docs here now aren't permitted ties due go the health risks.

Hmmmm. Maybe I dill sell the lot on eBay.
                              ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                              ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Working...
                              X