Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Star Gazing in Your Hood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I LOVED Life Goes On when I was a kid!

The funniest thing about living in CA now is that all the official documents like the DMV driver's guide and licensing papers for dh to practice here all have Schwarzenegger's name and/or picture on them! It's hard to take these sorts of things seriously when all you can think of is "Governator."

I've seen quite a few famous people in Chicago -- dh is better at spotting them though. I've seen Dustin Hoffman and Will Ferrell. Dh has seen Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughan (when they were filming the Break Up), Johnny Depp (swooooon!), and Christian Bale (both when he was in town for Public Enemies and for the Dark Knight).
    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Too funny Alison, I thought the same thing yesterday while reading a letter from the Medical Board of CA

One year in LA and I have seen nobody! But I probably am hanging out in the wrong neighborhoods. And honestly I don't watch TV so would only really recognise the big movie stars. I see things being filmed all the time but usually when I find out what it is - something boring like a commercial.

My brother (in England) met and chatted with Prince Charles this week though!

Comment

Originally posted by Lamorna View Post

My brother (in England) met and chatted with Prince Charles this week though!
        and what's the back story...does your brother often rub elbows w/the Windsors ??

Comment

Last year dh sat three seats over from Alice Cooper at a dance competition in Phoenix. Don't know who he was there to see but after he left one of the other dads looked over at dh and said, "dude, that was Alice Cooper!" I was helping one of the girls change so I missed him.
          Tara
          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by pinkpickles View Post
            and what's the back story...does your brother often rub elbows w/the Windsors ??
            LOL! No. They were visiting the island that he is living/working on for the summer. It is a tiny place known for it's beautiful gardens, so I assume they were visiting them. My bro was one of two staff members told by management to stay well away from where the royals were, because he is kind of a quirky, scruffy guy and does not have the right "look"!!! But he apparently did not follow instructions because he came close enough for Charles to take a liking to my brothers hat (some crazy thing he had picked up in Australia), and he went over to ask him about it!

Comment

Originally posted by Lamorna View Post
              LOL! No. They were visiting the island that he is living/working on for the summer. It is a tiny place known for it's beautiful gardens, so I assume they were visiting them. My bro was one of two staff members told by management to stay well away from where the royals were, because he is kind of a quirky, scruffy guy and does not have the right "look"!!! But he apparently did not follow instructions because he came close enough for Charles to take a liking to my brothers hat (some crazy thing he had picked up in Australia), and he went over to ask him about it!
              That's such a neat story!
              married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I thought of another today. One of my law partners is an entertainment lawyer and represents lots minor local celebrities, and some folks trying to break into show business. He periodically hosts intimate show cases for his up and comers. There are generally about 20-40 people in attendance. I went to one where "The Other Williams Sister" was performing. She's the younger sister of Venus and Serena Williams. She sings and writes R&B music. Really, I didn't even get her name because she was actually introduced as "The Other Williams Sister" and Venus and Serena were there. I sat in front of Serena. The younger sister looks like her. Venus sang back up (she's a very striking woman in person).
                Last edited by MrsK; 07-06-2009, 08:04 AM.
                Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanchild View Post
                  When I lived in LA, I used to stalk the West Wing. Saw a couple film shoots (and was in one), .
                  which one? how have we not had this conversation before????

Having come from Cleveland and now living in suburban Kansas City, I figure you all know that I've got NOTHING as far as star sightings.

I've got all sorts of connections through my cousin and her family (sightings / this one knows that one -- her BIL is the Cantor at Speilberg's temple and did Sasha's bat mitzvah, and her SIL worked with Michelle Obama and her niece/nephew went to school at the Lab with Sasha and Malia) ... but even when I'm in the right area I barely notice. I apparently walked right by Hal Holbrook on Rodeo Drive and didn't see him, and Jim Belushi drove his shiny black car right by my face, and again, I didn't see him.

Comment

Originally posted by Jane View Post
                    which one? how have we not had this conversation before????
                    I'm pretty sure we have had this conversation before. But the episode is called "College Kids" (season 4), and I'm in the crowd scenes at the Rock the Vote concert. I can tell you how to find the back of my head if you are really interested, but that's the best I can offer, despite my having been there for like 20 hours.
                    Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanchild View Post
                      I'm pretty sure we have had this conversation before. But the episode is called "College Kids" (season 4), and I'm in the crowd scenes at the Rock the Vote concert. I can tell you how to find the back of my head if you are really interested, but that's the best I can offer, despite my having been there for like 20 hours.
                      It's all coming back to me now ....

Comment

I only notice celebrities on my own if they're about two feet away. I shared an elevator with Madeleine Albright once (she is wee), nearly knocked grocery carts with Jennifer Garner recently, and found myself looking at the same painting as Jeanne Tripplehorn. Otherwise my friends--and even my husband, who is so much less tuned in to celebrities in general--are always pointing out people I never would have spotted.

Comment

Otherwise my friends--and even my husband, who is so much less tuned in to celebrities in general--are always pointing out people I never would have spotted.
                          In that vein, the other day DrK asked me who Angelina Jolie is married to . . .
                          Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

NYC is the place to randomly see stars trying to blend in if you ask me. When I lived there I saw SJP at Whole Foods (she was at the deli ordering!), Chad Lowe in Chinatown, and Danny Devito walking outside on my way home from work. Oh and I saw Kristen Johnston! She is TALL.

Comment

In Nashville we see stars all the time. My family goes to church with Wynona Judd and Dave Ramsey. My brother is really good friends with his daughters. I have seen John Legend at the airport here in Michigan. I actually had a not so nice run in with his girlfriend.
                              My mom lives in the same area as Nicole Kidman and LeAnn Rhimes.

Comment

Working...
                              X