Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Thailand - Anyone been?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thailand - Anyone been?

So we jumped at the chance when my Dad offerred to trade in his Marriott timeshares for our honeymoon and our pick was Thailand. Tons of frequent flyer miles later (yay long distance relationship is good for something!), we've booked our flights from the US to Thailand!!

We're going to Bangkok, Chiang Mai (in the north), and Phuket (beach in the south).

Has anyone been? Any recommendations? Also, we haven't booked ways to get between cities - should we fly? Or take a train?

ANY advice would be definitely appreciated.
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

I have been to Bangkok, Chang Mai, and Chang Rai and some other spots around the Golden Triangle. It was a while ago. I flew from Bangkok to Chang Mai. I'm not sure about ground transportation because I had a limited amount of time.

Have a great time! Do you have the Lonely Planet guide? I borrowed a friends for that trip.

Have fun!

Comment

No, but have a ball!

Remember, what happens in Bangkok, stays in Bangkok. Unless you want to send us shots of any excesses you may indulge in on your iphone.

Kelly
      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Here is a little blip about Bangkok:

http://www.hemispheresmagazine.com/2...gkok-thailand/

I have fun reading these for a starting point. It is armchair travel for the ADD set.

Comment

I have. I love Thailand. I could spend all my time just eating. I have taken the train and flown- it depends on your budget and the amount of time you have.

I was only in Phuket briefly but spent alot of time at other beach locales- Ko PhaNgan, Rai Lei beach, Krabi- all totally awesome.

One recommendation would be to try to hit Angkor Wat if possible. It is really amazing and worth it. It is fairly easy to take the short flight over there, stay a night or two, then fly back.

PM me if you want to talk more....
          Mom to three wild women.

Comment

re: Angkor Wat, I have heard the same and I regret not carving out the time to go.

Comment

No advise but color me jealous
              Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

For those who flex, did you take ThaiAir? I'm trying to avoid a travel agent, etc but not sure on airlines.

Also, was it fairly easy to set up excursions once you're there. I'm dying to get DF on an elephant (seems like a common tourist attraction in Chiang Mai) - he's 6'8'' with the loooongest legs, I think that'll make for a funny photo op.
                Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

It is really really easy to set up flights and train travel once you are there. The train is also really fun and very comfortable. Around bedtime someone comes around and converts your seat into bunk beds with nice sheets and everything.

If you are thinking of Angkor Wat, we got visas in advance before we left but I think they do them on arrival. We did a cheesy pseudo fake village tour in Chiang Mai and went to it by elephant.
                  Mom to three wild women.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                    No advise but color me jealous
                    Ditto! Sounds like a great honeymoon!

Comment

I've been to Bangkok and Phuket. We flew between the two because we were short on time. At my blood donation experiences since then, I've been told I could still donate because I flew between the two, but that if I had gone over land I would have gone through a malarial region and would be ineligible to donate. Take that for what it's worth to you, which may be nothing!

We really enjoyed both. Ayutthaya was a nice day trip from Bangkok. We went on a bus tour that brought us back to Bangkok by boat, and I wouldn't miss seeing Bangkok from the river. Ayutthaya also had plenty of elephants you could ride. Then again we may have done that day trip because we didn't have time to go to Chiang Mai. There may be some overlap there.

Let me know if you have any questions, and enjoy the food!

Comment

Working...
                      X