Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Chicago visit help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vishenka69 View Post
    Thanks for more tips. For the boat tours, are they all the same or are some better than others? For instance, in NY, the ones that leave from downtown (and are harder to find) are way less-touristy and cheaper than the midtown ones.
    The Chicago Architecture Foundation has many tours. This is the one I think most of us are talking about: http://www.architecture.org/tour_view.aspx?TourID=8

It's great. It's super duper touristy and very low on content, but very nice.
    I've heard the walking tours are good - there's so much to see on foot (in the Loop, for instance, and they show you interiors (you won't see them on the boat tours, obviously).
    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I have done the boat tour as well as a walking tour from the Architecture foundation and enjoyed both. I actually think the boat tour has a fair amount of architectural content, especially compared to, say, the Circle Line.

I've been to Chicago quite a few times, but pretty much always visiting friends, so I'm sort of lacking on the brilliant suggestion front.
      Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Alison, I've made reservations at Adobo in Wicker Park (liked their menu better) and the link to Architecture tours was great, DH is picking what he wants, but we'll def take the boat tour. Too bad Frank Lloyd Wright tours are only once a week at a time we can't make.

We'll be staying on W Huron St (near Brown and Red subway stops on Chicago Ave). Are there good breakfast places nearby? Suz, the ones you posted are kind of a schlepp from where we'll be.

Southport (the part just west of Lakeview and Wrigley Field) has a fun boutique-y shopping district. Here's a link. Southport Ave. is mentioned about 2/3s of the way down. Old Town (North/Wells) is also nice for shopping and restaurants.
        I just realized there was no link. Also, if at all possible can you be a bit more specific as to which streets/blocks are worth visiting? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jane View Post
          Tempo is my favorite brunch / breakfast place (I even dragged Auspicious there).
          This is actually pretty close to our hotel. I'm glad I know there's a reliable place that's open 24/7, DH often gets hungry at weird hours (I guess working nights will do that).

Comment

Alison, I've made reservations at Adobo in Wicker Park (liked their menu better) and the link to Architecture tours was great, DH is picking what he wants, but we'll def take the boat tour. Too bad Frank Lloyd Wright tours are only once a week at a time we can't make.

We'll be staying on W Huron St (near Brown and Red subway stops on Chicago Ave). Are there good breakfast places nearby? Suz, the ones you posted are kind of a schlepp from where we'll be.

I just realized there was no link. Also, if at all possible can you be a bit more specific as to which streets/blocks are worth visiting? Thanks.
            I've never been to the Wicker Park Adobo location, but you MUST have a margarita there! And the tableside guacamole. And the mango en mango dessert is really good, too, if you've still got room at the end of your meal.

I'm sorry that I didn't give you the link. I am notorious for sending things off without attachments and without links...

http://www.frommers.com/destinations...006023037.html
            Scroll about 3/4s of the way down the page and you'll see the blurb on Southport with details about the specific blocks that are good for shopping. There's a Julius Meinl cafe on Southport and Addison that is packed at all hours of the day with moms and kids, but is a nice pit stop for a coffee and cake if you can get a table.

Comment

Last time DH and I were in Chicago we ate at Bin 36. It's a wine bar/restaruant. Then we went to see a show -- Monty Python Spamalot. It was a great night out!

Comment

Another question, is there a good Thai restaurant in Chicago? DH hates the 3 we have here and I've been really craving Thai lately. I also made reservations at the sushi place you recommended, so I'm hoping to plug the free night with another ethnic place.

Comment

Another question, is there a good Thai restaurant in Chicago? DH hates the 3 we have here and I've been really craving Thai lately. I also made reservations at the sushi place you recommended, so I'm hoping to plug the free night with another ethnic place.
                  I'm not the biggest fan of Thai food, but my dh really likes Arun's. It's quite expensive though. I think you'll like Sushi Wabi. Please don't try to get there with public transportation. It's a quick cab ride from downtown.

Also, don't try to walk to Wicker Park from downtown. It's pretty close, but you'll go through a very dangerous part of town (Cabrini Green).

Comment

This is actually pretty close to our hotel. I'm glad I know there's a reliable place that's open 24/7, DH often gets hungry at weird hours (I guess working nights will do that).
                    It's awesome. Just know they don't take credit cards. Gotta have cash.

Comment

Originally posted by radwife View Post
                      Last time DH and I were in Chicago we ate at Bin 36. It's a wine bar/restaruant. Then we went to see a show -- Monty Python Spamalot. It was a great night out!

If I am not mistaken Bin36 is in the same building or next to the Hard Rock Hotel? I used to eat there when I would stay @ that hotel on business...that was about 10 years ago when they were new...it was good back then. They must be doing something right to still be alive in that location.

Comment

Alison, can we take the subway to Wicker Park or should we cab it there? I'll look into Arun's.

Jenn, thanks for the cash tip. We usually never carry any.

Suz, I'll look into Bin36. I've stayed in Hard Rock once but don't remember that place.

Comment

Bin 36 is amazing- at least it was when I went back in '03.

It is somehow attached to the Hard Rock. I don't remember as we had LOTs of samples of the wine there- lots and lots of flights of wine. Yum!

Jenn

Comment

Yes, take the blue line to Milwaukee. Alternatively, you can take the North Avenue bus (#72) westward or the Milwaukee bus (#56) to get to Wicker Park. If you need help finding a bus, just ask around -- people usually don't know the bus numbers, but call the buses by what street the route is ("North Avenue bus," for instance).

It's just the area between Wicker Park/Bucktown and downtown that is an iffy place to walk through.

Also, as of 2 or so years ago, Chicago cabbies have to accept credit cards. Do check once before you hop in a cab, because otherwise they'll claim their machine is broken if you get in and then ask. They'll grumble, but this saves on having to carry a ton of cash around with you!

Comment

www.yourcta.com has a good trip planner, btw.

Comment

Working...
                              X