Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Bored: Need New Timewasters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bored: Need New Timewasters

So I'm bored lately. Especially in the evenings when I'm not in Cleveland. I run in the mornings and I don't really have any friends where I live. So...what are your favorite websites to waste time on? I'm not really a shopper so that doesn't work. I love current events and especially longer pieces (NYTimes and Boston Globe Magazines come to mind) though I don't like politics all that much. I love human interest stories, sports, etc.

Anyone have any ideas???? Please, I'm dying of boredom!!!
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Hang out with me in Cleveland! DrK is out of town next weekend.
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Haha, I'd have to BE in Cleveland for that to be possible.
      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Do you blog? - it is incredibly addicting (both to read and to write)... you can find ones on any subject, from politics, baking, crafting, money saving, celebrity gossip to the just plain random and entertaining....

a few of my favorites are:

Bakerella
        Coupon Cravings
        Psychotic letters from men (trashy entertainment)

Blogger also has bloggers of note in which they feature different bloggers every week.

I also find facebook to be highly addicting and wasteful of many hours of time!
        Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

www.sporcle.com
          Veronica
          Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Originally posted by MarissaNicole3 View Post
            I also find facebook to be highly addicting and wasteful of many hours of time!
            This waste many hours for me!!
            Brandi
            Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Well I guess I feel differently about Facebook than most people because I deleted my account because I felt like it was time to start living my own life rather than sit around reading about other peoples'. I do like to online shop sometimes but I truly enjoy crossword puzzles because I feel they are at least mentally stimulating and I can improve my vocab. However, my favorite thing to do with free time? Volunteering. By far the best thing to do with a few extra hours...and you also have the potential added benefit of making some friends!

Comment

My favorite time waster is knitting. That hooked me up to ravelry.com which is a giant time suck in and of itself.
                Kris

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
                  I love current events and especially longer pieces (NYTimes and Boston Globe Magazines come to mind) though I don't like politics all that much. I love human interest stories, sports, etc.
                  Do you ever read Slate? They have a lot of really interesting content, and it was the first thing I thought of when you said this. Also, The Atlantic and Vanity Fair are great for longform feature stories.
                  Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

My vote is that you make a plan for your day in advance. Go to the mall, a museum, read a good book, start writing a good book, go for a walk someplace you have never been and bring your camera, meet a new friend, call an old friend ... Don't look for time Wasters. Sign up for college classes or something. Life is short. Don't waste it.

Kris
                    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Ah, should have been more clear. Time wasters when I HAVE to be somewhere with internet access and no clear plan. Examples would be waiting for flights in the airport or downtime at work.

I spend as little time as possible at my computer each day and am constantly outside with the dog, training for marathons, etc. It's just that when I HAVE to sit at the computer, I want something to do.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanchild View Post
                        Do you ever read Slate? They have a lot of really interesting content, and it was the first thing I thought of when you said this. Also, The Atlantic and Vanity Fair are great for longform feature stories.
                        I will definitely check out Slate! Thanks for the tip!

Comment

LOL Well, WE are happy to be your time waster in that sort of a situation. There is always someone here to talk to. LOL

Kris
                          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

A few of my favorites (as I am currently sitting in an airport on my laptop...):

(1) http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Wikiversity:Main_Page

(where I randomly learn something new)

(2) Woot.com (read the explanations, they crack me up)

(3) http://shirt.woot.com/ (see above)

(4) http://www.whynot.net/

(5) Yelp.com (I keep a running list of things I should try to go check out wherever I am)

Good luck!

-C
                            Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Ever since having kids, I've been unable to waste time even if I really try! So there ya go...my remedy for boredom is to have children. You'll never say you're bored again!
                              Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

Working...
                              X