Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Chia Obama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chia Obama

So I was just watching some TV on the channel TLC. While I was watching this advertisement came on for Chia Obama. It is just like a Chia pet that I had when I was a kid, except that it is President Obama's head. I find this very strange. There is even two different faces you can get, deteremined or happy Obama. I thought this was a SNL skit at first. Anyone every seen this before? Here is the website, I had to google it to make sure it wasn't a fake.. But it is real, real and creepy.

http://chiaobama.com/
    Brandi
    Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Very odd - do they have to have his permission or provide royalties since they are profiting on his likeness?

Do you really think people will buy this - I mean for something other than a gag gift?

(Thread hijack - did you make to STL safely - how do you like it?)
    Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Well, they have had Chia Mr. T and Chia Bart Simpson...so...why not Chia Obama? LOL Anything for a buck. I'm sure the lawsuits will commence any minute now! LOL

Kris

PS Insomnia sucks. Did you know that Chia also makes The Clapper?
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I guess since he is the first President that can grow a proper afro, it made sense to them
        Danielle
        Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Oh wow...slightly disturbing. Well, I can say, I can happily hold onto my wallet here, I am not the slightest bit tempted.

But it reminds me of the Obama-supporters I'd see on the news who literally had a shrine in their homes. Shirts, cups, knick-knacks, etc. I'm sure that is who this would be marketed to...but still...wow.

-C
          Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

I'm more along the lines of Danielle's train of thought: tacky and could be construed as racist... but I'll just leave it at moronic marketing
            Last edited by Momo; 07-15-2009, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pinkpickles View Post
              I'm more along the lines of Danielle's train of thought: tacky and could be construed as racist... but I'll just leave it at moronic marketing
              Ditto. So so tacky.
              married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Well, if they sell, at least he's finally contributing something to the economy.

Yea! to the free market. Maybe his economic advisors can take a lesson.

Comment

Not Funny.

Jenn

Comment

I suppose it is the price of being a political figure. It reminds me of the Hillary Clinton nut cracker from a few seasons back. The market certainly got money out of making fun of GWB. Just think of the calendar revenues from all those GWB quotes!

Obviously, I'm not interested. I do think it comes off as more of an insult than an homage item. Except for the massive sales of memorabilia after this "historic election" moment, I think most of th items for sale that use a sitting political figure are meant as items of ridicule - not honor. I'm sure we can find Mark Sanford T- shirts now that didn't exist last month and I'm afraid to google for Sarah Palin stuff!
                    Angie
                    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
                      I suppose it is the price of being a political figure. It reminds me of the Hillary Clinton nut cracker from a few seasons back. The market certainly got money out of making fun of GWB. Just think of the calendar revenues from all those GWB quotes!

Obviously, I'm not interested. I do think it comes off as more of an insult than an homage item. Except for the massive sales of memorabilia after this "historic election" moment, I think most of th items for sale that use a sitting political figure are meant as items of ridicule - not honor. I'm sure we can find Mark Sanford T- shirts now that didn't exist last month and I'm afraid to google for Sarah Palin stuff!
                      I don't know if he should have to pay the price of being a political figure when it comes to poking fun at his appearance.

What comes out of their mouths is fair game, I would say.
                      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I thought it was kinda disrespectful. But after the things we say about politicians, I guess nothing surprises me anymore.

Oh and we did get all moved in, and I LOVE St. Louis!!
                        Brandi
                        Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

I think I might need to pick one up for the Christmas white elephant gift exchange!

Comment

Walgreens has pulled them from their stores.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/200...llgreens-pull/

Comment

I wonder how many more will follow?
                              Brandi

Comment

Working...
                              X