Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

A letter to the editor (American Baby)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A letter to the editor (American Baby)

I just wanted to share this with everyone here...
    This magazine had some good articles in it, and I enjoyed reading it. But I guess it bothered me that it didn't have any mention of DO's in the articles. Anyway, I thought I would voice my opinion on the matter. This is the letter that I sent them...(please note that I have nothing against any MD's, 90% of my Dr's have been MD's....just sticking up for the named docs, and my wife is a DO!)

Dear Editor:

Upon receiving the current issue of American Baby, I was please to read several articles and came across one that really stuck with me. The article ‘Choosing Dr. Right’ really made an impression on me. In the piece, you list many good ideas and I agree with most. I was quite shocked when I read the insert ‘Who’s Who’.
    The trouble with this piece was the listing of the doctors as ONLY MD. In today’s society there is a wealth of outstanding physicians that are D.O.’s. That is, they are Doctors of Osteopathy. I am sure that you are aware of them; they have been around since 1874! The fact is that both D.O.s and M.D.s are fully qualified physicians licensed to perform surgery and prescribe medication in all 50 states. Is there a difference between the two kinds of doctors? Yes and no.
    Applicants to both D.O. and M.D. colleges typically have a four-year undergraduate degree with an emphasis on scientific courses. Both have completed four years of basic medical education. After medical school, both D.O.s and M.D.s can choose to practice in a specialty area of medicine- such as psychiatry, surgery, or pediatrics- after completing a residency program which requires an additional two to six years of training. Both D.O.s and M.D.s must pass state licensing examinations. Both practice in fully accredited and licensed health care facilities. The difference is that osteopathic medical schools emphasize training the medical student in primary care. D.O.s also receives extra training in the musculoskeletal system, and incorporate osteopathic manipulative treatment (OMT) in their training and practice. With this skill, (OMT), D.O.s use their hands to diagnose illness and injury and help encourage the body’s natural tendency toward good health. When included with other medical procedures, D.O.s offer patients the most comprehensive care available in medicine today.
    With more than 48,000 D.O.s in practice today, it seems negligent not to include them in your periodical. This is brought home more so in that more than half of practicing D.O.s are doing so in primary care, i.e. pediatrics, family medicine, OB/Gyn and internal medicine. Most practice in medically underserved areas and rural settings.
    As a spouse of a 2nd year pediatric resident who graduated from an Osteopathic School of Medicine, I felt compelled to respond to this article. Hopefully this will cause you to think twice before limiting some very well trained physicians in the future.

Sincerely,

Matt Black
    Mission, KS

Matt,

Great letter! I'm glad you sent it. I have noticed that more and more magazines seem to be including DOs for quotes, sources, etc. American Baby needs to get on the ball!

Sally
    Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

That is a great, well-written letter. I hope they publish it!

Comment

That was a well-worded letter! It will look great in print!

From another D.O. spouse,
        Robin

Comment

Excellent job Matt-

I'm going to metion it to my husband's peer who is a DO. I'm sure she'll be looking for it. Hopefully, they'll publish it.

Jenn

PS- I don't see MDs as a rule either- the Army sends me to the Family Practice clinic and I am seen 90% of the time by Nurse Practitioners!

Comment

Matt,

Thanks for the great letter! My husband's a DO, and a very good one too. I've found a lot of ignorance out there about what it is, even among the medical community ("That's like a chiropractor, right?" NO!), but once they see what he can do with the OMT, they're very interested in learning techniques.

Eliz

Comment

I am so excited to see so many DO spouses in this group. My DO spouse practices in a group that has an equal amount of DOs and MDs. Ohio is very friendly to DOs. We know of many places in Texas that are reluctant to hire them. They are truly ignorant to what training goes on. In fact my husband had an extra year of residency and experience compared to the MDs that only did a 3 yr EM program. Go figure.

A proud DO wife!!
              Trisha

Comment

Nice letter Matt!

I will look for it since I just sent in for a subscription to American Baby.

My husband is a DO also!

Jennifer
                Needs

Comment

i noticed that too!

I mentioned the same thing to my husband, who will be a DO in May. I am glad I am not the only one. My pediatrician growing up was a DO and I can't think of someone who could have given better care. Cheers to you!

Comment

I remember reading a similar letter to the editor in another parenting magazine (was it possibly Parents?). It was virtually identical in theme so I surmise this is a common problem for you guys with DO spouses. I grew up with DO's as my only physicians (in Texas btw ). And, while my husband was a med student at UTSW (MD place) I had a pair of DO's as my ob's for my high-risk twin pregnancy/delivery. I have only good things to say about DO's and agree that any skepticism or discrimination towards them is unfounded and silly.
                    Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                    With fingernails that shine like justice
                    And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Thanks for writing a great letter!

Proud to be Married to a DO

Comment

Working...
                      X