Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Baby or wedding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to try tonight. DH told me to drink a crap load of water until then.

Comment

You said he cries if you are gone for only a few hours? A 4 month baby can usually make it 4 hours with out feeding...especially if it's just a onetime event. Try to cluster feed before you leave him (like every 15-20 min for about 2 hours beforehand to 'tankhim up'.

The biggest thing I'm reading fromyour post is that he doesn't seem to be able tone comforted by anyone but mom. You might want to also work on that instead if just the bottle issue. Do you have a baby carrier? Like an Ergo or a sling or a Bjorn? Encouraging dad to wear him during the day will help dad learn ways to comfort him. And if he likes the carrier, grandma and grandpa can wear him too. Russ used to wear Daegan when he mowed, washed dishes, played video games. It was really helpful since Daegan was so fussy (in hindsight - I didn't realize that wasn't the norm at the time ). Daegan also likes to watch Russ playvideo games. If you DH plays, maybe the baby would watch? Both of mine were 'watching' the TVby 4 months old. Does he like a bath? Could dad give him a bath when you aregone? Maybe dad and baby in the tub together? That could pass a bit of time.

But as to you original question, I think it's reasonable to skip adult only affairs when you have an exclusively breastfed baby.
      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Hi Michele, I will feed Pierce and as soon as I leave he will start crying. He's not hungry, but is just used to being with me all day. I hold my babies alot and we co-sleep. I definitely use carriers, so maybe we can get DH to use one when he can, all though he is on surgical rotation right now. I swear I just keep changing my mind as to whether we should go or not. I have until this Friday to decide.

Comment

You may have already tried this...but I would pump on one side while bf'ing on the other side. I was always able to pump more that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Makai View Post
            You may have already tried this...but I would pump on one side while bf'ing on the other side. I was always able to pump more that way.
            Yup, DH just told me to try this. Of course I have yet to try pumping again. I am such a procrastinator. But today, I gave him some rice cereal and he was so happy! He has been wanting to eat. I even gave him seconds.

Comment

We went to the ped. yesterday. One reason he wants to nurse so much is because he's not getting enough calories from my milk, so we will start supplementing with formula after I nurse him. This will also help him to take milk from someone else. She also suggested that I *gasp* put him down more and keep him in his bouncy more. Finally, she said that DH and other people need to hold him for longer periods so that he can get used to others. So DH is supposed to hold him for at least a 1/2 hour while I leave the room or go on an errand. Yesterday, DH held him for 0 minutes even after I told him what the ped. suggested, so we'll see how that goes. But she said I should definitely go to the wedding and he will be ok. So I RSVP'd. I'm excited!

Comment

Have hubby wear the baby while hanging out at home or working in the yard. Heck, even grocery shopping or a trip to Home Depot. I have a tan Ergo you can borrow if your carrier isn't "manly" enough. Hubby loved the Ergo!

Good luck and I'm proud of you! I missed a wedding because it was "no kids allowed" and I couldn't find childcare that would allow me to nurse and then be gone a few hours (needed a sitter in Dallas).
                Veronica
                Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Good for you Christine! It is really hard for the little ones. Since we have moved back into my parents house, I have been asking them to be the ones to get Sophie up from her naps so she is used to seeing someone else instead of just me. It is getting better, she is more readily comforted by them than she was even just a week ago.
                  Kris

Comment

Originally posted by v-girl View Post
                    Have hubby wear the baby while hanging out at home or working in the yard. Heck, even grocery shopping or a trip to Home Depot. I have a tan Ergo you can borrow if your carrier isn't "manly" enough. Hubby loved the Ergo!

Good luck and I'm proud of you! I missed a wedding because it was "no kids allowed" and I couldn't find childcare that would allow me to nurse and then be gone a few hours (needed a sitter in Dallas).
                    Thanks for the offer! Luckily, we do have a Bjorn, which DH really likes. Unluckily, he is on surgery. He is still not taking that much formula at all, but I am being persistent with it. Now if I could find a girdle for the wedding to hold in my mommy pooch!! Anyone tried Spanx?
                    Last edited by Chrisada; 08-17-2009, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisada View Post
                      Anyone tried Spanx?
                      Yes, I love Spanx! Also Assets from Target, which were less expensive and work nearly as well last time I checked.

Good luck!
                      Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                      Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                      Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Spanx rock- the Assets are good but not industrial "am i doing permanent damage to my internal organs?" strong.

Jenn

Comment

I'll be spending more on the Spanx than on the dress! But I have a serious pooch, you know that little roll that hangs!

Comment

I think Spanx should be illegal!!!! I couldn't breathe.
                            Luanne
                            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I'm late here but this happened to me too often.

Both of my oldest kids refused bottles. It was AWFUL.

I would either take baby or stay home. To me, it's not fair to the people you leave baby with including the older child. It was MY idea to breast feed knowing this was a potential downside.

I'd plan a different outing with my husband to soften the blow of bring baby or not going at all.

But that's me. Needless to say DS #2 and child #3 in my house was completely bottle fed.
                              Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Originally posted by Flynn View Post
                                I'm late here but this happened to me too often.

Both of my oldest kids refused bottles. It was AWFUL.

I would either take baby or stay home. To me, it's not fair to the people you leave baby with including the older child. It was MY idea to breast feed knowing this was a potential downside.

I'd plan a different outing with my husband to soften the blow of bring baby or not going at all.

But that's me. Needless to say DS #2 and child #3 in my house was completely bottle fed.
                                You know that is exactly how I felt at first. But after talking to the ped. I really feel that he will be ok. after every nursing, I am now supplementing with a bottle. He is making progress, though slowly. I am also putting him down more and letting him cry occasionally (really hard for me). But DH and I rarely leave our children and hardly ever have an adult evening out. And he is really looking forward to going and seeing me get dressed up! He even helped me pick out a dress. I'll probably hire a babysitter during the next couple of weeks and leave him with her for an hour to help with the adjustment. But I know at the end of the day,he'll be ok.

Comment

Working...
                                X