Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

How old were you when you got married?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How old were you when you got married?

To those of us married folks...how are were you when you got hitched? I'm just curious. I read an article today about the argument for and against "early" adult marriage (after 20 and before 25). And, if you have kids, would you counsel your kids to marry at that age if they wanted to?

I'll start...

Married at 22. I would not have a problem with my kids marrying at that age--I would just hope they'd be out of undergrad. Although, I know several people who married right out of high school or during college, and they have very solid, long-lasting marriages.

From 26-30 w/ the first one and 33-present (9.5 years) with the real one.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn View Post
      From 26-30 w/ the first one and 33-present (9.5 years) with the real one.

Jenn
      Similarly for me: 24-27 with the first, 30-present (8.5 years) with the real one.
      Sandy
      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Married at 26 (DH was 25). I wouldn't care when E got married as long as I thought he was mature enough to take on that responsibility. Life experience means a lot more to me than age.
        Danielle
        Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

29 for me (husband was 33).

I'm sure it goes without saying that I want my kids to get married when they are personally ready and they've met the right person and their relationship is ready blah blah blah. All other things being equal, I guess I do kind of think of 26, 27, 28 as some kind of ideal.

I think whether I would internally freak out about my kids having an "early" adult marriage would truly depend on the individual kid. It is the best course of action for some people, it is not for others. Same with them getting married late or never.
          Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
          Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
          Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

We were both 26. When my mom got married, she was 22. I can't imagine having gotten married just out of college, but my mom was much MUCH more mature than I was at 22.
            married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

27. It would depend on the kid and relationship.
              -Ladybug

Comment

I was 24 and DH was 23. We were out of college for two years, but did not know each other in college.

Comment

I was 19. I don't think I would recommend it, but it works for me. Next week will be our 13th anniversary.
                  Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I was a month shy of my 25th bday and dh was 26. We had been dating/living together for three years before we made the decision. I think it depends on the person when it comes to when one is ready to marry more than the specific age. I believe that you should be together for quite a while first though. My parents got married at 28 (mom) & 30 (dad).
                    Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

I was 30, met DH at age 27. I agree with Ladybug that it depends on the child and the relationship. I think I would like them to be out of college though.
                      Needs

Comment

i was 23, dh was 24
                        ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

We were both 24 - and I think it totally depends on the person. It not only has to be the right person but the right time for both people. People change so much in their late teens and early twenties, therefore its important that you change and grow with eachother.
                          Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

DH and I were just shy of 26, if he hadn't gone to medical school we probably would have gotten married closer to the end of undergrad. We'd been together 5 years when we got married and are turning 33 this year.

I agree it depends on the child and the relationship but I would hope my kids would wait until they were at least mostly done with college.
                            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

We were engaged in secret our senior year of high school. DH gave me my engagement ring, after he sold his car, on prom day. I only wore it on dates, and gave it back to him after the dates were over, reluctantly. Got married at 18, 8 months after graduation, been married over 10 years.

I would suggest to my kids to wait, as I believe we are wildly blessed and definitely not the norm. But if they were were set on it, I'd try to get them the best counseling I could and pray for the best. Kids will do what they want, can't change it, just try to damage control.

Btw do I win the youngest hitched award?
                              Last edited by Color_Me_Sulky; 08-10-2009, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X