Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

White Coat Ceremony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DH's medical school white coat was shorter, but not remarkably so. I probably couldn't tell if I wasn't looking for it. But he's pretty tall, so maybe that made a difference. Theirs were embroidered with their name and school name for MS. They had to pay for their own embroidery in residency, but it was so cool seeing the M.D. after his name!

DH probably won't ever wear a white coat anymore now that he's only doing anesthesiology. They just wear scrubs. I liked seeing him in his coat, but he loves wearing his "pajamas" at work.
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

DH only wears his white coat over his scrubs when he's in hospital but not in the OR - when he's in clinic he wears a suit. I believe the nice embroidered one he received in med school is down stairs in a closet
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanchild View Post
        Those of you who love white coats, tell your spouses not to go into pediatrics - DH didn't even get a long coat.

Crystal, congrats! I hope med school is smooth sailing!
        DF is a PGY-1 in peds and he got a long coat with his name embroidered on it. He had a short coat with a name tag throughout med school. ::shrug:: It sounds as if the whole short/long coat varies by institution. I thought that it was standard across the medical field. It's interesting to read what others SOs/spouse have had in terms of white coats.
        Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
          DH only wears his white coat over his scrubs when he's in hospital but not in the OR - when he's in clinic he wears a suit. I believe the nice embroidered one he received in med school is down stairs in a closet
          So, it isn't all that exciting that my dh got his name embroidered on his coat? When dh was a resident, they didn't have their own coats with names on them either.

It's funny how they go from wearing their coats and stethoscopes on the bus/train/everywhere to absolutely HATING having to wear one. My dh hates it. He thinks it restricts his arm movements.
          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Originally posted by oceanchild View Post
            Those of you who love white coats, tell your spouses not to go into pediatrics - DH didn't even get a long coat.

Crystal, congrats! I hope med school is smooth sailing!

DH got 3 long white coats from peds and 3 from IM when he began. Since he had so many, we got one of the peds coats embroidered with all kind of characters. The kids loooooved that coat. Too bad it did not last him more than a year - because of all the colors, we could not bleach out the pedi grime.
            Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisada View Post
              I still remember the feeling when they gave 6'4 DH that tiny little short-ass coat . . .
              My DH (who is 5'8") had the opposite problem...they didn't do shorties at his med school. They got full-length MD coats from the get-go. Poor DH...I had to take in his sleeves!

Congrats! I'm glad they had a cool ceremony. DH's school didn't do a ceremony. They passed out the lab coats and told them (very unceremoniously) to report to their rotations.

Comment

I remember the excitement too when dh got his short white coat. We went home & took pics w/his stethascope then sent one to his mom. They didn't get any embroidery or anything. Dh got the long coat when he started residency. It just has the hospital name embroidered, no name or anything. He kind of hates wearing it now too. He says everyone -lab techs, lunch ladies, etc wear one so it kind of defeats the '"I'm a dr" cue that it is supposed to have. He prefers to just wear his scrubs with is namebadge clipped on.
                Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

I met dh for lunch the other day and he and his co-fellow walked towards me in their white coats (they were getting photos taken). All I could think of was the Muppet Show.
                  Attached Files
                  married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                    Stanford starts with long coats and the stitched name as well for med students. Are long coats standard in residency? They are here.
                    The only NSG program I know of that makes their residents wear shorties is...Mass Gen!

Comment

DF's white coat doesn't even come close to fitting him. It's a short coat that's a 3XL so it looks like a really wide garbage bag but is still too short. Apparently they don't make short coats for guys who are 6'8''.

He's on rotations right now at the Cleveland Clinic so he gets a longer coat - he's NOT looking forward to giving that back when he switches to UH.

I have a feeling that NO ONE fits well until they get a residents coat that they alter.
                      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I picked my MS3 DH up from the hospital last Saturday night, and when I saw him standing on the curb in his little shorty white coat, so gosh darn good looking, I was really excited for him to be doing this.
                        I still get a little flustered when I seek DrK "in uniform." And when he's working or at the hospital he walks and talks different too. It's really surprising . . . surprising is not the word. Exciting, perhaps? I don't know but it turns me on. When he worked in my brother's office, my SIL called to assure me that he looks and sounds like a doctor since I hadn't seen him at work yet. She said that she always wondered that about my brother before she had the opportunity to work with him.
                        Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

So, it turns out my DH will get a white coat eventually. But apparently nobody ever wears them. I guess it's a program thing, not a peds thing. DH says the coats scare kids.
                          Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Working...
                          X