Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reading?

What's everybody been reading this summer? Fun, trashy romances or heavy stuff you've got to conquer for college classes? Politics or pulp? History or "historical" fiction?

I'll start! I've been reading a random smattering of topics (including "Render Unto Caesar" and "Promiscuities"--how random is THAT?), but right now I'm reading "Heart of Darkness." Even though I was an English major, I have never read anything by Joseph Conrad. My hubbie has been bugging me to read this for years (one of his favorite movies, "Apocolypse Now," is sort of a re-telling of "Heart of Darkness"). So I've decided to get on the ball and conquer this one.

What's on everyone else's book menu?

Wow. How did you miss Heart of Darkness? I must have read that three times in college -- never liked it. In fact, by senior year I was avoiding classes that had it on the syllabus. However, the men in my classes loved that book. I wonder if it's just a guy thing. The book really lacks female characters and the women in the book are widely drawn as demons and virgins. Perhaps that's why I didn't like it. You'll have to let me know what you think.

I'm reading "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao." It's been slow going because I'm busy working and preparing for the move and frankly I'm just too tired to read. But it's engaging enough when I think to pick it up.
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Write now I'm reading Taming the Spirited Child. Time to get this two-year-old under control! I've also been reading books on the Tudors and The Last Empress of China. Finished reading The Power of Now by Eckert Tolbert a little while ago.

Comment

Leaving out academic literature that no-one cares about:

Zola - L'assommoir (love the gritty naturalist classics)
        Faulks - A fool's alphabet (okay but certainly not one of the author's finest works)
        Faulks - Engelby (excellent read, highly recommended)
        Adiga - The white tiger (thought it was alright, but certainly not worthy of the Booker prize)
        Naipaul - A house for mr Biswas (loved it, absolutely hilarious at times, )
        Murakami - Kafka on the shore (amazing, can't get enough of Murakami at the moment)

Comment

The Family Jeff Sharlet. I go early and read it in the car whilst waiting for DS1 & DD1 to get out of school.
          Last edited by Momo; 08-18-2009, 02:35 PM.

Comment

I am currently reading "Double Crossed: Uncovering the Catholic Church's Betrayal of American Nuns" (Briggs). I have a particular interest in this topic but am finding the book rather repetitive.

I recently finished "America America" (Canin), which is a lovely new fiction that I enjoyed a lot. And before that I read a couple books of Colorado history. I like having some background about where I'm living.
            Last edited by oceanchild; 08-18-2009, 02:38 PM.
            Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Oh I'm a big fan of Heart of Darkness. I'll be curious to hear what you think. I just finished Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson. I'm still deciding what I thought of it. There were elements I did not care for, but it's sticking with me in a good way. I'm in the market for a good recommendation for my next book so I look forward to hearing what everyone else is reading.

Comment

Two new female saints have nudged their way into my heart this summer.

Saint Gianna Molla -- wife, mother, doctor. A modern female, MARRIED saint

The story of a soul -- St.Therese of Lisieux who I love!! Another modern female saint. I *heart* the little way of St. Therese. I'm now reading a biography called Everything is grace, The Life and the Way of Therese of Lisieux which examines her spirtuality in the context of her life.

I signed up for some online classes offered through the STEP program at Notre Dame including a book group discussing St. Augustine's The Confessions. Even with the modern translations I find his language a bit...difficult. I'm hoping the dicussion group will help carry me through it. I am very curious since it's a singular book in that it's the only book addressed directly to God...well, other than Judy Blume's book.
                -Ladybug

Comment

I'm reading People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks and starting Replay by Ken Grimwood. I've got I'm Not the New Me by Wendy McClure lined up for brain candy (she is the one who put the 1970s Weight Watchers recipe cards on her blog or something). I'm also reading Raising Your Spirited Child to try to figure out how to do just that without duct-taping said child to the wall in her bedroom.

Comment

I just joined the library here and have a list of books I am going to check out. So far I have been reading fiction and non fiction that appeals to me. The ones I have enjoyed are:

The 19th Wife: David Ebershoff
                    Sarah's Key: Tatiana de Rosnay
                    Those who save us: Jenna Blum
                    The secret life of bees: Sue Monk Kidd
                    Dreaming in Color: Charlotte Vale-Allen

Autobiography:
                    Three little Words: Ashley Rhodes-Courter
                    Stealing love, Confessions of a dognapper: Mary A. Fischer
                    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

I'm on a Ken Follett phase: Pillars of the Earth, World Without End.
                      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I'm reading the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. I read the Sookie Stackhouse books this summer too (Southern Vampire Mysteries by Charlaine Harris).
                        Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

So far I've read (in the last two months):

Ladies of Liberty by Cokie Roberts (history/biography) - I started that over the winter and put it down until recently
                          The Commoner by John Burnham Schwartz (fiction - and very good - understated)
                          Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali (autobiography)
                          Protecting the Gift by Gavin De Becker (parenting)
                          Parenting the Strong Willed Child by Rex Forehand and Nicholas Long (parenting)
                          Public Enemies by Bryan Burrough (history) - not yet finished with this one; it's what I'm currently reading

The next books on my list (and currently sitting in my nightstand):

The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara (historical fiction)
                          Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (heavy fiction)
                          Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi (self-described as a "memoir")
                          Shogun by James Clavell (fiction)
                          Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                          With fingernails that shine like justice
                          And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Reading Lolita in Tehran was GREAT.

This summer I've read:

The Widow Cliquot (and thought Nellie and Julie the ENTIRE time- it's the biography of the Widow Cliquot who after her husband died at a very young age took the Cliquot vineyards and turned them into the power champagne house.) Great beach read.

When I thought I was going to London I got The Mystery Readers Walks in London which was really fun. Of course, I didn't get to London so...

I'm working my way through Eat, Pray, Love with Jenn Patel's voice in my head.

I read Finger Lickin' 15 for my brain candy- it's the next one in the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich.

I have The Family all lined up, I've been flipping through Ted Allen's cookbook and fell in love with the recipes in The Vegan Tropical Cook. Talk about some Fabo salad options!

After I read The Family, I'm going to have to find some more brain candy.

I also have The Family Tree Murders or something that I grabbed because I'm working on the family tree stuff so I thought that was perfect! Haven't started it yet.

I also got a book Place Names of San Antonio when I was researching the house (had to find pictures of the original porch for the grant application for the historic district). Turns out my street was named after the first Mayor Callaghan. The major Callaghan Road which runs through large sections of town was named after his son.

Jenn

Comment

Oh! I almost forgot that I also read books 1-7 of the Sisters Grimm series this summer! My daughters love that series and I decided to read it. It's really cute.
                              Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                              With fingernails that shine like justice
                              And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Working...
                              X