Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
    I'm on a Ken Follett phase: Pillars of the Earth, World Without End.
    I loved these books! I haven't read anything else by him, but I'd like to.

My guilty pleasure this summer was the Twilight series. Loved it! Right now, I'm reading a Christian/historical fiction book by Liz Curtis Higgs called Grace in Thine Eyes. I'm thinking about tackling Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged next.
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

i have water for elephants and a thousand speldid suns sitting and collecting dust. i have started both...set them down...said i was going to read them, have heard they're both wonderful...yet, have not picked them back up again.
      ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
        I'm thinking about tackling Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged next.
        I really enjoyed Atlas Shrugged, but just for the simple character dynamic. It starts off pretty slow and eventually picks up. Word to the wise on that book: the speech at the end...I have yet to find someone who has actually finished it... it is very redundant...

But, that being said, not a bad read. Enjoy! (Hopefully I didn't scare you off)
        Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal View Post
          the speech at the end...I have yet to find someone who has actually finished it... it is very redundant...
          That reminds me of The Jungle. Great book, very interesting, quick read. Then I think the last 5 pages took me a month to finish... Oh well, I'll see how it goes!
          Laurie
          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal View Post
            I really enjoyed Atlas Shrugged, but just for the simple character dynamic. It starts off pretty slow and eventually picks up. Word to the wise on that book: the speech at the end...I have yet to find someone who has actually finished it... it is very redundant...

But, that being said, not a bad read. Enjoy! (Hopefully I didn't scare you off)
            Totally on target - there's a 30 something page speech at the end which is a recap on the entire book....sort of like "well if you were stupid enough not to get it the first time, here it is in a reader's digest version" ---- which is something I could well imagine Ayn Rand saying. I was totally taken by her in my late teens and early 20s, but it wore off pretty quickly - she's just so totally into herself. "The Virtue of Selfishness" was probably the worst of it. The Fountainhead was a little less over the top than Atlas Shrugged.

I haven't had much time to read this summer, but I found a book on DW's stack of bestsellers from the library which I couldn't put down - terrible written, but the plot holds your interest - "Sworn to Silence" by Linda Castillo
            Enabler of DW and 5 kids
            Let's go Mets!

Comment

I haven't had a chance to read a real novel in months. Between running an unofficial B&B (i.e. hosting guests every weekend) and trying to be a responsible homeowner I've mostly stuck to short stories, Economist and chick lit on CDs. I miss long storylines with well developed characters. This thread is giving me a lot of good ideas though.

Comment

I am reading 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies' by Jane Austen and some other guy. I am not too far into it but so far it I am really getting a kick out of it.

I also have a History of Love by Nicole Krauss- slow going for me.

I am thumbing through a bunch of Edible Landscaping books 'cause I am starting to redo the yard at our new house.
                Mom to three wild women.

Comment

Reading has been a bit difficult with a newborn, so my list is kind of short. Nonetheless, I'm impressed by the caliber of books you all have choosen! I mean this as an all out compliment when I say that you all are eggheads.

For my humble list:

1)Dan Brown Digital Fortress This is first published book, which in truth is not as enjoyable as his other three novels in print, but entertaining nonetheless. It is very easy to put in a purse to have on hand. The chapters are quick and it lends itself to being picked up and put down frequently, a necessity in my life.

2)Thaler & Sunstein- Nudge I adore books which utilize economic principles to explain the world around us. If you enjoyed titles like Freakonomics or The Tipping Point, this is a must read.

3) A couple of trashy romance novels which do not merit mention.

Kelly
                  In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn View Post

I'm working my way through Eat, Pray, Love with Jenn Patel's voice in my head.
                    Awww - that made me smile. I'll get quite boring in the middle, but keep muddling thru. Let me know how you like the Family Tree Murders . That sounds right up my alley.

I've been reading voraciously this summer (even for me). Here's what I can remember reading since school let out:

Julie & Julia
                    Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse & Breaking Dawn (the whole series, 2 times thru -- just finished book 4 for the 2nd time today)
                    Harry Potter HBP (a 2nd time in prep for the movie)
                    People of the Book (per Nellie's rec, finished it before taking up the Twilight saga again)

I'm currently reading:

The Templar Legacy and also have Team of Rivals and Heat on my Reader. I've also got Sharp Objects sitting next to my computer but have been told it's disturbing and creepy and I don't like to read stuff like that before bed.

Comment

I'm currently re-reading James Herriot's books. I had forgotten how charming and enjoyable his stories are - perfect light reading for an animal lover like myself.

Comment

I'm still working on the 50 books for our time list. I gave up on the 1st one I started after 50+ pages and I'm onto the 2nd one. My IL's also gave me 5 of them in paperback for my birthday so I'll read those next. I'm not going to read them all because I'm not going to waste my time on something I don't find interesting but I'm going to at least attempt them all. I'll post short synopsis' of them in the book forum when I get through a couple.
                        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I'm also reading People of the Book. I'd also recommend her (Geraldine Brooks) earlier book, March, set during the Civil War, which I read earlier this summer
                          Also lately:
                          Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver
                          House of Mirth, by Edith Wharton
                          The Orchid Thief

and every book published on baby sleep, it seems

Comment

Originally posted by Cumberland View Post
                            I am reading 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies' by Jane Austen and some other guy. I am not too far into it but so far it I am really getting a kick out of it.
                            Jon and I saw that book at Barnes and Noble one night and had a good hysterical time thumbing through it. Tell me how it is when you're finished - does all the zombie violence get a little old or does the author keep the craziness up in a good way? We put that book down thinking it would be a great action/comedy movie.
                            Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                            With fingernails that shine like justice
                            And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I started tracking my reading a couple years ago and started adding mini-reviews about a year ago. It's a mix of stuff, but mostly SF/Fantasy, typically with a feminist and/or romance bent (except recently I've been reading Scalzi for some reason I still can't figure out). You can scroll through all the covers in the "already read" section and read the reviews down the right side:

http://apps.facebook.com/facebookshe...ple/1700475090
                              Sandy
                              Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Court motions, affidavits and orders.
                                Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

Working...
                                X