Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Etiquette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Etiquette

We have the annual Surgery Department picnic coming up this month. It is at the chairman of the surgery department's home. J went last year and was told not to bring anything. I read previously that when invited to someone's home you always bring something. What is the etiquette in this situation. If it is to bring something, what would you bring?

Thank you.
    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

I would take a small hostess gift.
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

They mean it. Don't bring anything. BUT- send a nice thank you card later.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn View Post
        They mean it. Don't bring anything. BUT- send a nice thank you card later.

Jenn
        Yes. Sending a thank you card makes so much sense. Sometimes the most obvious course of action is the hardest to come up with for me. Thank you
        -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
        Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
        Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

I guess I should suggest something!!!! Williams Sonoma has some nice Kitchen candles and soap & lotion sets.
          Luanne
          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Since it's a picnic, we would probably bring beer...
            ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
            -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I usually bring a hostess gift and send a thank you note....but I am very oooold school. I luuuv, luv the idea of calling cards, etc.

At the last event I took a set of really nice paper plates/napkins that a chi chi boutique store put together for me and wrapped. I thought it was one of those things that you see and think that is pretty - would love to have it but do not want to spend the $ on. The hostess seemed very pleased.
              Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

FWIW,
                Depending on the shindig, we almost always bring either a bottle of good wine or something similar (beer, etc.) This has been accepted at private parties with hospital administrators as well as physicians' get togethers. We've never been rejected.

RB

Comment

I agree, just send a thank you.

Comment

Working...
                  X